iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

String trimmer safety gear

Started by Larry, June 04, 2007, 11:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Bought a 35cc Husky string trimmer the other day.  Lot bigger than what I have used in the past.  I'm also using it in an area with a lot of small gravel size rocks.  It has already drawn blood. :'(

What is the proper safety gear to wear while operating one?  I have a chainsaw helmet with the mesh face protector but don't know if that is heavy enough.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

TexasTimbers

I always have my boys (and me) wear the usual safety gear. long pants, goggles (full face would be better) and lately they have on their own been wearing chaps.

Sort of different note but anyone who is wanting to replace their weedeater or needs to add another, I just bought a Dolmar MS-22 C, 2 cycle weedeater. Wow! It's featherlight, winds up much faster than the Sthil, and like I said, the weight in unbelievable. Weighs I bet a thrid less. Feels like it anyway.

I'll never own another heavy 4 cycle again.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

rebocardo

They have helmets with polycarbonate shields, but, where you live I think they would fog up too easily. I hit a stone the other day with the lawn mower, I wish I had my chaps on for that one
>:( 

Gave me a good 2" bruise and cut me 1/2" wide through the pants from the impact. I didn't know cutting my weed covered backyard could be so dangerous  :D  So, I showed the kids and told them this is why I insist on you being inside while I am using the lawn mower. I think they got the idea ;)

Using the string trimmer, I wear the long pants, gloves, helmet with face shield and ear muffs. Usually I only end up with grass on my pants. But, if I use the brush wacker (3 point blade) I wear the chaps because the wood or rocks can really sting.

One thing I have learned about small rocks or pebbles when doing driveways and such, they can rebound off trees and hit you from the rebound on the side of the head.

OneWithWood

I found that when using a blade or using the string around gravel that a good pair of steel toed boots can save a lot of grief.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

leweee

Lawnmower on a stick(string trimmers)are to be treated with respect around animal scat.  ;D  You can feel it,smell it & taste it....DanG your just glad you didn't step in it. :D ;) :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

TexasTimbers

Classic Cheech and Chongish. Say that fast ten times. ;D

Dale Hatfield

I have always worn my forestry head gear. Hard hat earm muffs and Face shield with safety glasses.
The shield is just that a face shield. Its not a safety shield for projectiles. If you want that you will need a clear lexan construction face shield.I dont know if husky offers one . But i saw them on the shelf at the hardwear with the Stihl stuff.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

rebocardo

> Its not a safety shield for projectiles.

Good point! I forgot to mention, I wear prescription safety eyeglasses (polycarbonate and I forget the min. millimeter thickness) tested to the ANSI z87.1 with Titmus side shields. Orginally got them for working on trucks (Ryder), wear them for everything now!

SwampDonkey

I have my trusty $99 MTD Walmart special weed whacker. Had it 6 years and it's been a good tool for being really cheap. I am impressed and I've got way more than $100 of use from it. A fellow should have eye protection at the very least and I sometimes use double lined rain pants to keep the wet grass off my pants. Believe me it's wet when it's all whipped to death like coleslaw.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Todd

Don't weed wack poison ivy!!!  (don't ask ::))
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

TexasTimbers

Donk I bought a Homelite ST-145 at Wally World in 1988 or 89, and it lasted until this year. Incredible. I am sure it is still salvageable.

But I can't stress enough how light and powerful that little 2 cycle Dolmar is. It is a joy to use - as much as a nasty job can be to be a joy. ::)

Onthesauk

Wear safety glasses, but I should probably get a full face shield since I cut a lot of stinging nettles.  Like to do it when it's cooler so I can wear long sleeved shirts or jackets and keep them off my arms.  But no matter how careful I am will still get burned.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

jjmk98k

Weedwhacked Poison Ivy once, but I had on a one peice tyvec ( paper) suit... thinking I was safe...  covered head to toe... looked like a white and green blob...

took the suit off and headed to the shower... scrubbed real good with the classic FELS naptha soap,. thought I was golden.......

got dressed, went outside, balled up the suit, tossed it in the trash......

yeah, smart move... the suit had all the oils all over it and I just "stuffed" it into the trash, then went and pee'd , washed my hands.....and went on with my day....

you'all know what happened    :'(

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

TexasTimbers

Hey Jim, how come Warminster is such a bad place to live.  ???

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone complain about living in PA, 'cept some of those pour soul crammed into the City of Brotherly Love. ::)

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Modat22

My mom uses a green machine weedeater with shorts and sandles. Then she complains about all the cuts, bruises, and poisen ivy she gets and don't understand why. ???
remember man that thy are dust.

TexasTimbers

Well Modat, no one is going to say anything even slightly off color about another man's mom but, you ought to tell her negligent and uncaring son to get his act together and 'splain things to dear 'ol mom about flying debris and the effects thereof on unprotected human skin. ;)

Modat22

remember man that thy are dust.

jjmk98k

Kevjay, the incident happened at my camp up in northern PA... so that made it SOMEWHAT OK....

sorry to steal this thread, but......

Warminster is a norhtern suburb of Philly..... I smell the stench of the city every morning! The people here are terrible, rude and double rude.

Many times i hear in my head the lyrics "I'd like to spit some beech-nut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"

or, on calmer days, "country roads, take me home"

I have that little calvin guy you see on car windows taking a leak on the words "City life", thats on my desk at work!

but the base is here, so my job is here!
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Thank You Sponsors!