iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar pitch options on an alaskan

Started by StuBC, December 05, 2005, 11:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StuBC

I am getting ready to out fit my Procut chainsaw mill with a saw.  I have bought a Husky 395 and I am looking at Baileys for a long bar.  Going to go with 42" becaseu that is the bar that the mill is based off of, I have one i am building off of and his 088 runs deadly with that big of a bar. 

Baileys offers a 0.375 and a 0.404 pitch 42" Oregon.  I dont know the difference in performance or matching chains, sharpening etc.  I would like an outfit that is easy(er?) to sharpen and somewhat flexible.  Does my bar pitch contribute to that?  I want to get one of those chain grinders to do the chain sharpening, and I read that rip chain cant be done with one of those.  Is this all tied to the bar and chain choice?

solodan

If you run other saws what pitch are you running? What pitch is you're sprocket on th 395xp? I have smaller saws that I run .375 on, so when I bought a 3120xp I put a .375 sprocket on it. This way I can run all of my chains and all of my bars on any of my saws. Also the kerf is smaller on the 3.75 compared to the .404.

StuBC

I dont really know to be honest.  I have another chain saw, its a Stihl 360 for bucking and falling.  Stock bar and chain, what ever it came with.  This is really new to me.  I dont even know how to tell what pitch it is to look at it or find the markings, I guess I could take it apart to see etchings.  I guess if I make a decision on one set up over the other, I will buy a new sprocket to match it, then its all new and ready. 
My questions are below, this will help me get a better understanding

• Is it sound logic that thin kerf 3.75 is better for milling? 
    Should I be outfitting to be using ripping chain? 
    Does that make me have one pitch over the other for ripping chain?
    Is ripping chain sharpenable with a grinder unit? 

solodan

look on the mounting end of the bar. there are numbers there that will tell you the length in drive links, the gauge, and the pitch . you are probably running .375 pitch .050 gauge. and i'm sorry for the confusion, but the gauge is what determines the kerf not the pitch as I stated in my previous post. just needed to finish my coffee before my brain started working. ;D
yes a ripping chain cuts smother than oter chains because of the low angle.
either .375 pitch/.050 gauge or .404/.063 is all i've seen for ripping chains, but you can file any chain to 10 degrees or less and get the same effect.
sharpening  a rip chain is the same as sharpening any round chisel chain, just different angles.

DonE911

I run .365 50 on with my chainsaw mill. (logosol M7) with an 066, but I've never run a bar longer than 32 inch on it.   

Thank You Sponsors!