iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Everything went wrong

Started by polemidis, January 19, 2020, 07:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polemidis

Have you ever been in a situation that everything goes wrong? I mean everything! Its like someone put a spell of bad luck (and bad choices) on me!

So my 359 husky had some problems 2 weeks ago and I was logging with my spare chainsaw, a 450. Mistake #1
Well, yesterday I stayed late trying to get one last twitch.   Mistake #2
As there was dusk already I drove my skidder a little faster.. Mistake #3
I am back to the landing, release the logs and then home (500ft away), when I realized that the plastic box with the chainsaw I had mounted on the skidder was missing...  (bad luck #1)
I rush back in the forest with my iphone light for torch, and I found the chainsaw in a pot hole, with the handle broken. (lucky??? it was only the handle)
Go home, tired, the family had so much fun that they let the woodstove out! ( I dry my stuff there) (bad luck #2)

So next day I grabbed the 2 chainsaws and took them in a repair shop because I was not been able to fix the 359.
Luckily he had a spare handle for the 450, but the saw had water and mud inside the cylinder...
I spent my morning trying to make it run without luck, (bad luck #3), so decide to leave it for late and run the skidder to the forest where I clear cut, at least to drive over the small stuff (fir mostly) and push some limbs out of the way.  Mistake #4.
I spent a few hours having fun, and on the last trip, 10ft before the clearance, I got stuck. A maple tree on the side between the 2 wheels. A few forwards/backwards and I really got stuck. The skidder slid 90degrees and now I have trees all around!! And without a chainsaw to cut any of them down. (bad luck #4, and mistake #5). I start panicking because I cannot start the skidder below 25F without the block heater, and I have not a generator. What to do, I took the small axe start cutting one of the tree down (stupidly). What, 1 hour and still I am half way... Isnt the chainsaw the greatest invention ever???? 
So I abandon this plan I a thought to try to winch myself out.... Well. The cable was stuck I could not unspool it. I was only able to reach the tree diagonal back at 4 ft. I say ok, it may be helpful. I hooked at that tree, I pulled my self in a little better position, but I couldnt release the winch!! Result? A broken cable! The knot at the end snapped....
So I quit.. Defeated.  I do not care about the cable as it was like a porcupine and curly. I am really annoyed on leaving the skidder back in the forest, annoyed that I had never fixed my ATV to get me back there when I have the chainsaws working. 
And on top of that I got into a fight with my wifey. At least thats the least of my problems! :) :) 

I have to start making more rational decisions... I think thats what experience means. Having done all that mistakes, and decide that next time you will act like an adult who can think, instead of wasting the whole day in stupid avoidable stuff. 
When me works, me works hard.
When me stops to think, me falls asleep.

polemidis

btw what size cable I need on the franklin 132? I am looking on the lighter side I tend to go slow and easy, I only use it on my property (60 acres)

And why the winch is so hard to unspool? It needs to operate a 2-3 times to get easier (but not easy in any way) to spool out. 

dustintheblood

Polemidis, don't beat yourself up.

In the insta-world, everyone posts all the best and brightest of how fricken wonderful their life is.  That's why I like the FF.  It's not all glossy and fake.  Real people doing real stuff.  I don't do Facebook or any other social media stuff for that reason.

Your story is the reality of the woods, and being honest about the chain of events that led to mistakes and breaks.

We have all been there, and despite that - we'll all be there again at some time in the future!
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

brianJ

Yeah Ive had them days when you are further behind come evening than when I started at sunrise.

EOTE

Fortunately with all the mistakes, you are still in one piece.  I would count that as a win!
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

thecfarm

They do snowball at times. Never think I have enough time to do this before.... you fill in the blank.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Sometimes things just pile up like that. I do find that the more things I put off fixing or taking care of until a later date,the more likely it is that it will all catch up with me at once, on one big really bad day.
Too many irons in the fire

Don P

I've had to run over one saw 3 times to kill it, hopped on the knuckleboom and the valves did a passable imitation of King Louis palace fountains as I pulled the levers. Generally one of us will look over about then and deadpan "You'll have some of that on these big jobs" :D

BargeMonkey

Welcome to how it works trying to cut wood. 🤣 you either get numb to it or get smarter. 
 Last time I was home I had 5k in tire issues, put a new chain in the limber, had an issue with that this time home and probably crunched 500 worth of chain. Lost the radiator in my slasher today, all in the fun of cutting wood. 👍

Pine Ridge

You are not alone !!!!!! If we didn't enjoy cutting timber and working in the woods so much it wouldn't be worth all the hard work and headaches. Hang in there, you'll get everything fixed and running again and things will be good.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Corley5

No one was physically hurt.  That's what counts.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Klicker

Look on the bright side of things . It is right side up. and you where able to walk out of the woods. 8)
2006 LT 40 HD

C5C Tree Farmer

Quote from: polemidis on January 19, 2020, 08:02:51 PM
btw what size cable I need on the franklin 132? I am looking on the lighter side I tend to go slow and easy, I only use it on my property (60 acres)

And why the winch is so hard to unspool? It needs to operate a 2-3 times to get easier (but not easy in any way) to spool out.
Here are some choices as far as mainline cable. My own preference was a 100' roll of 9/16" swaged.
https://www.baileysonline.com/forestry-woodcutting/logging-chokers-winchlines/wire-rope-winch-lines.html
I am unfamiliar with what winch came on a 132. I do have a 100xl and if the winch would happen to be the same I could give you some suggestions on yours.

polemidis

Thank you all guys! I really appreciate your comments! I feel blessed!   
I got word back from the chainsaw guy. The saw had quite a few problems thats why I couldnt fix it on my own. But its back in life ready to cut. Now I have to wait for a warm weather in order to fire the skidder up Thursday. looks like its going to be 34F :) 

Quote from: C5C Tree Farmer on January 20, 2020, 09:12:34 PMHere are some choices as far as mainline cable. My own preference was a 100' roll of 9/16" swaged.
https://www.baileysonline.com/forestry-woodcutting/logging-chokers-winchlines/wire-rope-winch-lines.html
I am unfamiliar with what winch came on a 132. I do have a 100xl and if the winch would happen to be the same I could give you some suggestions on yours.
I will get back to you with the winch type or model. The link does not open though. Is it this one for $280 ?

I also figured that now that its a good opportunity to rearrange the chokers. Some are impossible to work with due to bents. Any ideas on how to straighten them up?

C5C Tree Farmer

Sorry about the dead link. The 9/16" swaged mainline was by far the most popular wire rope used by small cable skidder operators cutting aspen pulpwood back in the day. Standard cable rats out pretty fast and likes to flatten against the winch spool.
No real way to straighten a kinked choker that I know of. Sometimes I would switch them end for end on the bells so that the least kinky end was available to push under the wood. 

krusty

ask around to borrow a nice honda EU2000i to warm up the machine. Easy to pull in on a small kids sled.

those days suck, but in the grand scheme of life, you were not injured and that counts for everything.

next time it would be best to take some pics of the stuck machine and post them so we can all have a good chuckle. I know that feeling of how the F one could possibly get a machine stuck between trees!

polemidis

Quote from: krusty on January 22, 2020, 09:47:51 PM
ask around to borrow a nice honda EU2000i to warm up the machine. Easy to pull in on a small kids sled.

those days suck, but in the grand scheme of life, you were not injured and that counts for everything.

next time it would be best to take some pics of the stuck machine and post them so we can all have a good chuckle. I know that feeling of how the F one could possibly get a machine stuck between trees!
Alrighty! Its still stuck, I will take some pics tomorrow :) I just got 1st my chainsaw back today so hopefully I will back in business tomorrow. Its going to be 35F or something. I have spare battery too so I am confident that it will start! About the  broken winch line, I am going to shorten it a bit and make another knot for now, I may have 40ft  left. Which really small, but I will be ok for a few weeks as I am clear cutting. 

Firewoodjoe

On those days I just slow down and forget about production. I call it trials and tribulations of life. 

krusty

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on January 23, 2020, 06:14:11 PM
On those days I just slow down and forget about production. I call it trials and tribulations of life.
Hahahah in my office life, when you take time for more 'training' :P its called professional development 

polemidis

Hey guys! The spell is still in effect. My phone yesterday stopped charging and today looks like its fried. At least I can sent it back for a refund!! ha!  
No pictures of the stuck skidder, but at least I got it back home! It looks like I have 65ft of main line left. So no need to replace it yet. 
Btw my winch is a "Sweed"  30, 030. I checked the oil level and it looks fine. But its viscosity at 35F is like honey. Should it be that thick? I removed the cap on the opposite side of the oil, and I couldn't figure if I could make it easier to unwinch. Anyonw knows how to adjust it?

I also managed to but a knot at the end of the main line, and I let the whole length under tension overnight. I wonder if it will stop being curly tomorrow.

And as a precaution, since the bad luck spell is still strong, I checked the differential oil level..... Guess what... No oil visible, and I actually have a leek on the cap of the wheel! Are these 2 connected?? Argg, I hope I haven't done any damage. Anyone with a manual??? Before it dies in my hands??

C5C Tree Farmer

If your winch uses cable controls I won't be of much assistance as the 100XL has hydraulic controls. On mine I had internal oil leaks that had soaked the brake band and made it tacky.

You may find some helpful advice in this thread:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=69725.0

polemidis

Its with cables yes. I couldnt' figure it out. Thanks anyway! I was wondering how many greasable points are there on the Franklin 132. And how many oil level checks. I am worrying that I have miss some :( 

WV Sawmiller

I have had days like that where everything I touch seems to just fall apart or stop working. Gets so bad I am scared to go pee. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

polemidis

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 24, 2020, 04:49:08 PM
  I have had days like that where everything I touch seems to just fall apart or stop working. Gets so bad I am scared to go pee. :D
hahaha! Its funny that you said it now. Today I discovered that getting relieved from the top of the skidder tire gives you a feeling that you are the "king of the world"
 hahahahahahah

mike_belben

I spent most of my adult life going through days like yours, from one wreck to the next where getting out of bed that week was in hindsight, counter productive.

It took a long time for me to realize that was God's way of saying 'stop depending on you to fix things, and start asking me for help, or we will continue like this until you quit.'

I dont wait long to ask him for help anymore.  And he doesnt take long to answer.  hang in there.  

Sawdust and waste motor oil in an old frying pan makes a good blockheater when you light it on fire under your machine.  Just make sure the flames stay a foot below the belly pan and youve got a stick to reach the pan, plus water/extinguisher etc if it gets out of hand.  

Speaking of which, the S cam on my back left trailer corner "cammed over" last night and lit the brake on fire from dragging, hauling concrete burial boxes out of NC.  Must been interesting for those around me.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!