iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Syrup

Started by cbla, January 12, 2015, 06:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbla

Anybody doing maple syrup in the East? I did some like 20 years ago and I now have some property with some big Sugar Maples. I cant remember last week let alone 20 years ago and was wondering when it should start which I know is weather dependent. end of February and can u wait to finish the last of the boil process? I have a camp at the property but no range hood. I will do the bulk of the boiling outside but to finish it off I am hoping to bring it back home. say the next day. can u do that?

Gearbox

Boil it down and can it or freeze it . then when you have enough do a finish batch . Just don't hold it without preserveing it . Don't hold the sap very long the bactiera starts to grow guickly { blue or purple color to sap ] and lowers quality . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

cbla

thanks gerarbox! I have a freezer at the camp, so boil it down  throw it in the freezer and finish it off at home?

Chuck White

We'll be getting ready to start thinking about tapping near the end of February.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

cbla

Chuck, how long is your season down there on average? 4-6 weeks?

Chuck White

Last year sugaring only lasted a month, but typically it will last 6-10 weeks!

Just depends on the weather!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mesquite buckeye

Mmmmmmmmm, Maple. digin_2 sketti_1 food6
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Chuck White

We got our evaporator set up today!

All we lack now is a little milder weather and lots of sap!

gspren

I've never made any maple syrup but just this morning I had some on pancakes with some venison sausage on the side, good way to start on a cold day.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

cbla

Is this going be a early year for you Chuck?

Chuck White

Right now, we're tentatively looking at the end of Feb, 1st week in Mar for tapping the trees.

Once they're tapped, it's usually an everyday, all day thing until it's over, unless we get a cold spell where sap don't run (like last year), then we have to keep a fire in the sugarhouse wood-stove to keep everything from freezing up.

sawyerf250

If you plan to be doing much finishing off inside the house on the stove be prepared to do some major cleaning of the ceiling! lol The last year that l did much with it l finished all of my syrup in the house as l had a little smaller and more of a back woods setup than l should have. It lead to a very expensive cleaning bill and many hours on ladder scrubbing the ceiling! l recommend using a propane burner and setting up outside, or even in the garage...
Massey Ferguson 375 w/838 loader, Wallenstien Fx 90 winch, 3 Husqvarna chainsaws

cbla

I think I have made up my mind to finish off outside.

thecfarm

The wife finished ours off inside. But we only did it small scale. The most we had was a quart at one time. Most times we only had a pint. We would bring it up to 212°outside,which is close,and than bring it inside for the finish part. Most times 15-20 minutes it was done. I posted pictures of my set up ouside. It was mighty rough,but worked.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GAB

I've used the turkey cooker with a 5 gallon stainless steel stock pot in the garage to get some close to finished and then finished it off on the kitchen stove. 
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

cbla

that's a nice set up the cfarm

OH Boy

we'll be tapping mid feb this year, which is usual for us. Had a few days that sap could have run but we're not tapped yet. really cold spell now so forecast is right for Valentines day.

Chuck White

We're anticipating tapping the week of 2-6 of March.

We have around 1,200 taps, all on pipe-line!

clww

Almost no tapping in Highland County yet this season. It's been way too cold. The previous three years were the complete opposite.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

cbla

next week they are calling for temps of 32f-35f in the day and 23f in the night.

cbla

ok, I read that wrong that is the weather for the March 8-14 week

Chuck White

We will likely start tapping the Maples here within the next 10 days!  :)

Brokermike

600 taps for us this year
Don't Jersey Vermont

Chuck White

We'll have 1,170 or so taps this year, all on pipeline!

Done some talking today and we may tap during the week of 2-6 March.

Raider

Last year I put out taps March 9th, trees still had frost in them. This morn. -27 , might be a while yet!

Thank You Sponsors!