iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Size Truck to Pull LT40 Super?

Started by luke, October 19, 2003, 10:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke

I was wondering what size truck, does one need to pull a LT 40 super hydraulic? I have a Nissan 4x4, ext. cab pickup, don't know if it is big enough.
Checking into grade sawing, building a dry kiln and moulding machines.

Oregon_Sawyer

I would consider that a little light.  You should have at least a 3/4 ton pickup.  A one ton is even better.

I pulled my LT40 with a 3/4 ton van but would not use less than a one ton on my LT70
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

shopteacher

If you check your manual you will usually find the towing capacity for your vehicle. I bought my Lt 40 below Birmingham, Al. and pulled it home (Pittsburgh, Pa) without problem with my F150,  2 wheel drive.  After looking in the manual found that I was probably overtaxing the transmission. If I was planing to move it from job to job a lot, I'd probably go with a larger truck.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Bibbyman

We had a manual LT40 that we pulled with a Dakota 4x4 extended cab with 318.  It did all right but the mill didn't have breaks so you had to watch when stopping or it'd push you.   The hydraulic model is at least 1000 lbs more.   You'd definitely want a break connection.  

We had our Dodge 3500 with V10 Auto when we got or 96 LT40 Super so we didn't have any problems.  It did shift down a few times but the breaks on the Super worked.  Same when we brought our new Super home.  Still had to watch the stopping distance.

Wood-Mizer should be able to advise you on the minimum hitch rating and your truck should have a tow limit somewhere posted and in the manual. (I hear Wood-Mizer won't let you hitch on to a new mill unless you have the proper rated hitch,  lights/break connection, etc.)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Percy

QuoteWood-Mizer should be able to advise you on the minimum hitch rating and your truck should have a tow limit somewhere posted and in the manual. (I hear Wood-Mizer won't let you hitch on to a new mill unless you have the proper rated hitch,  lights/break connection, etc.)

Thats right Bibby.
When I picked up my new 70, I had to demonstrate the effectivness of the brakes and  a hitch inspection before they let me off the lot. I was pulling it with a F250 deisel and allthough Ive pulled it around town with ol POST(GMC1500 4X4), a one ton would sure be nice.

Here in B.C, you have to make sure that your towing vehicle not only is capable, it must also be registered for pulling/packing the extra weight. For instance the GCW(gross carried weight) on old POST is 5499 Kgs and you have to pay mucho extra coin for the bigger numbers.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

D._Frederick

When you are trailering something that weighs as much as your towing vehicle, you should have duals. The tire side walls on most pick-up tires will flex when towing causing steering problems. Duals will help this problem and the 3/4 ton pick-up they come on should be enough to tow the WM.

Kevin_H.

I bought my LT 40 hd g24 in 97' and have pulled it with a 1/2 chevy 2wd ever since, never had any problems, the only thing I changed was to go to the heavest 15" tire I could find, but that was only because I needed new ones anyway.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Tom

I tore up a Toyota 1/2 ton pulling a LT40.  Least, that's to what I attribute it.  American made trucks are heavier and I think a 1/2 ton might pull it but a 3/4 ton would be better.  Pulling something is a minor part of the job.  You have to be able to stop what you got moving.

I found that 4 wd  helped to set-up in wet fields and was helpful getting out from under the pile of sawdust after a job too.

Thank You Sponsors!