iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

? for magicman and others

Started by albirk, March 15, 2011, 05:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

albirk

magicman you talk about hack and squirt ? is how do you hack and what do you squirt with the reason i ask i clean alot of fence rows for a farmer for my firewood he bought some brand x brush killer and the stumps looked like you planted 10 shrubs around them the fence row looks great in the spring but in the fall it is a bigger mess then before you start just would like to no what others spray the stumps with
thanks alan

customsawyer

Read the label and see if the tree you are trying to kill is on there. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ely

use a 50% mix of glyphosate and water it should treat cut stumps on just about every species except two.  locust and mesquite are tough to kill but it gets em most times.

if its an area thats not wet typically you can also do well with a strong mixture of diesel and pichloram? thats not the spelling sorry. 

also if you are spraying cut stumps in the spring when the sap is rising it will throw off alot of the herbicide.

sandhills

We primarily use Tordon on fresh cut stumps here, I have a buddy that uses a cordless drill and drills down at an angle in the stump, then puts it in the whole to kill the tree before its cut down.  Basically same principle as MM's hack and squirt.

RPF2509

A good idea would be to consult with your county agricultural agent about what works and what is legal.  I agree that spring is a poor time for hack and squirt.  Usually late summer, fall and even winter if things don't freeze solid are the most effective time.  Diluting glyphosate may or may not be more effective.  Imazapyr (Arsenal trademark) can be very effective but can translocate through the soil or root grafts and damage other nearby species.  Again consult with local experts and be sure to read the product label before using.

Brad_bb

I use Toradon(sp?) here on my farm.  I cut and then paint with a brush.  Works great.  Mulberry is my primary problem.  They are very resilient if you don't systemically kill them.  I just cleaned my fence rows of small ones last week.   
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

CX3

Tordon is mean stuff.  Be careful with it, they say wherever it touches the ground that nothing will grow there for 20+ years.  Or so I've heard
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

WDH

Tordon is soil active, so don't slop it all over the place.  It is what I use.  When treating a stump or tree, the only part that is important to coat is the cambium which is between the inner bark and the solid wood.  Painting the entire stump instead of just the cambial ring is of no value, takes longer, and wastes herbicide.  Same hold true for hack-n-squirt.  The hack does not need to be deep as long as you penetrate to the cambium. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

Quote from: CX3 on March 15, 2011, 03:11:46 PM
Tordon is mean stuff.  Be careful with it, they say wherever it touches the ground that nothing will grow there for 20+ years.  Or so I've heard
Where would I go to buy some of this "Tordon" stuff?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Texas Ranger

Danny, it has been 25 years since I used any Tordon, but I seem to remember that soil contact broke down Tordon.  Do I remember wrong?  Getting old, ya know.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

customsawyer

Tordon is very soil active. I use it treating kudzu and the like but if you are putting out a high rate per acre you have to be careful of what is down stream.
Tordon is also a restricted use pesticide and you have to have a applicators license to buy. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Norm

You can buy tordon RTU at most farm supply stores. You do not need an applicators license to buy it or use it.

Brad_bb

Yes there are a lot of warnings with Tordon.  There are limits as to how much can be used per acre etc. and how it can be.  Use it sparingly!  I use it mostly on small Mulberry from pencil size up to about 4 inches.  Using it on heartwood would not be effective, but mulberry doesn't have much heartwood unless it is big.  You want it to be drawn into the trees circulation system.  I obtained some from a farmer with license, but I am  very careful with the stuff, both in it's application, and my personal safety. I've learned alot about this stuff and other fungicides and pesticides (through my grape growing) . Many herbicides will go inert after a period of time.  I can't remember on Tordon unless I read the info again.  I apply it with a small paint brush and don't slop it around. I've had very good success with it killing the small mulberry trees after I've cut them, but thankfully don't have to use very much.  The same bottle has lasted for years.  Whatever you do, read and understand all the manufacturer information.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

JV

Has anyone used Garlon or Remedy?  Looks like Garlon runs $300-$350 for a minimum of 2.5 gallons.  If I read the online label right, it mixes 50:l with water.  Remedy runs $100 + a gallon and mixes 3:1 with diesel fuel or kerosene.  I don't believe they are restricted use.  I let my applicators license lapse years ago and haven't kept up.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

WDH

Garlon is great.  I use it as the preferred foliar spray in a 3% solution.  Mix in 3% roundup and you have a mix that will kill broadleaf hardwoods and grasses.  Neither is soil active, but this mix will kill most anything that you get it on. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CX3

I get tordon at any local farm supply.  I think you do need a applicators license if buying it in bulk jugs, but I am not certain about that.  You can buy it over the counter in the little bottles without a license
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

WDH

I am not sure if the small bottles are full strength or not.

I think that Remedy is the generic for Garlon 4.

Don_Papenburg

I use generic glyphosate straight up ,applied with a brush to the mulberry stump .  Just paint it on wet with fullcoverage. tree quits growing.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

WildDog

WDH hit the nail on the head, just paint the cambian layer.

Not sure how relevant it is for you guys on that side of the world. Down here I use Tordon or straight roundup for stem injection, some of the generic glysophates are very thin and I have found some regrowth on our eucalyptus, for honey locusts and in riparian zones I basal bark with a mix of diesel and starane (picloram should do it) just use a backpack and spray the trunk for a couple of feet.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Norm

They've dropped the price of the real roundup so much you can buy it for what they sell the generic for. Be careful of what you buy labeled as roundup because some of the extended use kinds have soil active additives with it. I have well water so I do not like using anything that persists. The tordon rtu has a popup top and you can use just a tiny bit around the stump edge like Danny says. Never had one come back from that.

Magicman

I have been on the road sawing for a few days, but anyway, at first I used Pathway.  I was a bit disappointed because I thought that it wasn't working, but it's just slower.  Last year I used 8oz or Arsenal per gallon of water.  That worked and fast.  I paid $535 for a 2½ gallon jug, which will go a looong way.  I have used Remedy, but am satisfied with my present mix.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

albirk

thanks for all the tips i'm one the road now so i can't look at the bottle but i think it is for around the house use so it will not kill flowers and things it was a quart bottle that you mixed 1 cup to ten gallon of water it may not kill a stump if poured on without mixing with water
thanks alan

miking

I use Garlon or Element 4 for basal bark applications frequently in the non-growing seasons , mostly late fall and winter but it is useful year round. It is an oil base herbicide and its cousin 3A, both Garlon and Element trade names is water based like Round-Up and others. I don't know which of these I like better in the growing season but 3A is a little more long-termed in its effectiveness as it takes longer to break down than Round-Up. Someone mentioned black locust a ways back and 50% Round-Up is killer on it if applied cut-stump or in a frill cut in late fall.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Thank You Sponsors!