iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ideas for carrying saws on a skidder

Started by Hans1, January 18, 2020, 03:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans1

Looking for a way to better carry a saw or preferably 2 on my timber jack skidder. I can put one in the cab but it's awkward to get in and out. My thoughts are a shelf or box on the back of the cab but low enough to not block vision. Thanks in advance. 

BargeMonkey

The next time my jack hits the shop I'm building a blade box, seen how a couple guys have built some nice ones, could fit 2 saws and some little stuff. 

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

You got a place to put something like this ??

I looked at a 230 once. The guy had 2  one foot long pieces of 2X4 with a 1/2" spacer between the ends bolted to the door that he hung his saw in.

gg

krusty

I always found it a good challenge to hold onto it with one hand running and the other hand on the steering valve!  8)

62oliver

Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hans1

Thanks for all the reply's, would love to see a pic of the blade box. Trying to visualize if it is tucked behind the blade or on the front and is something that is dropped off. The picture of the one with a door mount is great but mine doesn't have doors. These posts have also convinced me to make a mount on both of the 4wd tractors. I cut mostly walnut and they are scattered so it helps to keep everything on the machine. Thanks to all this has been a great help.

g_man

Here is a box I have on my small tractor. Holds 2 saws and other stuff.

The bar of one saw lays flat in a space between the bottom and a false bottom. The other you can see.

gg 

thecfarm

I saw a small box welded behind a skidder blade to keep chainsaw gas and oil. Just big enough for two jugs.
For a tractor. I got this idea from billm

And than a place for wrench.

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

Tin Horse

My son built this for the saws 4 or 5 years ago for the ATV. Just plywood but holds 4 saws. It hooks in the mesh easily.
The other stuff is on the floor in a milk crate to my left.

Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

donbj

I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Hans1

The pictures are a great help. Going to try building a box with like gman posted and mount it to the back of the cab of the skidder. It will have the ability for saws to slide in from both sides. The saws are larger so need to make it stout to hold up. Also my smaller tractor has the same loader as above pic and I have never tried to put a saw in the space between the loader and mounting bracket. The small holder for fuel and oil jugs are really cool and may get added to the inside of the blade if we ever bet to a shop. Will try to post pics. Thanks again

DDW_OR

made my own Job Box
added two extra forks to make a tractor pitch fork.

"let the machines do the work"

BargeMonkey

Ask Mainelogger about carrying saws on a skidder 🤣 he got a disfigured 365 in the mail, was riding great on the skidder till I turned the corner and ran it over with the hitch 🤣 

47sawdust

Neighbor carried a chainsaw in the bucket of his tractor when out brush hogging.Rolled the bucket,chainsaw fell out....use your imagination.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

EOTE

I picked up a used construction toolbox on Craigslist and mounted it above my box blade.  Holds two saws, chains, log tongs, fuel, oil, extra chains, protective clothing, etc.

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

snowstorm

he asked about carrying the saw on a skidder. get a under body truck box with a latch and door big enough put a rubber mat on the bottom of it and 1/4" plywood on the inside walls 

47sawdust

was wondering if it would ever return to the op's question.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

RPF2509

I've always liked the vertical carry with a bungie through the handle to keep it from bouncing out.

redneck

Here is how i carry on my skidder.   Can actually fit 2 on the bottom and on on the top.   Outside in back of cab would be better if I removed hooks.

208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

redneck

208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

62oliver

With a skidder I'm leery to have the saw outside the cab, too easy to trash it I think. Tractors on the other hand have many more mounting options and you usually aren't plowing through the bush like a skidder.
I can be a little absentminded at times and having the saw in the cab beside me is better for my saw I figure.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Thank You Sponsors!