iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CUT THE CRAP: Pine!

Started by doc henderson, July 01, 2020, 03:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

plan to do the more stable mod in the future.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

RichTired

Doc, no ear or eye protection for your helper? The National Wood Stackers Stickers Woodpecker Union will be coming after you... :D
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

doc henderson

good point.  she ran the mill for all of 30 seconds so her dad could get a pic. :) you are right, however.  thanks!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

RichTired

Doc, I know you are a safety conscious person and was thinking it was just a "Photo Op".
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

doc henderson

:) :) :) .  still a good thought, she wears glasses but had been on the trampoline, and brought her ol dad a drink!

Walnut Beast

Nice pictures Doc. Didn't Matt talk you into a new 2020 yet 😂

doc henderson

no but I am looking at a sharpener!  it would be nice.  

Bruno of NH

Ok like I have said before
Get a band like this and it cuts bull pine nice and flat.
Notched tooth 1.5 x .050

old log to,been in the yard a year. The knots are hard

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

doc henderson

Bruno, is that a WM or Kasco blade.  can you resharpen them?

Bruno of NH

It's a munkforks or something 
Link that.
Yes , I send them back to the place I buy them and they sharpen them.
My problem is they cut so well I leave them on to long and lower the life out of them.
They only cost $16.95 for 171" long
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

doc henderson

I want to try a wider thicker blade sometime.  I spoke with the Kasco rep and the individual that does custom sharpening at Jake's last year.  I also have gone through my mill looking for wear ect.  I replaced my guide rollers and v belt tires on the band wheels.  things are going much better.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: doc henderson on July 16, 2020, 12:08:22 PMI replaced my guide rollers

WOW!  I think those rollers should have been replaced a LOOOOONG time ago!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Larry

I don't think that's normal wear unless it has 20,000 hours or so.

My roller.  It has 800 hours and .035 of wear.  It is tapered from rear to front which I think is a normal wear pattern.  Not effecting cut quality yet.  I adjust my band to be parallel with the bed.  Notice the sharp edge on the front.  No rounding any place on the roller.  I should change the roller out just to keep up with maintenance.

Take a file to your roller.  If the file cuts the roller it was not hardened and that's the reason for the unusual wear.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ladylake

Those rollers were parts of the problem also.  Are they inline with the blade if not that will cause fast wear like that.  How many hours on them.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

customsawyer

I've worn many sets of rollers out over the years but have never worn any like that. You have to have something else going on for them to wear like that. Maybe to narrow for the blade you are using and out of alignment.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Stephen1

I  always like to think it is a blade problem, dull being the 1st , but those rollers really do show they were part of the problem, the belt probably showed the same issues when compared to the new belt. Pine and other soft, hard knots wood really do show up problems. 
It looks like you are solving the issues and soon you will be sawing like a pro again
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

doc henderson

the lower one in the photo had a rounded edge and I think it was from a blade that got in a bind.  the other had no wear on it.  they look even worse with a little surface rust.  these are the original roller guides.  7 years old.  I went through everything to get everything aligned and adjusted.  I agree some wood is easy enough to saw so despite the damage to the one roller, it still cut ok.  with pine, all the stars needed to be aligned.  I have not cut any pine with all the new stuff on.  I have cut some maple and other stuff.  the wear on the drive side roller is very rough so I think it was damaged and not just worn.  I had noticed a while back, and since it cut fine on almost all the species I cut, I did not get in a hurry to change it.  till the pine!  thanks all.  I may have the old one turned for a back up.

Magicman

You may have too much horizontal tilt on that particular blade guide.  I can't think of any way a blade in a "bind" could cause that kind of wear.  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom the Sawyer

FYI, TK came out with a newer style roller, actually the axle for the guide rollers, about 3 years ago.  It now has a zerk at the end of the axle.  I also put a spot of black paint on the back side of the flange.  If you don't see a blur when the blade is running, the roller is not spinning with the blade. 
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

ladylake

Quote from: Magicman on July 17, 2020, 02:10:29 PM
You may have too much horizontal tilt on that particular blade guide.  I can't think of any way a blade in a "bind" could cause that kind of wear.  ???
I agree, the guide roller is not parallel with the blade for it to wear like that.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

doc henderson

so I think it was with a catastrophic dive, and broken blade.  however, it cut fine like that on everything but locust and pine.  It is so rough that I think it was damaged in a matter of seconds, and not progressive over time.  I had seen it 6 months ago, but really every thing was milling straight.  I think it may go back to the moment a piece caught and bent my roller guide bracket.  it looks like maybe the back of the blade went over the flange and the teeth were then angled up and onto the front edge.  It was not ongoing and or progressive, but appeared and remained the same, and cut fine.  this is why I did not worry too much until the pine.  Some fine detective work.  It was time for fixing/tuning/upgrading all the damaged and worn components.  Should be  as good as new.  I will take a file to see if it is hardened.  My cousin mike is a machinist.  thanks doc.

doc henderson

I am told these can be machined, but if hardened may have to be "ground".  here is a close up of the roller.  the idle side is fine.  the rust is only there when not in use, and most of the time they were shiny.  the drive side is the one that has the wear/damage.  It is rough more like something all the sudden and not a gradual misalignment, IMO.  

ladylake

Doc
  Way better pics this time, your theory sound good.  Steve

doc henderson

Yes, we will see how she cuts on pine, and see if there is any wear on the new rollers.  I have done a complete realignment so here is hoping.  the drive side roller spindle did have to be moved back, so maybe not enough set back?  hope it is all good now.  thanks everyone!

ladylake

Your going to think you have a new mill after all of this.  Steve

Thank You Sponsors!