iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cancelled orders

Started by Ron Wenrich, November 30, 2000, 02:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

I found a reference to what I think you're talking about Charlie, in the Journal of Light Construction,june '01.

The 5 year old softwood lumber agreement between US and Canada has expired at the end of March. NAHB and most builders orgs. are happy and say the agreement added $1000 to the price of homes. They claimed the agreement essentially subsidized large landowners and US lumber co's.

Lumber producers accused the Canadians of  susidized timber and filed suit asking for a 40% tariff.

The NAHB's economist says for the next few months it will just add more volatility to an already volatile market.(he shoulda been a weatherman)

Glad I just bang nails and let those guys try to outguess each other. :-/

L. Wakefield

I know this will step on a few toes, and I apologize. But there is more than 1 way to look at this. 1 way is to acknowledge that the cutting, sawing, and marketing of timber is y'alls bread and butter- and so when the brakes go on , you are hurtin for certain.

Another way is from an ecological standpoint. Much has been made of the fact that in the 'old days' giant trees were around, providing magnificent saw wood, from all reports. Lack of demand seen from this standpoint allows the trees to stay in the living state and hopefully grow and improve in value.

That is, if you can afford to go without cutting and sawing.

This downturn is not helping you- but- it is a potentially good time for investment in woodlands. Get em, hold onto em. If you can outlast the downturn, your investment will have increased in value by a natural, organic means. No investment in internet technology stocks, or any other type of stock. Just real life.

But going hungry is also real life. I guess a lot depends on whether or not your mill is already paid for- and how much debt you are shouldering from other sources. IF you were sitting pretty there and invested in the market- I say it's time to get out of there and back into the woods.

Am I nuts, or what? ::)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

timberbeast

You're not nuts,  and you didn't step on my toes,  LW.  Seems where I cut,  pulp is bringing a lot of interest now.  Demand for Cedar is down,  but prices are up.  195/cord for 7 inch stuff.  95/cord for 3 inch posts......so I mill the bigger stuff I cut and sell the tops.  But I'm small time.  I cut on my own land,  and there are places I won't cut,  just because I like them the way they are.  I'll never be rich,  but I get by.  If I can't buy something,  I make it.  Or my wife does.  Don't stop expressing your opinion,  it's valued!
Where the heck is my axe???

Thank You Sponsors!