iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV recommendations?

Started by Ljohnsaw, November 24, 2012, 01:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

I have a 98 350 Yamaha Wolverine, full time 4wd a bit hard to handle but good for visitors, a 99 400 Yamaha Big Bear which is my work buggie. Put some big racks on it and a winch. I doubt I would put another winch on one as it really drags the battery down. I also have a 2003 Honda Foreman. Brakes suck on this one. Drum brakes and red clay mud don't seem to like each other. Wish they were disc.

All 3 are power houses. I treat them like a red headed Step son with no mercy but they all perform very well. A friend has a Polaris and seems to replace the belt a lot doing the same work as I do.

I personally don't think I would ever need anything bigger than a 500.

I bought all 3 used. Big Bear has 6k miles on it still going strong.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

snowstorm

just saw an ad for a new 2013 polaris sportsman500 $5600. i have 2 of them both have been trouble free. mine are 04's. polaris was the first to come up with a cvt that really worked. back in the 70's for there snowmobiles. the 500cc motor was made by fuji... subaru nice motor. flip the switch on the 4x4 and all 4 wheels have power

Ljohnsaw

Does anyone use a snow plow (or even a bucket) on theirs?  Wondering how those perform, if they are worth the effort/expense.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

davch00

I would go with the Grizzly 550. I have a Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 and I love it. At the time it was the perfect atv for me. Sporty enough to play but still have 4x4..but have I known just a few month after I bought it I would buy some ground in the Ozarks I would gotten a utility atv.

Yamaha's engine braking is hands down the best. I've been on some fairly steep hills and actually have to give the 4-wheeler gas to keep from going to slow. I know a few people that have Rhinos and Grizzlys and they are the same way.

If I remember correctly the Grizzly is rated to tow more than the Rhino is. Some have already mentioned it but towing with a Atv becomes more about weight than power.

Anyways that is my 2 pennies worth..I also recommend finding a few people that have the models that you are interested in and take them for a test ride.

And oh the reason I say the 550 over the 700 is the 550 is the same size physically and will do everything the 700 will but maybe not quite as fast as the 700.

chevytaHOE5674

I have a plow on my little suzuki 250 and use it to clear next to doors and such around the farm when the snow isn't too deep. It will move quite a bit of snow if you have the time to do it (narrow and short plow takes forever). Reason I use it over my pickup is the visibility of the blade is great so you can see how close you are to things, and the maneuverability is outstanding, so i will clear around things (doors, gates, hay stack, etc) with it then jump in the pickup to clear the rest of the yard and driveways. 

thecfarm

My step son plows about a 300 foot driveway with his ATV. I think a Grizzly something. Works better if you can go out a few times each storm. REALLY have to move back the snow to have enough room for the winter. Can't plow like a truck,but as long as you don't take the full width of the blade with a foot of snow it does fine. Just like a manual mill,it will do it,just takes longer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bobus2003

I just Up-Graded my Quad.. I had a '06 Kawasaki Brute Force 650 4x4 Solid Rear axle.. Had 5K miles on it and it was beat on all those miles and all i ever did was put a Belt in it at just over 2000 miles. Since it was such a good machine i had to get another so i got a 2013 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 Fuel Injected 4x4, Indapendant rear suspention. Paid $5200 Out the door.. Thing has plenty of power for work or play..now i want some snow and test the new plow

shinnlinger

I'm late to this party but Im going to suggest you get a used tractor instead with a FEL for the 8 grand or whatever you were willing to spend.  My father has a Yamaha grizzly 400 and he does some work with it, but it is too light and flimsy to do anything more than plow a few inches of snow or drag more than a log AND it is absolutely no fun to drive at all.  My Kubota in high gear will give you more of a thrill than that quad and the kubota will do a heck of a lot more work.   KBB on my rig is only about 6k to boot so you could spend the other 2k on a cushman golf cart or a used raptor or dirt bike to fit the fun part.   

Would a dented/rusted late model 4x4 mini truck fit the bill?  also google Kei truck and see if you like those.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: shinnlinger on December 05, 2012, 09:23:28 PM
<<snip>>
Would a dented/rusted late model 4x4 mini truck fit the bill?  also google Kei truck and see if you like those.

Lots of great ideas from you all.  I think I've decided I don't need the bigger models (big engines but no weight to make use of it).  I'm leaning toward a 450 or 550 Grizzly.  The idea of full diff-lock seems right for my steep property.

I'm just working on a 10 acre parcel (pretty steep in places) that I'm going to build a little timber frame cabin and a garage/workshop.  The area is near many lakes so I would keep my boat there for the summer.

I'm just doing hobby milling for the cabin, not a business.  Efficiency is not a priority.  The big problem is, I'm in California - land of inflated prices! :o  A mid-sized, well used Kubota would set me back at least $15k, an "ok" backhoe (if I wanted to use it for foundation work) would be about the same. (I've looked)  What I'm looking for is something for fun (aka a Quad), something to maybe move some snow so I can get to my cabin (or at least get my truck off the road) and potentially move some logs (with a log arch) - which I've seen examples posted here.

The thought of a thrashed (but not trashed) 4x4 crossed my mind.  I could put a plow on it and also use it for hauling logs - but I'm still short a Quad ::)  There are miles of back roads to ride the quad in the area that I think my son and I would love to explore once we get the cabin done.

Its not so much the money spent on a tractor and a quad, its that I don't think I'd use a tractor all that much (too steep).  I had an old Case farm tractor on my ranch.  Loved it, used it all the time, always found ways to do more because I had it - but that was flat land.  The little bit of hill I had was pretty scary on that tractor.  I agree a tractor in high gear IS a thrill!  :o :o  I put my old Case into 4-high every now and then and it gets a movin' and a bouncin' :o :D  To make it even more fun, it didn't have brakes - just throttled down.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

jamesconley1962

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 29, 2012, 02:28:25 AM
Does anyone use a snow plow (or even a bucket) on theirs?  Wondering how those perform, if they are worth the effort/expense.

John
     I have a 1999 Yamaha 600 4X4 Grizzly I bought used from the dealer.  I then had a high end plough added that is adjustable (left to right) with a pin and a higher end wench. This set up was around $1000.00 extra installed. It attaches and detaches with 2 pines on the under carriage, very user friendly.  I bought the plough with the full intentions of using it on my driveway instead of paying some one to plough it for me.  I bought a set of chains for the rear wheels at cabalas.  They were around $50.00.  I live in Northern Michigan where it gets a lot of lake effect snow, as long as you stay on top of it and keep your area wide so you have a place to put the snow, it works great.  Lots of people here use 300 cc 4X4 with manual ploughs and are very happy.  My 2 cents.  I do sometime get stuck but I really enjoy doing it.

Thank You Sponsors!