iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Translate Spanish Machine Name for Me

Started by Fla._Deadheader, January 09, 2010, 04:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Scopladora

It might be some sort of Mortising device, but, the guy claims once you obtain depth, you just crank sideways to cut the Mortise. It's SUPPOSED to cut the square corners just like a Mortiser ???   Beats ME ???  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

Never heard of such. Sounds like a dado though.

A Sopladora is an injection machine or a blower (like for blowing leaves)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

He spelled it with a C.  I can't believe he can cut a long groove with a modified ?? Mortiser ???   He say so ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

jim king

Here the mortiser is a "scopladora also".   Normally it is drill chuck attached to the end of the saw mandrel that sticks out the side of a wooden table saw.  An adjustable table can be raised and lowered to adjust to the thickness of the peice receiving the mortise.

They drill holes side by side to rough in the mortise and then slide the peice back and forth to clean it out.  Not very fancy but it works.

This is the only photo I can come up with now.  Imagine it as you read.   You can see where the mandrel shaft is coming out the side of the table.  The drill chuck attaches to that.  The two peices of vertical angle iron have a slot in each one and that is how a small table about 6 inches x 24 inches is adjusted up and down with a couple of wing nuts.

It is not very high tech.  You lay the peice to receive the mortise on the small table and push it into the drill bit to get a series of holes and then slide the peice back and forth to clean out the slot.

I took it off of this table saw.  I just dont like walking around a drill bit sticking out the side.

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Jim.  8) 8)

I use my drill press to do the same thing. This guy says it has the square chisel outside the drill bit, but, he can still run the wood back and forth to clean out the mortise ???  I don't see it, myself, but, he's gonna get a photo for me ???

I would like a GOOD mortiser, but, this hardwood is tough to chisel, as it is, and I believe the square chisels would be tough to shove through the wood ???  Any thoughts on that ??? 

I like to make tools and such, but, you guys really are inventive.  8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

jim king

I use a table top General mortiser now.  I dont see how a square bit could be attached to a drill press.  Saying that , these people out of necessity can make about anything so it is certainly possible.

I have used the drill bit method and the General mortiser on hard woods with good luck.  It is a bit slower but you can do it.

Here is a photo of a night table for a bedroom set done with mortise and tenon from a very hard and brittle wood using the square bit. 

I have never cared for mahogany or any of the softer punky woods like that.

Fla._Deadheader

The square mortising attachment is for drill presses. I have never seen or used one, but, CRtreedude has one, from Grizzly, I believe. Had to modify it to work correctly on his drill press.

I use Spanish Cedar, but, don't like it. It tears out real easy, and the dust is sickening, no matter how hard you try to filter the air around you.   People here like the color.

I prefer the hardwoods also. It's just different for me, being used to softer USA wood.

That table base looks like what we call Ojoche, in CR.  I love that stuff.  Thanks again.
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Lee Valley sells'm. Delta brand. It comes as a whole kit to mount on the drill press. Here's some photos from the catalog.

Attachment Assembly:

Attachment Kit:

Bit replacements and sharpening stones:

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

And, ya din't even post the price ??? ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Old price here Harold (2002). The kit is $109, replacement chisels and bits (4) is $53.50 and pair of sharpening stones is $9.50.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crtreedude

Harold, that picture is what we got from Grizzly. Been working just fine for about two years now on our drill press. Come over and see sometime.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

How does it work on Ojoche or other hard type wood ???  I have enough trouble using a wood chisel to clean up slots and such. ???

I need something GOOD to do Mortises.
   First, it is ridiculed;

D._Frederick

Deadhead,

For a Birthday present, I bought a Delta bench mortiser, after seeing Norm use one on this Tv series. I wanted to get away from the hassel of installing the attachment on my floor drill press. After now using both, my pick is the drillpress with mortice attachment. You can change drill speeds and the drillpress is geared a lot lower so the it does not require as much force to force the chisel into the wood.

The Delta runs at 1750 rpm and the chips are smoking hot, you need to have a pail of water handy for fire protection. The morticer chisels that you get are not very good quality, the design doesnot allow the chips to clear. To get the better chisels, you are looking at $50 to $100 range.

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks for the info, D. You pretty busy building things ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!