iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Catch and release...Cats!!!??

Started by martyinmi, April 18, 2013, 07:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

If we let live without culling out animals, we would be over-run with them.
Big snakes in the everglades, wild pigs, Canada geese,  are just some of the real potential nuisances that are either here or on the horizon for big problems.

Can't cull out people, but that is another future "big" problem facing a small world. IMO
Hope we don't follow the PETA people and quit culling animals when it is needed.

Some terrorists want to cull most of us, and they make no bones about going in that very direction.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Depends really. As beenthere and others suggest, sometimes you have to use some biological control methods. Where I live, I live just fine with them around: cats, foxes, skunks, moose...whatever. Others might find it over whelming. With a lot of those smaller critters they are always on the watch for rabies around here, although rarely a case. Then there was a time made over a moose that frequented a fellows back yard a lot. They warned of TB and other stuff that started with cattle to begin with.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

AdamT

It sounds like most people here might be dog people. If your dog, who more than likely doesnt know the property line, was to be baited, trapped and killed, how would you feel? I know it's just a cat, but your dog is also just a dog...

Now I'm not against killing a problem animal. I've killed a few cats, Im waiting on my distant neighbors dogs to show up when im around so i can kill her, and I kill hogs for a living. But seriously, how much harm can a single pet cat cause??

Kill the grubs, and the skunk will disapear

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

gspren

I live on a farm and town people drop cats at the end of the driveway every year because too many kids want a kitten and when it gets bigger they drop them in the country. I once caught people doing it and asked if I could bring any unwanted junk to their house and got a dumb look. Around here if you don't "get rid of" cats they will take over the out buildings.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

SwampDonkey

I've had to make sure I have good doors on my out buildings just the keep the coons and ground hogs out, but cats would be another reason. No way to keep squirrels out. If there ain't a way in, they'll make one.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

martyinmi

I'm thinking that quite a few of you folks are missing the point I'm trying to illustrate here.
I never have nor ever will kill a family pet. I am not baiting cats. My garbage is typically secure in one of my trash cans 95% of the time. That is not the issue, OK?
The task that I am trying to accomplish is ridding my property of unwanted animals that are destroying it.
Nothing more....Nothing less!
I can not catch skunks if my traps are occupied by cats.
Case in point was the HUGE orange tiger cat that I just returned to yet another neighbor a few minutes ago smiley_furious
I'm just looking for suggestions on how to politely inform my good neighbors that they need to keep their beloved family pets off my property and out of my garbage. In the last four years I've disposed of at least five cats that have been killed on my road. All but one were turned into home heat and domestic hot water by means on my gasifier.

I can assure all that I will catch and destroy the critters responsible for damaging my property. They will either be coyote and crow bait, or home heat if my OWB is still in use when I finally get them.

Peter- I can PROMISE you that if that bear comes onto my property and tears up garbage on my deck, or worse yet damages my Kamado grill, or even sets off my live traps, he most assuredly will die. I have eaten bear before and I like it!

Woodchucks,opossum, skunks, and coyotes will receive the same fate....however I will not consume them! ;D

I've ate woodchuck before and the taste sorta reminds me of what dead skunk might taste like smiley_smelly_skunk

No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do I say. The neighbors don't like their pets too well if they are free ranging and warned 2, 3 ,4 or more times about their cat.  ::)

Busy Beaver Lumber

Hey Marti

I have the perfect sign for you that we just made a few weeks ago on the CNC. winds up it is becoming one of our best sellers. Have already sold 6 of them for $9.95 each. Winds up there are more people that dont like cats than i would have ever thought, including myself. I am definitely a dog person. Put one of these up and maybe the neighbors will think twice about letting their cats roam free :rifle:

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

martyinmi

BBL,
I'll be needin' one of those signs! :D
Already sent you a pm ;)
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Al_Smith

Ground hog AKA woodchuck is not bad if it's prepaired correctly .Cat on the other hand might not be so good .

Now on the digging business cats are not equipted to such prolific excavaters as canines .They have retractable claws just about worthless for any amount of digging other than to bury their business in the soft soil of a flower bed .

Leave a little scrap of food lay out of the garbage can liberelly marinated with hot sauce . Especialy fish  because of the nature of a cat they can't resist it .They will gobble it down but about a day later it will fire them up when they expell it .Cats are slow learners but they'll figure it out given enough treatments .

I had a big ole tom by the name of George who thought he was a lion .George liked to raid the hot peppers from my ex wifes cooking .Growled and hissed but ate them any ways .About a day later in his kitty litter box more growling and hissing .He was so stupid he bit is own butt as it was on fire from the peppers .

Busy Beaver Lumber

Al_Smith

I think we have a picture of George the Tom Cat after an unfortunate encounter with a batch of hot peppers:

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

thecfarm

Busy beaver,that made me laugh out loud.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Quote from: red oaks lumber on April 19, 2013, 12:39:20 PM
why kill things? that just pithes me off when i hear stories about senseless killings.
live and let live!!

ROL;
I don't have a problem letting the critters live, but they are not going to do so at my expense!

Last summer we had a skunk that dug his way under the addition on the house and all through the day and night as long as it stayed there, it would emit it's foul odor and we'd smell it all through the house.  The smell would even wake us up at night.

I finally had it "right up to here" with this, day in and day out and then went out one day and tore the skirting from around the addition and the perpetrator finally left, but I saw him before he cleared my yard!  Guess what!  fudd-smiley 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

kderby

A huge percent of "lost" cats are never found.  I dispose of feral cats promptly and without apology.  I also live very rural.  The cats I catch are not a family pet that is lost.  We have four cats (2 barn and 2 house).  For the rest of them, the first time is the last time they enter the trap.

My yellow lab (dog) trotted through the log yard this week with a dead tom cat in his jaws.  For a labrador retriever to catch and kill a mature Tom, that takes some doing.  Not really behavior I want to encourage.  He sure looked proud of his catch.  We had seen it the night before so I knew it was around.  He found it first.

I used to be "live and let live."  I have decided that I do not feel bad swatting mosquitos, killing rats/mice or "putting down" feral animals.

KD

red

my neighbors cat got stuck up my tree I tried to help with my ladder but cat climbed higher  . . . lol
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

red

lots of talk of Bobcat Hybrid feral cats in the Pocono Mountains
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Al_Smith

I could never figure out why or how a cat can figure out how to climb a tree but be so stupid it can't climb down .However if you toss a cat in a pond even though they hate water they can swim as well as a dog .

Now George the wonder cat never sat on the commode to do his business but he would pee in the sink and turn the water on .He never turned it off though .

The cat was a dunce .Once he ate the babys fooler --whole .Of course it came out whole too .Boy oh boy did he growl then ,bit his butt too .

Had the baby on the bassenett to change his diaper .Little boy ,cold air ,they pee--with great pressure .Hit the cat between the eyes ,cat bit the dog,dog peed on the floor .I laughed ,ex wife laughed ,little baby giggled ,cat was still mad .

SwampDonkey

martyinmi

I agree SD.
Sounds like there has never been, nor will there ever be a dull moment in the Smith castle-no matter which queen sits at the throne! :D :D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

beenthere

QuoteI could never figure out why or how a cat can figure out how to climb a tree but be so stupid it can't climb down .

We never see a dead cat in a tree, so guess they can climb down.  ;D
south central Wisconsin

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

I could go on for days about George the wonder cat .That thing was so little when I got him he didn't  know how to drink from a saucer .Had to shove his little tiny nose in it .

I used to put that little kitten in my shirt and take him in a resteraunt which really annoyed my ex wife .When he got bigger he'd occasionally have sip of beer with me .He wasn't really too fond of it though .I'd get him wacked out on cat nip and was he a hoot .Had old George for about 18 years all 22 pounds of him .

Al_Smith

George made a terrible mistake once .Christmas day 1969 I was deploying outbound for 3 months on patrol from Rota Spain .Every time George saw my sea bag laying on the floor he knew I was going away .The cat got pizzed and that's exactly what he did on my sea bag .

George went to the vets and when he got back his title was no longer Tom .Caponed or not he was over two ,he already had the urge .While it slowed him down he could still do his Tomly duties .However dumb as he was he never again made the mistake of peeing on anything ever again .He probabely thought in his little cat brain the next time it might be his head . ;D

Thank You Sponsors!