iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wanted: Parking spot Northern Lower MI 8/25-28

Started by johncinquo, August 23, 2005, 11:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncinquo

I am riding my motorcycle around Lake Superior and will be trailering up to the Northern lower.  I would like to find a nice safe place to park my truck and a small cycle trailer for a couple days somewhere between Indian River and the bridge.    Off to the west is good in that area as well, as I plan on checking out 119 to get a good start on the trip.    Nothing fancy needed, just a place to park it that an eye can see in case of trouble.  Otherwise I was thinking of a park and ride or a hotel parking lot.  With so many nice folks around here, figured I would ask.  I should be back to pick it up on Sunday. 

Headed up over da bridge, west to Iron River, then west and north clockwise along the shoreline, back down throgh the sioux, and back into MI.   Meeting 4 other riders along the way.   About 1300 miles.  Looped the UP last year.

John
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Weekend_Sawyer

Hey, sounds like a fun trip. Let us know how it goes

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Murf

I'm a ways east of where you're goin', but there's always room for a Brother & Noble ta' park sumtin', and a meal and little something ta' wash the dust outta ya' ......

Same goes fer any other travellers ............ there's always room 'round the fire fer another stool.  ;)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

johncinquo

Thanks for all the offers from folks!  I think I found a good spot.  Corley is in Wolverine, just south of where I was looking.  He also lives on a road that heads off to the west that looks like a big dead snake, my favorite!  That'll start the trip on a great note, and make heading across the UP on 2 bearable.  First night in Iron Mountain.  Then NW to Thunder Bay.  Next day to St Saint MArie ON, then back down home on Sunday.  About 1580 miles.  Planning many stops along the way either for gas or just to shake the road wiggles off. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

CHARLIE

Why not stop for a short visit with Chet on the way.  He lives in Iron River.  Has a nice house close to a lake and some neat outbuildings he built...plus a neat solor kiln. He's got a nice place.  He even planted a garden one time just for the deer. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

johncinquo

Thanks for the parking spot.   That worked out just fine as by then we were getting whipped and on 75 people drive like complete idiots.  The roads off to the west were the best we had all trip!  I might have to do a day trip and go up and down 119 about 6 times. 

Yep we had a great time.  Lots and lots of miles.   Not enough time to stop and visit anyone.  I would like to do it again, but maybe take a week or more and sight see.  Mainly we just rode, stopped for gas, food, and sleep.  Had to get a new rear tire in Duluth which was a real time killer.  Weather was pretty good over all.  Some rain in Minnesota and then from Duluth to Grand Marais we rode in fog so thick is was like night.  I woulda rather had the rain as at least that just falls off, the fog just kinda hung on you.  After a near miss with a couple deer we called it a night early.  Stayed over in Iron Mountain, Grand Marais, Wawa and then home.   No troubles with the Canadian police.  Only 1 small ticket in St Ignace, DOH! 
A guy in a pickup truck going the other way threw something at me up in CA and it hit me right in the side of the neck.  Got a hechuva bruise and shook me up a bit for awhile.   Full helmet, kevlar pants, jacket, gloves, and the guy hits me in the 2.5" of exposed skin I have on me!   Grrrrr.  No one knew what I was stopping for until we all caught back up together, which is probaly for the better as they most assuredly would have caught the guy and that would have led to an altercation.  I wasnt hurt much so I just chalk it up to another wingnut in life. 
People along the way were real nice.  I liked the area from Wawa south the best.  I might take a trip north from the Sioux and just go that far again.  It seemed everything was pretty expensive, even with the exchange rate figured in. 
Heres the pics.  Kinda boring unless you are in folks on cycles and a few views.
http://www.msnusers.com/BrooksiesWildTrip/zrxtriparoundlakesuperior.msnw
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Tom

I enjoyed the pictures.  Too bad you couldn't get the COP to get into a picture too. :D

SwampDonkey

John, there is the odd 'odd ball' up here against bikers. I talked with a former boss who lived in Northern BC and he could remember one trip to New Brunswick on his bike. He and the wife thought they'd pull off the main drag and settle in a hey field one evening (in tent) until this wild women came running at them with a broom and scolded at them in french for settling in her field. That was the only memorable part of his trip in New Brunswick. :D :D

My grandfather was always going on fishing trips and staying in hey fields, gravel pits and woodlot yards. Never stayed in a Hotel/Motel in his life. He wasn't gonna give no one $60+ for a bed. He used a couple old cots on the back of the pickup, under the topper. Sometimes just threw an old matress on the bed of the pickup. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

SD, your grandfather sounds like a smart fellow, personally can't see spending those $ for a couple hours use either. ;)

pigman

Quote from: Furby on August 30, 2005, 05:35:28 PM
, personally can't see spending those $ for a couple hours use either. ;)
That is the reason I try to sleep at least 10 hours in a hotel bed. Well, I usually don't sleep that much with all the noise, but I do try to lay there that long. Brings the price per hour down a bit. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Furby

That's my point, I like to travel later into the night, no point in getting a room at 11pm or even much later.

Thank You Sponsors!