iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing with a lt28

Started by peterob, March 28, 2014, 06:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterob

can any one tell me what a one man operation can saw in an 8 hour day without killing themselves, i have a lt28 with 25hp motor an all extras,  i would like to do at least 1000ft a day thanks

Chuck White

You should be able to do the 1,000 in a day, but you will be busy if you're working alone!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

One way to look at it is 1000 B.F. would be 125 8'x12"x1" boards

Load,Saw, off-bear sticker and stack,  you will be busy.

DGDrls

Qweaver

I can usually load and saw an average size log (i.e. 18 to 20") in 45 minutes with a helper on my LT28.  At least double that time working by myself.  If you are stickering and stacking add another 10 to 15 minutes. Changing blades,  filling water and fuel tanks, hauling scrap wood to the slab stack all add time to the process...especially if you don't have a helper.  How much time will you lose to a metal strike?  This is why I charge by the hour not by BdFt and try to avoid sawing without a helper.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

WoodenHead

The best I was able to consistently do by myself on an LT28 was 700bdft per day.  This included sticker stacking, sawdust removal and slab cleanup.  But that would be at best.  Crooked logs, small diameter or short logs (8-10') can really decrease production.

woodNthings

Well, I will share my results. My LT28 is only 18HP, however I have outfitted it with hydraulic backstops, log turner/clamp, and log loader. I also have a forklift.
A couple weeks ago in about an 8 hour day, by myself, I sawed about 800 bdft of SYP. Doesn't seem like much I know but all of it was 1"X6"X8' and I was bucking the logs to length... loading them... throwing slabs... and stacking boards(without stickers). smiley_dizzy
While these logs were easy sawing compared to hardwoods, keep in mind that it was all 4/4. But it I didnt hit any metal that day ;D and it all went pretty darn smooth!
'10 WM LT33 Hyd.
'80s Case rough terrain forklift
'54 Farmall Super A
'01 Duramax

caveman

Depending on the quality of logs and your enthusiasm, you may be able to routinely get 1000bf or more in a day.  If you can get someone to offload boards, sticker stack, and help turn and clamp your production will go up considerably.  A good log deck will help you to keep the blade in the wood too. 

With JMoore offloading and stacking, his FIL using my tractor to load logs and slabbing heavy, we were able to cut these two trailer loads in 1 1/2 days on our LT-28. Mainly, all I did was saw and change blades (9 of them).

Caveman

drobertson

Just ball parking here, but I would say 800 to 1000 is reachable, keep your steps to a minimum.  A 1000 bdft pile of dust can wait til your done for the day. Keep the slab pile as close as possible,  a five step triangle is not a bad distance. three is better.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

flyboy16101

With smaller logs you probably won't hit 1,000 in a day. Medium sized logs is when I get the most production with a FEL or skid loader to load with. If you are using the winch and ramps you will be working really hard to reach your goal. The key like others have said is your set up. What has worked best for me is slabs just on the edge of saw dust pile and lumber pile at the hitch with just enough room to walk between the mill and the pile and the truck at the tail end of the mill with water, gas, blades, tools, etc... just minimize walking time. Another key for higher production on the Lt 28 is to use a cant hook to turn small and medium sized logs it seams to be quicker than the claw turner. But I do use the claw for larger logs just easier on the back and less chance of putting myself in the wrong place and getting crushed.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

Thank You Sponsors!