iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stump wood id.

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, March 29, 2019, 05:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Same guy that gave me the ash.
He picked up this slice from a wood dump here in MD.

My first guess is maple.
What do you think?

I scraped it with a knife. It had no odor.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

KEC

Looks like Hackberry to me.

KEC

Southside

Bark inclusions and no warts, big growth rings, soft maple.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Latewood pores arranged in wavy bands.  Characteristic of the elm family.  Hackberry is in the elm family.  I am also in the Hackberry Camp. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

That last pic had me thinking American elm, but the bark wasn't working for me.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going with hackberry!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

I would have called elm since that is the only species up here with wavy grain. So hackberry seems equally possible I guess. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodpecker52

Looks like hackberry smooth grey bark and warts.  Around here called sugarberry.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

WDH

Hackberry and sugarberry are considered two separate species, although the differences are so minor that it takes an expert to tell them apart, then on top of that, I suspect that they hybridize.  What distinguishes them apart is so minuscule that they are essential just variation within a single species in my opinion. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!