iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not Bad For a Sunday Afternoon....

Started by Coon, October 30, 2011, 08:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

Well I kinda had a lazy morning... ;D  ....but the afternoon was somewhat busier.  I managed go out to the farm and cut a load of firewood.  Keep in mind the farm is a 150 mile round trip from home here.  I had skid the load out with the old Massey 35 buck, split and load all by my lonesome.  ;)  Ah well, it was kinda peaceful out there anyhow.... 

**The camera date is wrong by the way and I do not know off hand how to set the date.**

Old Grumpy (my truck), had a pretty good workout today so I thought I would be kind to hims for the night and put the jackalls under the back bumper to take some of the weight off the springs.   ;D  He's got cancer if you haven't noticed but he agrees that he is still a good ol' workhorse and has promised that he won't kick the bucket any time soon if I treat hims right.   ;D   :D 

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Dean186

It is always a satisfying feeling to get a load of wood.  The photos also add a lot to a post.  Thanks for including them.

Sprucegum

8) Where's that daylight we been saving all summer?

Al_Smith

You can't kill those old trucks .If the metal termites got too bad just toss a sheet of plywood in the bed and get another ten years out of it .Well it might take several sheets of plywood come to think of it .

Al_Smith

:D It's all in retrospect .When I was about 30 I could get a bed full on a 3/4 ton Ford in maybe an hour,unsplit .Some 30 years later it takes about that long too but the truck is a short bed Ranger .

Coon

Heck, today I feel like I loaded a 5 ton and it was only a measly 1/2 ton.  :D

It was dark:30 by the time I got home.   ;D 

How much firewood do you figure is on there?  it is just thrown on not stacked.  I figure there is about 1/2-2/3 of a cord.

Al_Smith

An 8 foot bed stacked about even or slightly over the bed rail is about a half cord .You have pretty close to that I'd say .

You can get a cord on a pick up truck but it's up above the cab and very unstable .You might have two tons with a full cord which would flatten the tires of a 1/2 ton and bulge the tires of a 3/4 ton .A full cord isn't bad to go two hundred feet but not a good idea for 75 miles .

beenthere

Quote from: Coon on October 31, 2011, 03:27:59 PM
Heck, today I feel like I loaded a 5 ton and it was only a measly 1/2 ton.  :D

It was dark:30 by the time I got home.   ;D 

How much firewood do you figure is on there?  it is just thrown on not stacked.  I figure there is about 1/2-2/3 of a cord.

About a weeks worth, if not real windy and cold. ;) Keep going, as there are few Sunday's left.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Meadows Miller

Gday

Nice looking load off wood there Mate  ;) ;D 8) my question is if its soo far to the farm why didnt you take a trailer with you i know thats what I do mate ;) ;D

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Al_Smith

You could probably do that .A 16 foot trailer and a pick up will hold about 3-3.5 cord give or take depending .Takes a half mile to get up to speed and quite a distance to stop unless you toss out an anchor .Probabley not the thing to do though on an old 1/2 ton Jimmey .

buckgrunt

What ???  No snow yet in the great white north !!! ???  Here in NH we already have a foot and a half (or should I say 1/2 meter)......Great for tracking deer......

Coon

Nope No Snow here YET.  ;D  Heck the ground is barely freezing at night yet.... but is getting pretty cool.  Won't be long now though.   ;D  We had more snow two weeks or more ago than we do now.  It melted as fast as it touched down.   :D 

I did have a small trailer behind me pick up but it was hauling a few 2x4's and a bunch of 1 inch wind boards for corrals.  My little trailer was stressed out by the time we got home.   :D  It only has little pith cutters on it for tires and I had her maxed out.  I dropped the trailer off at a customers so he could unload it this morning.  That little order paid for the fuel alone and the firewood is my profit.   ::)

beenthere, I could stretch that load out to a month if it were to stay like it is right now, but I believe we are working on borrowed time weatherwise. 

buckgrunt, I don't have to track deer..... When I shoot they just hit the ground from having a heart attack when I miss at close range.   ;)   :D   I got them coming into the nice lush green hay and field peas every night after dark (at the farm).  There is a really nice ten point buck that we got on trail cam too.... we are fattening him up right now.   ;D  But in less than a month he will be sausages and chops.   ;D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: buckgrunt on October 31, 2011, 10:57:33 PM
What ???  No snow yet in the great white north !!! ???  Here in NH we already have a foot and a half (or should I say 1/2 meter)......Great for tracking deer......

Gotta have deer though, yesterday all I saw was coyote and rabbit tracks in the snow. ::) ;)

What I was going ask Coon was: after you loaded the truck what did you do the rest of the day? I woulda thought a young fella would be able to cut, haul and stack easily in that time. Well now, the first line in the opening post give me the answer. Seems late to be gathering firewood. ;D ;) :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Coon,

On the Forestry Forum Scale, that is at least a half a whack!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Coon

Swamp Donkey, town by-laws do not allow us to burn firewood as our primary heat source.  I have more than enough to last for what I need.  This firewood is all for sale.  Don't forget I had to skid this wood out before I could buck, split, and load it.  ;)  I am a one man show as well.... even if it is sometimes a one man gong show.   :D 

WDH,  if that is a half a whack,  then I will show you a huge WHACK after a full day skidding.  In no word of a lie I could take out 100 cords of dry spruce off our woodlot and still have a pile left.  the problem lies in the  wet ground.  Waiting on the frost right now so I can get at more of the wood.  I don't plan on burying the old massey antime soon.  ;) 

I will get a whack of pictures the next time I go out there.  I will make a point of getting them.  Normally I just get to busy and forget about taking any. 

SwampDonkey

Just tormenting ya Coon.  ;D

You guys get inversion problems with the smoke in town? People out here in the villages and small towns would just ignore that bi-law. ;)

As Heston would say "from my cold dead hands" ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

Well, I had to deal with the town ****ers today cuz I got some firewood and lumber stacked in my back yard.  They said I need a business license to sell any of it.  Told them that it is my own personal stash and I cut and deliver right to my customers and only take orders for my sales.  The dude said that he didn't believe me that the material isn't for sale.   ;)  I said, oh yeah..... Guess you'll have to wait and see then...... :D  Tonight I will give them something to complain about.  Going to build a nice smokey fire..... warned all the neighbours what is up too and they are going to stand behind me in fighting the firewood bylaws and the fact that they don't want me to store any lumber on my own property.  Since when is it against the law....  >:(  >:(  >:(

WH_Conley

I would think that telling people that they had to spend a couple thousand dollars on propane or oil, when they can get their own wood for a couple hundred and labor would be a good way to get a knot on the head.
Bill

Coon

The guy was back earlier after I lit a smokey fire.   :D   :D  He told me that if I didn't put the fire out he would have me charged.....  :D   :D  I told him go ahead have me charged then and the next time you come on my property you had better have the police and have a warrant...  The cops did show up too and the cop told the town guy to back off because I was not in any violation of the bylaws by any means.... the fire was in my little shed I use as a workshop.  I told the cop that now because of all this I am going to make a point and my lumber piles are going to keep growing and same with my wood piles.   ;D  He just rolled his eyes and just kinda snickered as he walked away.  He told the town guy that if any of them harass me about anything at all, I would be pressing charges.  The cop clarified that I do not need a business license if this is my personal materials and that if none of the materials I sell gets offloaded from my vehicles or trailers as part of the sales transaction then I do not need a business license for this town.  I do however have a licence for the town of Kelvington and a number of other municipalities where my main business transactions take place.   ;D  If the town leaves me alone for the rest of 2011 I will gladly buy a business license wether any business takes place here or not.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!