iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 028

Started by hms79, April 18, 2024, 05:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hms79

Guy wants $150 for this old 028 Wood Boss. It runs well, but what do you guys think?
3 McCulloch Pro Mac 610s, Pro Mac 55, Stihl MS 170, Stihl 028 WB

Magicman

My old 028AV now lives full time at my farm property, but it has to be one of the sweetest running saws that I have ever had.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

If it runs, buy it. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

Those older series saws are very robust .They made enough of them you could find parts forever .I have only one 028 which like many I own was gifted to me .I seldom use it because quite frankly I have lighter faster saws but saying that they are a nice firewood type of saw .I might add before I got it it survived a long time as ground saw for a tree service .Any saw that can stand the abuse in that type of work has to be robust .

hms79

Well, after seeing it run in person, I bought it. The bar could probably be replaced. I know it's 18", but would there be a different brand of bar besides a Stihl brand that anyone would recommend? What chain would you all recommend as well?

Magicman

Your bar and chain will need to match your drive sprocket.  Mine came with a .325.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hms79

Quote from: Magicman on April 20, 2024, 04:57:21 PMYour bar and chain will need to match your drive sprocket.  Mine came with a .325.
Unfortunately, I don't have a manual, is there a serial number on it somewhere so I could look it up?

thecfarm

Got a shop saw that you could take it too?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hms79

Quote from: thecfarm on April 20, 2024, 05:29:55 PMGot a shop saw that you could take it too?
Unfortunately, not that I'm aware of. I wish I did. I bought this because a new one was way too expensive at the moment, and older is always better than newer. If I knew of a shop, then I could have one of my old McCulloch saws looked at.

DHansen

The drive sprocket on my Stihl has the pitch number on the sprocket.  Should be a number .325 or 3/8 followed by a 7 or 8.  Indicating pitch and number of teeth for the drive.  Then just buy the chain and bar to match the gauge and drive links.  The old bar will also have this information on the bar.  First four numbers will be the bar mount pattern if it's a Shihl bar.  Like 3003 or 3005. I think the 028WB will be 3003 mount and as Magicman said .325 was stock.  But with its age You should make sure if its .325 or 3/8 pitch.

hms79

Ok I will look at this. I have a much newer little MS 170, so parts seem easier to find. As far as the old McCullochs I inherited, I usually just look at the package the bar and chain is in. I'm sure this is wrong, but I am no chainsaw expert. I probably should have paid more attention while my Daddy was still around...

Al_Smith

Quote from: hms79 on April 20, 2024, 05:25:43 PM
Quote from: Magicman on April 20, 2024, 04:57:21 PMYour bar and chain will need to match your drive sprocket.  Mine came with a .325.
Unfortunately, I don't have a manual, is there a serial number on it somewhere so I could look it up?
That's easy enough to find .Go to Google and type in Stihl 028 manual .

Thank You Sponsors!