iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sunday drive

Started by Paul_H, June 25, 2006, 08:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

Today is my daughter Mary's 4th birthday and Carla's parents are out from Calgary so I took her dad and my two youngest up the logging road where I'm working right now. It is about 20 minutes from our house and it looks over our valley  and is a popular spot for paragliders.
I took a whole bunch of pics of some launching and some landing.The McKenzie basin is rocky and Southwest facing and we're told that they can ride the thermals all day.We watched for a couple of hours and if the kids hadn't been played out,Carla's dad would still be there.

Here is one coming in for a landing.He stopped for a bit then took off again and they eventually land down in the valley

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

sawguy21

I'll stand and watch too, thank you very much. :D Thanks for the pics, that is incredibly beautiful country (when its not socked in)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pigman

Great pics Paul . 8)  I always wanted to  do the paraglide thing. I also wanted to get older and I didn't think I could do both. ;)
Bob the coward
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

woodbowl

Paul, I've got a big ole' lump in my throat ....... right there.  :'(

Those are some really nice pics and they bring back memories of my hanggliding days. I've never been paragliding, but I've always wanted to.

If you get the chance to go, please do it. There's nothing like light flying. These folks are having the time of their life.

I've had people ask me ......... what  ??  are you on a death wish or something? I just smiled and said, ..... life wish is more like it.   ;)

..............................  Bob, your not a coward, those are just gentle butterflies to introduce you to pure freedom.  ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Paul_H

I hear ya Bob  :D

For awhile it was like Carpenter Ants dropping out of the sky right beside us.

Woodbowl,

Watching them today has got me wishing so we'll see what develops.They are taking off from a gentle slope off an old landing in a logging slash.Yesterday on of the guy's had to pull the emergency chute...

woodbowl

Quote from: Paul_H on June 25, 2006, 10:21:49 PM
Yesterday on of the guy's had to pull the emergency chute...

What was the story on that? Did he get caught in a draft or have a malfunction?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Paul_H

I heard something about trying a new wing and it collapsed and he was trying to get it right but had to pull the chute with not much time to spare.My understanding of it was the guy was experienced and maybe a bit of a hotdogger so he may have been pushing the limits.
Those men and women have their own language for what they do.I grew up with one of the regulars there and I've asked him about it before but I think it would be a good day to drive him up and drop him off.I think it would be a great way to learn the ropes.

woodbowl

Be sure to keep us up to date on the fun you plan to have.  ;)

Paul_H

Olen,
I"m going to take it one day at a time  ;)

Lucy and I had the urge to attack this one with our pitch forks

and finally,

Norm

Those two girls are growing like weeds Paul. :)

Looks like a great way to spend the afternoon.

Roxie

Wow!  Pigman and I will watch the girls while you go flying.   :D

What a beautiful area to live!! 
Say when

Furby

DanG it Paul! >:(
You are just TRYING to get me to come up there aren't ya?
Every time I turn around you post something else trying to lure me up there..... thought you didn't fish?
Coulda fooled me! :D

sawguy21

Paul wants to see the whites of your eyes when you come down THE HILL into Mt Currie with that super B. :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Furby

:D :D :D ;D
I'm stupid enough to do it AND enjoy it! ;D

UNCLEBUCK

Boy that looks peaceful !  If I lived by there I would do it for sure but my sink rate would be excessively high , yes my L/D ratio be extremely negative  :D

I'll just push Furby off the hill and listen to him scream all the way down  fly_smiley
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

SwampDonkey

Looks like a great time, great scenery also.

It's ok to watch others do it, but I'm like pigman, and I wasn't ment to fly.  Skin and bone against rock hurts. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!