iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fowarders

Started by Blue Sky, November 02, 2007, 07:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Sky

When was the first skidder-fowarder made, on a commercial basis.  I have an old Franklin Fowarder from 1972.  I have kept up the maintainence on this beauty for 10 plus years.  No HEAVY METAL here.  Just a nice 900-1000 bf foot carrying capacity.  Little in, little out.    Enchanted forester

Corley5

Gafner began making Iron Mules sometime in the 60s.  The first ones were only two wheel drive.  The wheels on the buggy weren't powered.

Here's our 1975 Iron Mule 5000
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

Most were developed during the early 1960's with the improvement of rubber tires. Machine development then increased and into the 1970's. The first Franklin, the "Franklin Logger" appeared in 1962.

As Corley stated, the Gafner Iron Mule was developeed in the early 1960's as one of the first. Many can still be found "working the woods".
~Ron

Deadwood

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I would have thought RG LeTourneau would have made something for the logging industry maybe a bit earlier than that. His Turn-Pulls were designed in the 30's or 40's and I would not be surprised if modifying it to pull wood occurred around then too.

My personal feeling is, there is really no way to tell. Benjamin Holt gets credit for inventing the first "Bulldozer", but RG LeTourneau takes credit for it as well in his book, but the Lombado boys in Waterville Maine had a steam powered Lombard Log Hauler in the woods in 1901. All used tracks and none had bulldozer blades. Benjamin Holt (who started Caterpillar company) traveled to Maine and saw a working version of the Lombard Log Hauler and its track system. The point I am getting at here is that it all depends on what you want to define as "the first machine."

For what it is worth Enchanted Forester...I had no idea forwarders were that old either. As a lover of old woodworking tools, old tractors and logging equipment, I am glad you take care of your machine. Please post a picture of it sometime.

Frickman

How much does one of those Iron Mules weigh?
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Corley5

Quote from: Frickman on November 12, 2007, 07:59:33 PM
How much does one of those Iron Mules weigh?
I've been told that a 5000 weighs around 16,000.  I'm glad we didn't get scaled when we hauled it home.  I was sure glad to see the weigh station at Da Bridge was closed  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Frickman

If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

twobears

how do the older two wheel drive iron mules get around the woods as far as mud,deep snow,ect???
i,de like to see pic,s of those older machines.i like that kinda stuff.

delbert

Ron Scott

See the Timber Harvesting Method & Equipment Thread for some Iron mule photos, also my photo alblum.

They get along quite well here. I have a job going on now a little farther north with only an Iron Mule forwarding.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!