iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dry Kiln know-how literature

Started by BillyB, December 31, 2016, 07:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyB

Can anyone recommend a good book that explains the different types of dry kilns and how they work. I'm looking for something that will break down the science behind it.
LT-15, Stihl MS880, MSC362, 72" Grandberg, Kubota M8546

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Are you looking for information about dehumidification, steam, solar, etc.?  Try DRYING HARDWOOD LUMBER, which is available at many sites for downloading.  Note that vacuum is not covered well in this text. 

Except for vacuum, all the kilns use hot air of a certain humidity and with a certain air flow speed.  So, most kilns provide the same drying results (quality and speed)...the kilns reflect hardware differences and not basic drying differences, except operating costs.  It is like driving a car from NY to NV...different brands and style, but all get you to the final point at about the same time...it is the operator that controls safety, quality, time, etc. and not the equipment.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

BillyB

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on December 31, 2016, 07:40:15 AM
Are you looking for information about dehumidification, steam, solar, etc.?  Try DRYING HARDWOOD LUMBER, which is available at many sites for downloading.  Note that vacuum is not covered well in this text. 

Shame on me! I have that publication, but have not printed off and read the entire thing. Thanks WoodDoc!
LT-15, Stihl MS880, MSC362, 72" Grandberg, Kubota M8546

Thank You Sponsors!