iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Compressed air

Started by bandmiller2, October 13, 2009, 07:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

How many of you guys have/use compressed air around the mill??Had some real dirty logs, dried caked mud,wire brush and air gun did a reasonable job cleaning.Have a long tube on the air gun gets into crackes and grooves.Also handy to clean up sawdust.Oh be sure to ware safety glasses. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Tripp

I ran a air hose overhead to the sawyers box. It has become one of the most used tools while sawing. We use it to clean logs and clean up the mill during and after sawing. I would highly recommend it.

Tripp

TwinCut

I use a gas leaf blower around the mill. It won't take off dried on mud but it sure helps in the clean up.

solidwoods

Also a good way to clean chain links and most motion gizmoes then lube.
I use it to De-dust the car out also.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Chuck White

Quote from: TwinCut on October 13, 2009, 09:13:30 AM
I use a gas leaf blower around the mill. It won't take off dried on mud but it sure helps in the clean up.

I also use one, it really makes clean-up at the end of the day a lot faster!
Before that, I used a wisk broom!
What a difference!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ely

yes we have air in the saw sharpening shed and piped it out to both mill sheds, always use it.

i try and blow all the wet sawdust off the mill each time i shut down in the eve.

backwoods sawyer

Compressed air in the big mills is used a lot, to the tune of three 300hp compressors. (two on line and one off line) You could always tell when one had tripped a breaker, because the lug loaders would get real sluggish, or just not come up. Which equals a pile up that has to be dug out. A 1" or ¾" air hose with a quarter turn ball valve necked down to a ½ x 3' piece of aluminum pipe would real good for clean up. You could always tell if the new guy had ever herded sheep or not. Always wear your PPE when using an air hose, because it is very easy to catch a face full of dirt, muck, oil, sawdust, ect. Once you have a place for the sheep herd to go the air will take it there.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

sgschwend

Just be careful when stirring up those fine dust particles.  Like the grain silos, it could make quite a flash or even a boom. ;)
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

customdave

I use a gas leafblower to , works slick to blow the mill off after use!! Tryed for dusting in the house little bit much , it will take a heavy dinner plate right off the kitchen table oops , cat didn't care for jt either case your wondering!! ;D

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don_Papenburg

Cats hate pressurised air  ;D
  wear the ear plugs/muffs also.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Tom

Wives hate it too.  Sometimes they will send you outside.  :-\

customsawyer

Don't forget that something like 75% of all sawmill fires start at the air compressor. :o
I use it my self but make sure that I turn power off each night. :P
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

fishpharmer

Good tips, thanks.

Especially about the fire and marital hazards.  Not necessarily in that order ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

backwoods sawyer

The only time we had an issue with fire and compressed air was when the operator tried to blow out a small fire that was started by a welder. Poof........ Instant big fire!!!!
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bandmiller2

Its good form to have the comp. in a different building away from the sawdust, and you don't have to listen to it pounding away.Just ran an under ground air line and electric to the mill from my shop.Frank C.

submarinesailor

If you are looking to control your energy cost, STAY AWAY from compressed air.  According to the DOE Compressed Air Challenge, the overall efficiency of a well maintained air system is only about 11%.  When we performed energy audits on any type of commercial/industrial facility, one of the first things we looked at was the compressed air systems.

One of the DOD classified incinerators I audited a number of years ago, had 2 50HP compressors running 24x7.  They thought they needed them running to keep the natural gas burner control valves shut during the night time hours.  After some discussions, we got them to shutdown one compressor overnight to see what happened – nothing was the correct answer.  One compressor could handle the load.  So after some more (very hard-headed) discussions, we got them to shut the isolation valve to these burner control valves and shut both compressors down at night. 

Before we started this audit, this plant was using about $242.00 in electricity per day.  After we got them convinced to do this test, we were able to reduce their electrical cost by about $117.00 per day.  $117.00 per day is a lot of tax payer dollars.

So, if you are watching your energy cost very carefully..... be very careful about the use of compressed air.  If any of you guys own a shop of some type with compressed air, stay after the leaks.  Repairs will pay for themselves very quickly.

Oh, one more example.  An office furniture remanufacturer in Richmond saved "several thousands of dollars" each month when we got them to properly maintain his air system.  They also added a compressor shutdown requirement to their evening shutdown plan. Making it a fire able offence for the maintenance guys to forget to shutdown their twin 200HP compressors each night and week ends.

Bruce

backwoods sawyer

Yes, Compressed air is a very expensive commodity, and running to small of a compressor for your demands will increase that cost. Even with a small compressor, staying after the leaks will reduce your cost. However if you are just using a tank full to blow down the mill at the end of the day, or when you need to make repairs, it can be a justifiable cost.   

bandmiller2

The air is free stuffing in a tank isn't.I'am very fond of air tools. The little I use won't break the bank.I can see though a big operation with a 50 hp comp.would amount to something.Wired up the mill today 20 amp to run laser,bat charger ,block heater,and sawdust conveyer.[not all at once]No lights when its dark I'am at roost.Frank C.

red oaks lumber

if we shouldn't use air comp. because it costs tax payers. can we use politicans instead? hell they have way more air than i could use, and we already pay them. lol
good points on the energy useage just had an energy audit done , comp. air huge user!!
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

bandmiller2

Red,their not dependable,and besides they just blow an ill wind.Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!