iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

boots

Started by Mr Mom, January 17, 2006, 12:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Mom

I need a good pair of boots.
     They have to be waterproof,steeltoes,and not to much money.
     I only wear workboots. My wife keeps trying to get to buy shoes but that is not going to happen.
     What do you guys wear???

Thanks alot Mr Mom

Tom

I generally wear Red Wing quarter boots.  They aren't cheap but last a long time in comparison to the boots I used to get from the department store.

Their costs is bordering on becoming prohibitive to me though.  I just haven't found anything else that is as good for much less money.

Wolverines are pretty good boots too.

I have really come to like the Oiled leather boots.  They seem to last longer, stay softer, are easy to waterproof and maintain.

Corley5

I like Red Wings too.  That's what I wear in the summer.  I also like Rockies.  I've had several pairs or their waterproof Gore Tex models.  I'm probably not going to buy any more Rockies though as many if not all of their shoes are made in China now ::) :( :(  Danner makes really nice boots but their price is pretty high.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

I buy and wear the Danner boots.

What's "too much money" ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Phorester

Redwings for me mostly.  I wear the steeltoed logger boots with the Vibram sole.  Cost around $160 or so.

Corley5

Over two hundred bucks a pair.  I can Red Wings for just over a hundred and Rockies for about the same depending on the model
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

brdmkr

I like wolverine with durashock soles.  They last a long time and are very comfortable.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

thurlow

Red Wing "Pecos"; get between 2 and 3 years per pair.  Been wearing them for 30-plus years.  Got a new pair for Christmas......$122.95;  mine are not steel-toe, but they make'em that are............
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Roxie

Cowboy Bob and I wear Justin Work Boots.   8)
Say when

rebocardo

I guess it depends on what you call waterproof. Many waterproof boots means a membrane that does not allow water through to the actual foot, though it still gets inside the boot by soaking through the leather. Which makes your foot cold and wet.

> They have to be waterproof,steeltoes,and not to much money.

Timberland is a good stand by.

My experience with Wolverines, worse shoddy China construction I ever bought. They basically became unglued and fell apart before the tread was even 1/2 worn. Oh yea, was the last time I was in Walmart too.  :D

www.sportsmanguide.com has a ton of reasonable boots. They have waterproof, steel toe, loggers for under $100 too. Have not personally tested them since I like side zip boots so I get the Bates with the steel toes.

iain

Wearing at the moment John Bull steelies

have got JB desert boots for the summer      nice boot

sounds like a dollar fifty a week to keep you in work aint that much to me

iain

Quartlow

I've got a pair of Carolinas that I wear around the shop, comfortable but the soles came unglued on the first pair, I can say they gave me no troulbe replacing them.

I've also got a pair of Brownings that I wear in the woods closest thing I've found to waterproof.

Most shoes are made in china these days, including some if not all of the danners
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Mr Mom

Thanks alot guys i wear my boots all the time for everything.
     I was thing about 150.00 is the limit.
     I need a boot that will keep my feet dry.
     Their is a store in P.A that sells most of the brands you guy have talked about.
     I guess that i will have to go and look at them all.

Thanks alot Mr Mom

srjones

You might also think about Viking boots.  They're about as waterproof as they come and steel toed too. 

Available at Bailey's and other fine retailers...

http://www.baileysonline.com/x-boots.htm
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

Modat22

I have redwings but I heat them up in the oven for a little bit and coat them with a beeswax based sealer called "Snow proof" or "Snoproof".
remember man that thy are dust.

crtreedude

On the finca I wear a good pair of redwings with Snow Proof (will I be deported for using Snow Proof in a country with no snow?) and around the house I wear sandles.

I have another, less pair of hiking boots (Timberland) just for kicking around town.

There is a pair of dress shoes somewhere just in case.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Quartlow

Quote from: Mr Mom on January 17, 2006, 02:34:15 PM
     Their is a store in P.A that sells most of the brands you guy have talked about.
     Thanks alot Mr Mom

The Boot Box? I do business there
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

beenthere

Mr Mom
I need to wear a boot the LETS my feet dry, as my feet sweat a lot in a boot. So the Danners I have grown to like come with the GoreTex sides, and that lets my feet breathe along with silk liners in wool socks. Even in the summer time, this sock combination keeps my feet dry. They also are waterproof to outside water, at least the first 4-5 years. I'm on my third pair now since buying the first pair in 1983.  It was my first elk hunt, and had only two weeks to get ready, as one in a party of 4 took ill. Danner boot claimed to be already 'broken in', and I found that to be true. Hiked in 9 miles in the mountains of CO when they were right out of the box. Through streams and 2' of snow.
Your $150 should get you a good boot.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mr Mom

Quartlow   Yes it is the boot box.
     I havent been there in a long time.
     I like all the stuffed animals that they have.

ksu_chainsaw

I wear a pair of Belleville boots that I got issued to me.  They are the 390DES style.  They are the most comfy combat boots that I have ever got- nothing like the old issue boots.  They make them in either black leather or tan swade, steel toe or regular.  Oly problem that I have had is some of the stitching holding the fabric to the leather came undone, but that was a cheap fix at the local leather shop.  They run around $95 for military or law enforcement, and higher for others, but thats about the same price I would pay for a pair of good jungle boots from the PX.

http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/index.htm

Charles

submarinesailor

Aren't Red Wings the only boot still make in the USA?

Bruce/subsailor

WH_Conley

I think some of them are made "over there now". >:(
Bill

SwampDonkey

Quote from: submarinesailor on January 17, 2006, 05:31:41 PM
Aren't Red Wings the only boot still make in the USA?

Bruce/subsailor

I like Red Wing also. Mine were $185 on sale, no steal toe. Has Gortex liner and are not real slippery on icy ground. I had some Viberg type boots (soles) and I couldn't stand up on frozen ground or hard, packed, frozen roads.  Felt like a cow on ice. ::) Be careful with Red Wing models if your looking for made in USA. Their Irish Setter line are Chinese now. Most all Canadian brands are Chinese made and all steal toed work boots. I can't wear those. And I don't knwo what it is about their construction, but my feet sweat in them badly, can't take that. Where I walk in the softwood ground there are lots of springs and wet areas that soak the lether all day, but the Red WIng has kept me dry unless I'm in a heavy down poor day with water running down my rain gear into my boots. :D  ::)

The local boot shop near where my folks live sold father a pair of 'sneakers' for $225. Irish Setter, but made in China. I told them to watch what they buy from that place, because they're big rip-off artists. Those sneakers aren't worth anymore than $50 if they're comming from China, it only cost them $5 to make. Shipping is worth more than the shoe.  If your feet sweat in a shoe, their CRAPOLA >:( My feet sweat in Walmart slippers, CRAPOLA. Can you guys say CRAPOLA?? :D Gosh, and their opening another Walmart this thursday. I'll be there will bells on, but not for shoes. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

maple flats

I like Red Wings too. Not using steel toe but plan to start. What I wear is their #1212, an insulated boot. i tend to wear them to the max. All day, every day. The ones i have on now are 8 years old and still are solid. I waterproof them about 6-8 x a yr using Snopruf. They don't leak in minor water but if you get caught standing in several inches of water you will eventually get wet. When I water proof them I warm the boot next to the woodstove or in the oven and apply then warm them again for a little while. I wear these year round, except weddings and funerals. 8)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Tom_Averwater

Redwings for me too .I even got married in a pair of Redwing shoes . There is a store on rt. 33 west of Logan, Ohio that sells seconds in Redwings. Alot of the shoes are actually new, first quality but sent back from the factory stores at the end of the seasons. A $150 pair of shoes were $85 - 90 .If anybody goes to the Paul Bunyan show, the store is about 20 miles west of Nelsonville. I'm on my third pair from there .
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Thank You Sponsors!