iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OH NO! Bad idle wheel bearing.

Started by derhntr, June 01, 2017, 01:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derhntr

I noticed on last 2 blade changes that back of band was getting scratched from something and wrote it off as dirt from dirty logs and saw dust build up at the idle side blade guide where the lube mizer sprays the blade. Further investigation revealed a chunk in the idle wheel.
I ordered new bearing today. I am not seeing any instructions on replacing the bearing in the manual.

Mill is a 2006 LT40 HD with remote command control. I have fair mechanical skills and feel confident I can replace the bearing. Any tips from those who have had to replace theirs?

Mill has 420 hours on it.   
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

No slide hammer necessary.  I have replaced blade guide bearing on my tailgate with hand tools:  Tailgate Repairs
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

derhntr

I wish it was just the blade guide bearing I have them in stock. This is the bearing in the idle side band wheel that is bad.

Magicman

OK, I sorta drew the wrong conclusion from your OP.  Replacing that bearing is not bad and if I remember correctly, there are some instructions with the new bearing.  If not, give WM a call because there is a sequence to removing the wheel. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

paul case

I did it with snap ring pliers, hammer, and punch.

Took all of 30 minutes.

I think it is pretty straight forward.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

barbender

I think they upgraded those bearings at some point, I was surprised at how small the ones on my '97 are. I also remember it wasn't a bad job changing them, but I don't recall the specefics because it's been awhile ago.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

It ain't small now.  I carried mine to a shop and used a press, but it was not needed.  It slipped in quite easily.

MartyParsons

Hello,
  Sometimes you will need a puller to remove the wheel. Note the 3/8 bolt in the center, you may damage the threads in the axle if you are not careful. The bolt will prevent this.
The picture below is a LT70 so it will not be exactly the same.
Make sure you take a picture before you remove the wheel. I have seen customers install the wheel with the snap ring out it should be away from you on your model.
I like to press the bearing out and back in. If the bearing falls out of the bore then it may have been pressed at an angle or the bearing may have spun in its bore.
I have driven the bearing out of the wheel bore in the field. If you miss the bearing and hit the wheel  :o the wheel will break!!

Hope this helps.

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Kbeitz

A slide hammer a bearing fork attachment works great for this...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

derhntr

WOW talk about fast service parts are here 8) I ordered yesterday around noon and parts box was here when I just got home. Thank for all the tips guys and Thank you to Wood Mizer for the fast turn around.

derhntr

Can it get much worse. Yes it can before getting in to pulling the idle wheel I thought I would replace my guide rollers, replace the lube nozzles, put new belts on band wheel (drive side) well put idle side guide roller and new wear guide, along with new nozzles. Went to drive side put ratchet on the roller nut gave it a half turn and snapped the roller bolt  :o (Note to self don't eat cheerios before working on mill). Sad part is shipping cost more than the bolt an nut. 

paul case

Eat oreos before working on the mill.

Life is much better after oreos. Just ask Deese.

PC

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

derhntr

What a chore to remove the blade guide from the snapped off bolt. Hammer, 2 chisels, lots oil, some sweat. need heat and oil, cheater bar to disassemble the rest. 2 hour job for a $7 dollar bolt that you just can't go to the hardware and purchase. And still have the idle wheel bearing to replace yet.

derhntr

derhntr

Least this side is ready to go

Thank You Sponsors!