iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying a Huge Butternut Log

Started by firefighter ontheside, January 08, 2021, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I wish that I could be more help on this one.  I have no experience with butternut.  It should have a chambered pith like walnut, so if you see that in a twig, it would be definitive.  There is nothing that I see in the pics that suggest to me that it is not butternut. Try to find a twig and look for a chambered pith, that is about the best help that I can be. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

That's a good thing for me to tell him to look for.  I will talk to him tomorrow and have him find a twig if he hasn't cleaned them all up and burned them.  I bet there's still something laying around.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SwampDonkey

Here's a butternut bowel. Just mineral oil on it.

and

on the lathe

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

You guys south of us get a lot of exotics in people's back yards. This could be an Asian walnut (English or Japanese walnut), no idea, but not butternut. :D

Walnut Beast

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 11, 2021, 05:35:32 PM
This butternut tray and paddle was hand carved from local trees by my old time family members, who were first to settle the Tobique River in the 1860's. She's stained up over the years with all that butter wash'n. ;D

Beautiful. Was it made around that time ?

curved-wood

Here is  a detail of a wardrobe door in wild butternut. The dark streak is a bit of the bark (it is a mistake, since it was supposed to be inside). The whiter color is the sap wood, so a bit like the picture of the bowl that the customer sends you. You could see the grain on the horizontal piece. The door is finished with just oil which makes a very soft and pleasant feeling. The wood is fairly soft, a bit like white pine.

SwampDonkey

Yep, it's old. My great great grandmother Elizabeth Armstrong Demerchant, wife of Nimrod (an old bible name) used it for making butter. Mom's cousin had it for years, her mother inherited it since she married uncle Will, Elizabeth's son, who got the homestead. Elizabeth had 12 kids and Uncle Will had 10. There was and are butternut trees all around there. The hydro electric dam is sitting there now, government expropriated the land for the dam. I have an old photo here of the homestead sitting there and them blasting with dynamite for the dam site.

alan gage

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on January 11, 2021, 08:34:10 PM
So the guy sent me some pics of a bowl that somebody made with some of the wood.  I guess this was from a crotch.  Doesn't look like butternut to me.  I told him I don't think its butternut.  

Not saying it is cottonwood but it still looks to me like it could be.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

stanmillnc

Here's a picture of the butternut I cut, from the logs pictured in my earlier post in this thread

SwampDonkey

Stan, not even a walnut, and not native butternut for sure. I have not see that grain in mine. Lots of light pink, grey, chestnut brown in all my butternut furniture. You can see two different boards here side by side with water-base finish, non yellowing.

SwampDonkey

alan gage

Here's a ~30" eastern cottonwood on the mill. The end is covered with ancorseal:

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

firefighter ontheside

Thanks Alan, I would say you are right about the cottonwood.  I wish I had never seen the ad for butternut.  I sent the guy a message and pictures of the chambered pith.  Told him to check some twigs.  He sent me back a picture of several twigs split down the middle with no chambers.  He insisted it was still butternut.  I just called him and told him that it cannot be butternut.  I feel like he needs money and is desperate to sell these logs as butternut, since he clearly can't claim it is walnut.  At least now I know a lot about butternut that I didn't know before.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SwampDonkey

smiley_clapping thumbs-up You did the proper thing.

Walnut Beast

Just curious. After you looked at it then said you were going to come back and get it. Did you tell him you would take it. Then over time you determined on here it wasn't 

firefighter ontheside

I looked at it and told him how much I would be willing to pay if I determined that it was indeed butternut.  I told him that I wasn't sure because there was no sign of a nut anywhere on the ground.  Came back here and got info here that lead me to believe it was not butternut.  I message him right away last night and told him all the things he needed to check to make sure it was butternut.  I don't feel that either of was dishonest.  Just neither of us expert enough to know for sure.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

The chambered pith does not lie.  Stan, your wood sure looks like elm to me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WDH on January 12, 2021, 08:03:30 PM
Stan, your wood sure looks like elm to me.
Having a second glance, I would have to agree. I'd like to see the end grain. Nice clear photo if you would. ;D

SwampDonkey

A little bit of curl grain in butternut.

You can see the planer fuzzed up the grain some. Anyone have a spiral planer? ;D

SwampDonkey

Stan, here's white elm, it gets quite light (weight) when dry.

Had a guy saw some elm for me. He thought he had some red oak in a stack he sawed. I spied some of my elm, that was fine because I was giving him wood for sawing. But I says in my head, "if you want to be a dishonest sawyer (this guy is a forest technician so should know local woods) let me get what is mine so I can go home". :D My dad and uncle were there to help load and tail my logs/lumber in my absence and the guy quits in the middle of the day, with maybe 10 logs left to saw. Dad was not impressed, nor I. Not a model sawyer. Needless to say, I had some butternut laying there to spoil. By the time I came along asking to saw the remainder, the butternut was all spoiled. Became firewood kindling. He is like a lot of wannabes that bought mills in my area at the time, most mills are parked in the weeds or sold. ;) I know a couple good fellas that stuck it out and had great service.

Thank You Sponsors!