iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peterson WPF.... Now the wait begins

Started by dredgeslavedave, March 05, 2006, 08:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dredgeslavedave

Well today is the day I got to order my new mill from Peterson Portable Sawmills. Originally my wife agreed to a 13hp Honda 8" ATS This is their $10,000 mill she also agreed that since I have a customer that needs a 40' beam milled I could also get the second set of tracks. Another $2,000 Well after the Oregon Logging Conference in Eugene Oregon I was persuaded to go with the next model up. The WPF, This mill the way I wanted it set up would be about $22,000. Now being that I have been married for a fair number of years I knew that it would need to be her idea to get this mill. So I told her what everyone here on the forum told me about going with the most hp. Then I told her how amazing the electric raising winch was. Sat down and played the video that Petersons had sent me. And pointed out all the good features on the WPF. You can access the mill easily from the sides. Then told her I was going to go ahead and get the $12,000 ATS we had agreed on and that would be the end of the discussion. Well That did not sit well with her. She flat out told me I would be getting The WPF. Even if it was an extra 10,000 All those added extras would just make life simpler for me. She had spoken and that was that.

OK here is a list of all the options I had to order because of after all she is the boss.

8" WPF with a 27hp Kohler engine
Upgrade to a large frame
Electric raising winch
Complete second set of tracks
Hi/Lo track option
Weatherboard/clapboard/featherboard attachment for cutting tapered boards
And 2 extra saw blades

I hate it when she makes me get the best!
Now for the bad part. The 7-9 weeks waiting for the mill.
Dave.
3 Alaskan's and a Grandburg mini mill. The newest addition to the family, Peterson WPF 8 inch with electric raising winch

ronwood

Congratulation on the new mill. Nice when a plan comes together.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

jpgreen

The boss is ALWAYS right..  ;D  Congratulations on your new mill..  8) smiley_beertoast
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Troy

Well it sounds like you have a great gal there Dave!  Tell her your buddies on the Forum envy you and we are sure you will make her proud once she sees what you can do with your new mill.  Now, on to the wait.  That was the longest two months of my life.  I couldn't wait for my ATS to get here so I know what you are going to be going through.  There is a lot you can do to get ready as I am sure you are aware.  Looks like you will have a great setup.  Congratulations!

Troy
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

getoverit

That is going to be the longest 7-9 weeks of your life,

BUT

MAN !!

it's sure worth the wait !!

You're really going to enjoy your new Peterson mill (the voice of experience) ;D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Part_Timer

That is one fine machine that you ordered.  Congratulations.  
Start collecting logs now.  It won't take long to make boards with that mill.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

jpgreen

So I can get an ATS-8 and 13hp Honda for $10,000?  Hmmmmmmm..   :-*

I've got to pay for my non running LT40 first..  :D

ronwood

For us bandmill guys that don't know much about the peterson what it the biggest difference between the ATS and WPF?

Thanks
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

thecfarm

I went to peterson web site and got the answers to the ATS and the WPF.Seems like there is one more style still.It's quite a saw.I'm really impressed with a swing mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hammy

Just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you aboard Dave. Glad to hear you had a good time at the Oregon show & met our Regional Center there.

I will make a mental note of this very wise advice, I've been married 8 years & didn't know that little gem. Cheers Dave, happy milling & keep in touch  ;)

(By the way, we are currently looking at sending another batch of stock mills.)

Ron, the best place to go to understand the differences between the  ATS & WPF  is our website www.petersonsawmills.com

If you require further clarification please contact me chammond@petersonsawmills.com

Thanks!
C. Hammond
Petersons

DanG

Congrats Dave, and welcome to the sawmiller's community.  You are an ace at that marriage thing! 8) 8)  Now, you just gotta attack that "honeydew" list with a determination to get'r done before the mill gets here.  Odds are, you'll be wishing for a couple more days. ;D

If I were younger and shopping for a mill, the 8" WPF with power lift would be my dream mill.  You've made a wise purchase. 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

BigTrev

Your wife has picked an awesome mill Dave, she clearly has a keen eye for big shiney mill toys ;D I,m sure your going to love it. And remember, we love pics. So make sure you have a camera ready when that crate arrives.
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

TinMan

Congradulations!!!! 8)

You have yourself a fine mill coming. Long wait huh? :-\

Thats some wife you have there, dont forget to tell her you love her LOTS!!!!!!! ;D

Good luck man, welcome to the Peterson Club.

Tracy

dredgeslavedave

First I want to thank everyone on the forum for you support. I will try to answer all your questions.

jpgreen the 13hp Honda ATS in the 8" model is just a hair over $10.000 What is wrong with your LT40?

ronwood The ATS stands for All Terrain Sawmill. It is set on two outside tracks that can be moved up or down to get different depth of cuts. It is lighter and slightly more portable than the next step up in Peterson mills. The WPF stands for Winch Production Frame.  The WPF has two tracks that are stationary. The saw frame moves up and down much like a 4 post band mill. The one I ordered I had Peterson's put an electric winch on. This option I think will pay for itself in short order. The best way to check out the Peterson swing blade mills is click the Peterson Portable Sawmills logo to your left. Right between Wood-Mizer and Timberking. In fact check out all the sponsors if you have a free minute. There is a lot of great product just to the left of your screen.

DanG one of the reasons I went with the swingblade mill is because of my age. too old to move them logs around. I can just leave them on the ground and set up around them. The other reason is the size of trees that are on my property. Between 36" and 72" DBH too big for a band mill.

Big Trev I have a digital camera I will need the spend the next month trying to learn to post pictures.
3 Alaskan's and a Grandburg mini mill. The newest addition to the family, Peterson WPF 8 inch with electric raising winch

jpgreen

crtreedude

Now you know why you got it so cheap - it has a drinking problem?  ::)

Many, MANY moons ago when I was young I went to my wife and said, "Honey, I need a computer - this one here will do, but it is $500. She said no, we can't afford it."

A few months later, I found another computer, it was $1,500 and had a lot more features, again no.

Finally, after about a year, I found the right one, $5,000 dollars - a Compaq with dual floppy drives, 640KB of memory and was nearly 8Hz CPU (80186 if I remember correctly), this included the word processing software too - MultiMate (if any of you remember that!) - and she said "Now you are serious - go get it."

We were only making 12,000 a year at the time...

And it launched my software career - to say it paid itself off a few times over is an understatement. A good wife is worth more than gold - sometimes literally.  :)

Dave, I hope you have a similar result with your Peterson. Looks like your wife made you upgrade to a serious working machine - is she going to tail for you?  ;D

I think you made a very good decision on the bigger motor - We have a 20 HP and at times wish for a little more.  :o

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Nova

Nice rig you are getting  ;D.  Mine is on the west coast clearing customs :( .  Think my wait is now in the 3 week time frame smiley_anxious

Nova
...No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care...John Maxwell

jpgreen

Actually, my LT40 would be online right now, but it's snowing like crazy, and I don't have a shop it will fit in to finish it.

I would buy everyone one I could find at the price I paid for mine, in a heartbeat.  No comprimise here..  smiley_beertoast

Jeff Meyer

Dave congrats on the new mill.  If you need anyhting please give me a buzz. 

Thanks,

Jeff Meyer

Peterson West Coast Rep

Thank You Sponsors!