iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replacing cradel bushings

Started by shawn55, May 20, 2013, 09:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawn55

On my 225 TJ my front cradle has got some slop in it when I put down pressure on the blade. How hard is it to put new bushings in and where do I start. I have never had to change any out before.

240b

Thats a fun little project. I unbolt the 8 bolts and remove the whole axle. crib up the machine with 6x6s and use the inch drive on it. Probably the rear hole in the walking beam is egged out so that will need a weld in bushing. And theres a pretty good chance it is cracked too. I have pics of the whole deal but need to scan them on to the computer. Might as while fix it right the first time. 

shawn55

Thats right fix it right the first Time. i might not get to it for a little while yet. Is all the work done from the bottom? Or does the motor have to come out. pics would be great. how long did it take you to fix it.

David-L

Shawn 55,
   Check in if you have questions.

David-L

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

logman81

My c5d needs new pins and bushings to, mine is also cracked in the rear part of the walking beam were the pin is.
Precision Firewood & Logging

shawn55

Nice pic. that dont look like fun.How long does it take to weld in new bushings. does the cradel have to come out.

240b

The bushing is a press in but if the walking beam is eggged you need to have a new steel bushing welded into that, than the press in pressed into that. 
Yes the whole thing needs to drop down. I have done it with the motor in and with it out. It easier with the motor/transmission out because you can reach down from the top with the impact.  And really made sure to make sure the thing is cribbed up really well. It will squash you like a bug if it falls on you.. 

barbender

David L, no offense, but there's no way I'd get under that machine the way you have it cribbed up :o
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: barbender on May 21, 2013, 01:57:22 PM
David L, no offense, but there's no way I'd get under that machine the way you have it cribbed up :o

I wouldn't even want to be in that shop near that thing the way it is cribbed.

6x6 blocking stacked at 90° to one another to make a log cabin sort of structure as you go up. Spend the extra time to crib it right because if the cribbing fails the machine will crush you like a bug.

240b

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on May 21, 2013, 02:09:58 PM
Quote from: barbender on May 21, 2013, 01:57:22 PM

I wouldn't even want to be in that shop near that thing the way it is cribbed.

6x6 blocking stacked at 90° to one another to make a log cabin sort of structure as you go up. Spend the extra time to crib it right because if the cribbing fails the machine will crush you like a bug.

Glad you guys said it. I did not want to ruffle anyones feathers with that one.  I do not like to get under the thing with a pick up truck load of cribbing holding the thing up..   Last year guy asked me to help replace the hoses on a Timbco in where it tilts. He had his whole upper body in there. I just made up an excuse to leave the shop.

David-L

I didn't climb under with it like that either. When we were messing with the cradle the front was also blocked under the hyd tank with 8x8's. What you are seeing is when we were about to bring the front axle in which was attached to the tires still. Lifted it in with my tractor forks so the blocking in the front had to be gone.
I found that two chainfalls attached to the risers worked well to inch the cradle up after it was also brought in by my tractor forks. When you weld in weldmounts you have to really chanmper the cradle where you blow holes so as to get penetration welding on the weldmounts. Any good welder can do this and line boring IMOP is a waste of money for this application. My machine cradle is as tight as new. Thanks for speaking up forum members.

David-l

shawn55

Did you make your own weld in bushings or buy them. also do they come factory with weld ins or not.

240b

There press in bushing is a sphereical self aligning type. if the hole for that is egged out you need to either cut out the whole front and back pieces of the walking beam weld in new pieces of plate with holes bored to the correct size for a press fit. Or get so thick wall bushing stock and have a couple dough nuts machined to the propper size to except the press ins torch out the egged hole weld in the doughnut. I would have a machine shop do the welding. They tend to crack above the back hole on the older TJ's you won't know it till you get it out of the machine. You are also going to need a selection of bronze spacers to shim it when its back together.(they are avaible thur aftermarket parts). Best thing to do is remove it and get it to a machine shop with a new pair of bushings, they will know what to do. Where are you located?

shawn55

David-L

Shawn55, I have a source for all the 200 series parts in VT. They will ship them to your door in MN. Very nice people. They have weldmounts and bushings in stock.
                                    David-l

Mark K

I replaced the craddle bushing's in my C7D earlier this spring. Wasn't much different than my 225 just alot bigger and heavier. The back of my craddle was cracked in half at the bushing. I talked to Davco's, they told me to cut the piece out and weld a new one in made from T1 steel. I had a machine shop do it. They cut each side of the hole about 3 inch's. Cut and bored a weldment to fit in there. New pins and bushings and I was running. Had $1200 into the machine shop and 550 in pins and bushings. I removed the craddle myself and put it back together so I saved money there. If it's cracked at the pin welding the crack won't last. Previous owner of mine welded it.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

shawn55

Davide L. does the company have a web site?

David-L

Shawn55,
If you contact me via pm I will give you his # in VT. They do not have a web site, they are old school and know these machines well. I don't think I am suppose to recommend a business on the forum so pm is the way to do this.
                                David

thecfarm

It's Ok to recommend a business,just don't promote your own. Or really push a business everytime you post.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!