iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gearmatic 19 Winch?

Started by John C., August 13, 2011, 05:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John C.

Hi, looked at a skidder today with a gearmatic 19 winch. It was able to winch a log to skidder but not hold. The owner stated that it might need new bands, does this sound right? Any idea on how much? Is it hard to replace bands?

logman81

Hi John C. I also live in Rhode Island if you don't mind me asking where was the skidder located? Can't help much with the winch but I'm sure someone can help you on here.
Precision Firewood & Logging

treefarmer87

I have that winch on my treefarmer. i just replaced the bands on it a few months ago, its not hard, the hardest part is the adjustment. has the skidder sat for a while? i replaced 3 of the four bands, it was somewhere close to $700.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

madmari

Probably needs the brake bands adjusted. Easy deal- remove the cover on the right side and you'll see the bands. There is a website showing the winch and troubleshooting. It's a great site and I believe if you search "Geramatic 19" you will find it.

Good luck.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

John Woodworth

You say it drums in so you know the clutghes are working and it means your brake band is the problem, pull the side cover and verify the lining, if there is still lining left the only adjustment you can make is to take the cover that holds the brake spring off,check the spring to see that its not broken and if not turn the cover over and put the flat side up,normaly the spring fits into the recessed side. Use a couple pieces of redi rod with nuts on them is the easiest way to get the cover back on but once on replace with orignal bolts. It's been some time since I've replaced bands and here on the West Coast I'm sure prices must be about the same but as I remember it was in the $350 range with good cores.

If you install new brake bands some times they will slip until they are broke in so hang your drumline on a stump and pull against it slippping it with yuor winch control two to three times and let it cool down and you should be fine.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

John C.

Thanks for the help to all who replied, skidder needs other work not sure I wanna get into that much. Transportation is an issue, going to look for a skidder closer to home that needs less work.

logman81

Hey John C. good luck with the purchase if you go through with it, if you need any help with it let me know. I like the old iron and would like to learn about the machine.
Precision Firewood & Logging

John C.

thanks logman81 still looking into transportation.

Thank You Sponsors!