iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Paper is not dead

Started by Jeff, March 14, 2013, 08:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Mary has an iphone and ipad and her own PC but she writes all kinds of notes on cards, tablets, pads, envelops, and even on her hand. She has a daily planner she notes down the weather conditions of several places and events of the day. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

doctorb

I write reminder notes to myself and then can't find them. ;D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: doctorb on March 14, 2013, 09:30:24 AM
I write reminder notes to myself and then can't find them. ;D

Doc,

I used to have that problem. Then I started writing notes to remind myself about where I put the original reminder notes. Now I can't find either of them when I'm looking for them but they always show up once I've decided I don't need them any longer. (I think Mr. Murphy might be involved in this. You do know that the scary thing about Mr. Murphy is that many people who knew him thought the was an optimist!)

Herb

Jeff

I write reminder notes and put them where Tammy will find them. Takes the pressure off. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

hackberry jake

I am a printing press operator. We print mainly business forms and pay checks. Paper isn't dead, but it is definately dying. I hired on in 2004. We had over 300 employees at our plant. People have been retiring and getting let go and the gap isn't being filled. We are down to around 50 employees now. The road doesn't look too good in the future.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

doctorb

Isn't the printing process much more computerized than it used to be?  Did that cut down on the need for employees?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ianab

Quote from: doctorb on March 14, 2013, 02:09:48 PM
Isn't the printing process much more computerized than it used to be?  Did that cut down on the need for employees?

That, and the fact that most forms are either done online, or printed out on a laser printer as needed.

Years ago all our computer clients ran pre-printed self-duplicating stationary for packing slips, invoices and statements. Now it's just plain paper, and the letterhead details and logos are printed at the same time. Even that is reducing and they are going to electronic transmission for a lot of that paperwork.

Like my Doc no longer has a pre-printed prescription pad. A note just comes off the printer, he signs it, and gives it to me.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chuck White

Good one Jeff!  ;D  :D  ;D  :D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

hackberry jake

Quote from: doctorb on March 14, 2013, 02:09:48 PM
Large scale printing is still done the same way it's been done for 50+ years. Rotary lithograph offset printing. The bigges thing that has changed it more small scale printing with digital printers and the elimination of forms. Not many people get an actual paycheck anymore, it's all direct deposit. We do a lot of hospital forms, they are going over to electronic forms as well. The checks we do usually have glue on them and that's our "niche" market. We also do a few states DMV forms with the year sticker.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

sprucebunny

I'm pretty sad about the demise of paper. Not just from the forestry point of view but I don't see any convienence in the computer stuff for the consumer.
Maybe other people have better luck but I've lost 3 harddrives and two backup harddrives. That would not be handy at tax time.
Just today I had to spend an hour at the cellular store to update the expiration date of my credit card that pays the bill. All that because they no longer have the form that you fill out and mail in. ::)
Apparently, Emma and I just don't have much faith in computer stuff.

And I would prefer that vehicles had less computers, also. They get replaced not fixed like mechanical things.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Autocar

Made me smile ! That was OK  ;D.
Bill

Den Socling

My dad buys cars with all kinds of electronic equipment. He ends up trading them in because he can't figure out how to use anything.

clww

Den-How old is your Dad?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Den Socling

91+ and still tries to work like a horse.

clww

That's great! My mother-in-law turned 90 yesterday. She still drives and does it well, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Ianab on March 14, 2013, 02:29:44 PM

That, and the fact that most forms are either done online, or printed out on a laser printer as needed.

Ian

A lot of books are getting printed in Asia, even books you wouldn't suspect. 8 of out 10 text books I purchased in the last year have all been printed in Asia.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!