iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small Job?

Started by Magicman, October 22, 2014, 09:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, probably the smallest job that I have ever traveled for.

One Cherry log from a yard tree.  No metal, but it did have a scar on the side that produced some nice figure on a few of the boards.

Why move the sawmill and saw this one log?  Because the customer had one log and wanted it sawed.  Just mark it up to goodwill and doing a deed for an 87 year old guy that wanted his log sawed. 

When I looked at it last week, I told him $75.  It took 1½ hours to travel, set up, saw, and move back home.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I'm sure he was very happy you made the trip over,  he most likely will be bragging about his cherry boards for awhile at the coffee shop!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

Yep, commendable and a good compromise.  It looked like being not far from home helped out.

I had a job last week, 1.5 hr out to back, to make one cut in a beam. Being very careful not to ruin it took half the time. 

I do usually have a minimum charge,  but less than a mile from home things get fuzzy.    This was for a business and because I know who their customer is, I know they wouldn't have cared what it cost.  But I made it 1.5 hr plus one blade hit metal.  Figure looking reasonable works better in the end.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Tree Dan

Only 1 log...but a very fine cherry log at that...Good man Magic!
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

yukon cornelius

way to go! a job is a job.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Chuck White

I've done a few jobs similar to that, and with only 1 log too. ;)

Many times, they're more rewarding than some of the big jobs!  :) 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

$50 an hour. Not so bad. Made someone happy. Good deal at any price.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Since the "other" sawyer in my area has a 1Mbf minimum charge, I decided early on that I would not have one.  That decision has paid huge dividends over the years.  My foremost objective is to make the customer happy.  Happy customers are repeat customers, plus they tell their neighbors.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

MM what do you do when a customer calls about a couple hours of sawing, 50-75 miles away?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

$1.50 per mile for one or two logs plus $75 per hour gets expensive.  I get many calls like that and after talking, they always decide to bring the logs to me.

I sawed three different 2-4 log jobs within the last couple of weeks and they were all brought to me.

These 4 Sassafras logs were brought to me.

And the lumber left on his trailer.

Yes, I operate a portable sawmilling service, but Marty only lives a half mile from me.  He has plenty of room and I normally park the sawmill at his place.  It offers a nice setup for those exceptional jobs.  (Fat Albert, Blue, and the arch live there.)   ;D

It's all about talking with the customer and deciding which option is the most economical for him.

Magicman

:)  Another call.  Looks like another customer will be bringing a couple to me.   ;D

drobertson

Once again, dandy sassafras!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

fat olde elf

And now you folks see why MM gets to saw for those pretty ladies !!!
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Bill Gaiche

Those are some really nice sassafras logs. bg

Thank You Sponsors!