iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Way to Cut Roots -- Need Ideas

Started by Left Coast Chris, January 24, 2009, 02:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timber tramp

Cause every good story needs a villan!

Brucer

D7 Cat, blade raised about 3' off the ground. Just don't keep pushing until it goes over -- the root ball can leave you hanging in the air :(. Back off when it's got a good lean to it, drop the blade, and push on the roots that have broken clear of the ground.

Works like a charm ;D ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

STUMPKICKER

cheyenne

How about the riden mower with Nitrous....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Handy Andy

I took out a walnut for the same reason, wanted to saw the stump with the log, and also wanted the stump out,  turned out to be quite a job. Took my skid steer and dug along the back side of the tree, cut all the roots off with my axe, and dug under and cut off the tap root.  The tap root wasn't very big around. Then I climbed up into the tree and tied a cable around it and used the tractor to pull it over. Had to yank on it quite a while before it went over, then when I let off, it stood back up! Finally got it to stay laying down, and just took my grub hoe to dig the dirt off the stump.   I sure didn't do 2 in one day.  But maybe you're tougher than me.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Ironwood

My experience is to dig ALL the way around the stump w/ a mini excavator (8000-10000lb) and then get it rocking, the trunk and weight above acts as a very good lever to snap off the remaining roots. The challenge is to get the HEAVY root ball out of the woods and to the field where my forklift can get to it. I usually use the blade on the excavator to "semi-carry" it out. I tried paying guys to carefully dig out stumps for me, it was never a "winner" I just rent a machine now.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

LeeB

Drag one of them chairs out so we can see it too.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ironwood

Here is one of the head chairs. Gumosis cherry, comfy too.

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Left Coast Chris

Very nice table Ironwood, 

How did you get the stumps to dry with no appearent radial cracks?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Ironwood

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Left Coast Chris

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Ironwood

Don't laugh, I have seen thousands of dollars spent for fiberglass tree stump wannabees. Looked WAY "Flintstones" tacky, but they got the look they wanted ::) Silly, but no , just dig a buunch and select the best.

Ironwood

rebocardo

I have found a sawzall with wood pruning blades to be the best compromise. Hard to believe, but, Sears sells the best most aggressive blades. Nice thing is they are easy to sharpen, I usually just toss them though since you can get a lot of mileage by avoiding dirt.

If you use a double bit axe, besides having two cutting edges for when one is dull, it is easier to cut a V in the big roots and finish the little hinge near the dirt with the sawzall.

Get an inverter and make sure you use the grounding rod, reason being is the battery powered saws usually only have a 7/8" stroke and a good corded saw has about a 1.5" stroke. Makes a big difference in speed and when using just the very tip of a blade to cut something or through six inches of wood.

Left Coast Chris

How long is your aggresive Sears blade?  I would'nt get too far with a 6" blade and an 8" blade would not get all of them.  A 12" blade would do the trick if there is such a thing.    What inverter do you use?   Good tip on the grounding.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!