iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

butternut!

Started by donny hochstetler, July 09, 2008, 09:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donny hochstetler

I found a big butternut tree, that fell over in a storm, that i know i can get if i want it. Does anybody know how, or what i should saw out of it. I have a brand x  swingmill, and i havn"t sawed any grade with it yet, not sure what tech. to use, as all i've sawed so far is dimensional lumber. I know they use butternut for carving,and also whats it worth, any info. would be appreciated.P.S. I just recieved my 48,in. logrite canthook today, i"m sure i'll like it .they sure do have a nice product line. i"ll probably get there arch next summer.the logrite people had a stand at a local show, that i was helping out with. HORSE PROGRESS DAYS pretty interesting

solidwoods

#1.  If its from residential use a metal detector.
Cut it for the customer.
No customer then cut it to what best suits the benchstock materials that you sell from your inventory.
If it's a knotty or low grade log I'd make thick out of it.  Good grade log, then 4/4.
Properly air dry it or it will ruin.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

Butternut is very popular for wood carving. I cut several butternut logs each year. I cut a few 4/4 boards if I can get clear lumber. I cut the rest 4" thick at whatever width 6"or 8" wide. I also have cut 6X6 and 7X7 and even 8X8 for carvers. I then air dry it for a while and then put it in my solar kiln. I usually don't have much trouble selling it but I like the wood so if it don't sell I will use it myself. Find a carving group or advertise to carvers. In the ballpark 3.00 to 4.00 a bdft. It is getting harder to find as they have a canker that is killing them. It is really wonderful wood to work with hand or power tools

Good Luck
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

peterduncan

I made a beautiful corner hutch out of butternut. Excellent working qualities. Great for raised panel and lite as a feather.

SwampDonkey

It's not bad looking wood. Here are some unfinished surfaces. ;D

The wood is light brown with gray streaks into it and it is not known to hold screws well. This was wood from dad's farm. There is very little sapwood, usually less than an inch.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!