iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a specialty hydraulic clamp

Started by trim4u2nv, July 07, 2009, 01:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trim4u2nv

We are currently looking for a hydraulic clamp with parallel jaws.  It would need to fit on the end of a forklift fork and have quick release fittings.  This would use the sideshift hoses for power.  What we are trying to do is pull boards from the middle of a pack of lumber without cutting the band (for inspection purposes.)  Currently we use a vise grip plier and a chain.   We would like to do this without getting out of the seat of the forklift.   Maybe destaco or some other manufacturer makes this.  Trying not to reinvent the wheel.

beenthere

Real curious why you are inspecting boards from the middle of the pack.

Are these stickered packs?

Middle of the pack:  Are you pulling from the ends, or from the side?

Do you pull the board all the way out, or part way and push it back into the pack?

What species of lumber and what sizes?

Sorry, full of questions here.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

trim4u2nv

We telescope the stick or two out of the pack just by pulling with brute force. Usually these are packs of pre primed finger joint or hardwood moulding.  Mostly stretch wrapped in plastic (easy to break open.)   Seems lately a few suppliers are repackaging damaged inventory as new stock and putting lumber with steel band scars or fork gouges  into the center of lumber packs.   I usually take pictures and reject the load.  Usually they blame the freight company.   One salesman assured us we were buying topshelf and the manufacturer had red tagged every pack as rejects.   Maybe the used car business is getting slow.

trim4u2nv

Here is the best I have been able to find.  This outfit makes robot grippers for industrial robots.

http://www.emiplastics.com/eoat/catalog-pdfs-sprue-grippers/eoat_pp0257_0257.pdf

beenthere

Seems it would be easier/simpler to push a stick out, rather than try to grip one and pull on it. For sure it would be damaged from clamping.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WH_Conley

Seems like I remember a gismo that had jaws and a chain on it to pull pallets out of a truck, nothing automatic, but cheap and simple.
Bill

trim4u2nv

If a unit is on the ground we can push boards out with the forks or a piece of 1x1 clamped to the fork most of the time.  Push too hard and the forks will split or skewer the lumber.  If it is on the back of a trailer or straight truck then all we can do is pull the item out.  We have a pallet puller but it doesn't do well on small mouldings.

woodhick

Not sure but I think Baileys has a gizmo that is marketed for pulling out trees and shrubbery that clamps the small tree and is pulled by a tractor or skidsteer that would probably work for what you are doing.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

woodhick

Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

SPIKER

there are some sheet metal clamps that also grip & pull used to lift sheet stock up from center pos.   these would not easly self release though.   and would probably do a bit of damage to the board...

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!