iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CUT THE CRAP: Pine!

Started by doc henderson, July 01, 2020, 03:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

Sometimes you get a blade that just does a good job on pine.  I had a blade on day before yesterday that I had run about 3 hours.  It's was still cutting good, but yesterday morning I had a very large very knotty log to saw so I decided to take it off and put on a fresh sharpened & thicker (.050) blade.  I think the other was .045 or so....both super sharps.  The thick blade just wouldn't cut straight.  I gave it 3 passes trying to get a smooth pass....it was very knotty.  I didn't want to go to the house and get another blade, so I just put the one I had used the day before back on. Cut perfect.  I used it the rest of the day cut a little over 1000 bf with it.  Took it off brought it in and checked it under the light and the corners were still crisp and sharp, but there was a little shine on the tooth and the set was down to 15 thousandth....so it will need setting before I sharpen it.  If it never cuts another lick it has been a good one.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

doc henderson

a lot of the pine I had trouble with was fresh cut, and with all the little nubby limbs on still.  we do not have big forested areas in Ks. (lots of branches). from a plane you can see all  the creeks and waterways lined with trees.  I have cut some lately, that had been drying as cants, or laying around.  along with all the other tuning I did, they cut much better.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!