iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A bad new blade??

Started by JSwigga, March 15, 2014, 09:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSwigga

I was running my TK2200 today with the Ultra Max blades they gave me with the mill.  I cut some small hickory smiley_devil and reclaimed heart pine beams with pretty much no trouble.  I had a little trouble with blade build up with the pine beams but I just added some diesel (that just floated on the top) and detergent to my water and it cut great.  Last log of the day was a large hard maple.  It wasn't that long but it pretty much maxed the mill out on cut throat.  I put a new blade on and started milling.  After squaring the log up a little to get it to fit, I starting making a wide cut.  About 2 feet in the blade started screaming! My water was on and I was milling as slow as I could go but still it didn't want to cut straight.  It waved up and down like crazy!   I put another blade on after that and it cut fine.  Should I just chalk it up as a bad new blade or should I try another blade for larger, more dense species? I don't know how the TK blades are set. All I know is 1.5" wide and 7/8 pitch ???
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

Board Cutter

I had something similiar happen with one of my new blades.  Only, happened once, I chalked it up to a blade with issues slipping through quality control.
As a side note, I marked the blade and after sharpening and setting, it worked fine.
TimberKing 2000, John Deere 970, Hitachi Excavator,

isawlogs

First thing one should do when he beleives he has a new blade issue is talk with your blade supplier about it, they will in most cases do it good.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ladylake

Those wide cuts in hard maple take a real sharp blade, when they start screaming either they're dull or gummed up. If a older dried out log it can dull a blade fast.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

I would chalk it up to a dull band or one that has hit something. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

The above post is what came to mind for me, if you got it some what squared up,  then is started acting up, is sounds like you may have hit something.  Brand new blades that are bad from the box, are bad from the box, in my experiences. I've only seen this twice,,  the set was way off, leaving  rougher finish than a chain saw, and the mill would shake,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

Last log of the day, same blade all day, I'm not at all surprised if it isn't sharp anymore.   Takes a sharp blade and everything else being right to cut wide wood flat. I wouldn't have even tried that.  Myself I'd probably be roughing in cuts on a large hard maple with the used blade,  and then putting on a fresh blade after bark and grit is gone,  to start making good boards.  I wouldn't expect a new blade to perform badly but not too surprised if it didn't cut as well as one I sharpened myself. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

isawlogs

After re-reading the original post, I can see where his blade may be dull. After opening a log and only after he was into the same log on a wide cut, all you need to do is change the blade and sharpen it.  ;)  Blades get dull, no need to worry, it happens to the best of us.  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

JSwigga

I changed to a new blade being it was a hard maple and very large.  I wouldn't dare try to cut a wide hard maple board with a used blade.  I did however run it through some bark when I was knocking the log down to size.  I guess I didn't think it would of dulled it so fast. 
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

isawlogs

Bark will hold all kinds of material that will dull a blade in seconds, just like a grinder at times, Hard maple is bad because the wood is so hard , in soft wood it is less evedent because the wood is easier to saw.  ;)

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!