iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wormy and curly soft maple

Started by coxy, January 17, 2017, 06:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

going to have  it sawed to make a counter top would it be ok if it was brought in the house to dry through the winter and spring or should it stay out    thinking of making them 11/2 or 2in thick and 4-5in wide  would like to start making this mess in June is that possible

WDH

You are going to need a good bit of air flow in the first few weeks to prevent sticker stain and gray stain.  Green, wet, maple, in an enclosed space with no air flow is almost certainly going to sticker stain and gray stain from my experience.  Outside, under cover, with fans would be my plan.  Then, after several months, you can bring it inside. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

coxy

so your saying my june plan isn't going to happen  :)

Don P

Which June  :)
Honeydew wood dries at a different rate, determined by how many fires are burning around the homestead. It took the kitchen oak 5 years to air dry. However, it can dry amazingly fast if the fire is under something critical.

YellowHammer

Quote from: coxy on January 17, 2017, 05:45:39 PM
so your saying my june plan isn't going to happen  :)
No, I mill a lot of soft maple in summer, but as WDH says, airflow, and lots of it, is required to flash off the surface moisture for the first few weeks, or it will look like zebra wood, with lots of stripes. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

low_48

You can't bring it indoors right off the sawmill. Not if you have the furnace or wood stove running that is. Indoor air is way too dry for fresh cut wood. You'd see cracking in just a couple of days.

Thank You Sponsors!