iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Documents

Started by Riggs, April 22, 2013, 12:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggs

My Uncle (and neighbor) passed away in March, his wife recently asked if I had any interest in some furniture that had been in their basement for many many years. I hated to see it thrown out without at least giving it a chance, so I lugged it all out of their basement yesterday and started going through it. A dresser, two trunks, and a desk, all absolutely stuffed with old letters, receipts, deeds, hand drawn maps, tax forms, banking papers, you name it. The earliest that I have found so far is a letter to what would be my great grandfather's grandfather that is dated April, 1864. As I mentioned, these have been stored in the basement for decades, and some were almost damp, and moldy. Lots of them were folded as small as they could possibly be folded.... Any advice, and or tips for preserving what I have? It would be trash to most people, but it's my family's history.

Thanks.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Weekend_Sawyer

If you search the Smithsonian's website for preserving old papers, they will have some good advise.

Good luck, it's nice to have family treasures.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

drobertson

wish I could be more specific, but there is  spray that will kill mold and mildew on old papers, not sure of the name, but works from what I have heard,seperate, layed out on a table with a dehumidifyer will be a good start. use care, and week end sawyer has some good advice too.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Might also pay to call a Library or a Historical Society and inquire too.
Or the internet  ;)

http://www.familyarchives.com/pages/documents-how-to-preserve-your-documents.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!