iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lane Sawyers Favorite mill

Started by butterfingers, July 08, 2008, 09:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butterfingers

Hello everyone
         I recently bought a Lane Sawyers Favorite #1 sawmill. I cannot find any infrmation about it other than that lane sawmills was bought out by Meadows Mills in 2004. If anyone has any information or experince with this mill I would greatly apperciate it. Thanks

jason.weir

You've got a couple things.

1st is a Lane #1 - that is the mill make and model
2nd is the Saywers Favorite - it is a dog and taper device made by Lane and could have been on many different mills

Here is the info on Meadow Mills and Lane from http://www.meadowsmills.com/AboutUs.htm

QuoteOn July 8, 2004 Meadows Mills, Inc. completed the purchase of Lane Equipment Company and Lanetech of Barre, Vermont.  Lane sawmills have been manufactured since 1848.  Lane Equipment and Lanetech are now a division of Meadows Mills, Inc. and operate in North Wilkesboro.

On October 13, 2006 Meadows Mills, Inc completed the sale of Lane Equipment Company and Lanetech Sawmills to Bornemann & Greene of Morrisville, VT.

There is plenty of guys here who know Lane mills I'm sure somebody will pipe up soon. 

What kind of mill is it, a wire rope fed mill or a rack and pinion mill?
Wood or Steel frame?  Condition?  Where are you located?  Condition??

Remember without pitcures it does not exist..

-Jason
Who also has a Lane Mill and Shingle Mill

butterfingers

thanks for the response...the mill is set up on steel and is a cable feed rig. The carrige has been lengthened and it is set up so it can saw 20' wood. The mill appears to be in good shape is under cover, has running GMC V6 gas job power unit and is located in northen maine. I am several miles away from the mill right know but when I get home I will take some pics and post them ASAP Thanks

bandmiller2

Butterfingers welcome,Lane #1 is very common here in the northeast and one of the best.Parts should be no problem.Before you move the mill take many pictures of how everything hooks up and take accurate measurements of the relationship of the husk to the ways[carrage track].I'am in the process of rebuilding and hybredizing a Chase and Lane mill [yep Chase de Lane] don't be surprised if you have some parts that aren't Lane ,old sawyers liked to mix and match. What do you have for a headsaw??I have alot of Lane parts pretty much everything except the feed.You must have the heavy cast iron husk if its not cracked its like bedrock and helps keep everything aligned.keep us posted Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

butterfingers

thanks frank
you will have to forgive me because I am somewhat circular saw illiterate. By husk I assume you mean what I call carrige anyway, if it is, it is indeed cast and quite beefy looking. It appears that one of the headblocks was cracked once and was welded. Weld appears to be done very well, looks good anyway like it was done with nickel rod by someone who had done it before. The headsaw is a 52" give or take I cant remember exactly and is inserted tooth. The blade has been freshly hammered and had new bits put in. It comes with the rest of the box of simmonds bits wich is 50 some and the tool to take the shanks out. I will be sure and take some pics when I get home.

Jeff

Welcome back Butterfingers. The husk is the part of the sawmill framework containing the arbor and arbor support systems.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

butterfingers

ooooo..in that case I am not exactly sure once again I need pictures. I was talking to someone who had helped cut with the mill and he was saying that he helped when they replaced all that babbit style bearings with pillow blocks. Dont know if that helps  ??? thanks

Jeff

Well, that means you wont be needing to learn how to pour babbit bearings.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

There is a circular sawmill handbook that you can download from here:

www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf

It is generic to small circular mills, but may give you information that will help you.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

butterfingers

Thanks beenthere that handbook looks to have a lot of info

sparky

Good luck with your new mill. You can be thankful that you blade uses Simmonds teeth, and not Disston. Disston teeth have been discontinued and are very difficult to find. I have a spare blade for my mill that is Disston and I only intend to use it when I am sawing suspect logs. (I never trust a metal detector to find everything.)

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Congrats  8) 8) 8) 8)  Your the  ;D ;D owner of a soon to be working  piece of History . you cant buy that with a bandmill :D   I want to see some pics . Ill be posting some of my 84model 2# delux meadows manual (in calling all big circular operators) I am about 2 weeks of having it running The 3rd mill Ive built you start with 1  ::). If  You have any questions  ???drop me a line :P                                keep up the good work 8).

reguards Chris McMahon
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bandmiller2

Sparky,not to steal the thread but I too have an old Disston 48" blade I found some new #33 bits and shanks that fit well.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sparky

bandmiller2, I have only 4 spare teeth and 1 holder. I saw new teeth on eBay some time before I discovered I had a Disston blade.

sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

Thank You Sponsors!