iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric trailer brakes

Started by Jason_WI, September 25, 2004, 08:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

There is a kind of grease stuff that you can pack in connectors . Even just spraying regular with wd-40 or anything else like that slows corrosion.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

And it gums up the connectors, with all the dust it collects, so they can't make contact. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bighoss550

all my connections get greased at the same time as the hitchball and load arms.

and once a year ALL parts involved in braking get replaced. incliding drums and even wires to the junction box for the brakes. and my brakes are run by their own circuit and box with 8ga wire. git-er-dun 8)

SwampDonkey

I don't use mine often enough to go through all that. I just jig around on the property. And real short hauls once in a  grey moon.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

As to keeping the connections from corroding, the pro's use a shrink tube that self lubes and seals as you heat it. It's awsome. But not all of the shrinktube is created equal, so get small samples from various suppliers and test them. then go hog wild to have what you need on hand when you need it. The stuff is top notch and the connection never corrodes. You also then only need the uninsulated type of crimp connecter. For exceptionally rough environs, say behind the rears of my one ton, you can double up and overlap the shrink tube. With the good stuff you can see the sealer oozing out as it shrinks.
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

There's shrink tube on all my wiring. I'm just plagued with the copper in the quick connect coroding from the road salt. It gets in the connector when the trailor's not hooked up to the truck. I pack some kiwi goo where the wires go into the back of the quick connect, but the flip up cover doesn't have a good seal I guess. Now, its broke off. So, I need to get a new one. I'm going to try an aluminum one next time. Right now its not priority since I don't use it in late fall or winter. I mostly haul tree seedlings and firewood in late years.

Murf

I was taught a nifty trick for keeping the trailer plug free of corosion in the winter.

Spray the insides of the plug really good with WD-40 or something like that, then give it a little spurt of spray-foam insulation. When it stops expanding, but before it sets up, slice off the excess and stick a piece of twine or wire into the foam.

When it cures you have a plug the exact size and shape of the cavity. Then you can fill each little pocket of the foam with dielectric grease and leave it in there when you don't ahve a trailer on the truck.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

SwampDonkey

I will be sure to remember that Murf, Thanks. I may put a SwampDonkey twist to the concept, but looks like a good idea. ;)

Murf

The rules clearly state, any improvements, variations or twists to a wacky idea that actually works MUST be shared.

Void where prohibited by common sense, law, or wives. Some beer during assembly required. No purchase required unless you don't already have the junk around to do it.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

SwampDonkey

So, I bet you think your on a roll eh? ;)

:D :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!