iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TJ240A vs JD540B

Started by Maine logger88, January 02, 2015, 06:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

I know where there is a 240A with a 453 with decent tires and ok chains that I could probably trade my 540B for and I'm contemplating doing it. My 540 has kinda crappy tires but real good chains and will need the Trans freshened up sometime in the future. There is things about deere I like and things about jacks I like so it's kind of a trade off there I guess. On one hand I do know what my 540 is and what it will need and I don't on the 240. Has anyone run them side by side to see which one pulls better? I know the 540 is a lot faster machine but if a 240 would pull more it might make up the difference? I have been told that certain Trans parts are getting hard to come by for the 540 so that kinda worries me. With a std Trans at least you can always have gears made if in the future they get hard to get parts for. Just a lot of questions I've been pondering lol
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

cutter88

I know it boils down to person preference BUT nothing runs like a Deere :) if if were me I'd keep the 540 there a darn good skidder and as far as the tranny once it's refreshed it will last a loooooong time again :)
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Woodhauler

Have you got either of your skidders fixed? You still renting fowlers?? If you can trade a non running one for a working one do it!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

ehp

had a couple 540's , this is just me and my way of thinking so take it for whats its worth, the 240 if the 453 is any good is a easy skidder to keep running and parts are quite cheap . The 540 parts are costly at best and I donot like that tranny design , up north it seem to be about 6500 hours and you had to rebuild the tranny and that cost alot even if you did the job yourself , if you had the dealer do it then it went to Oh My God in price . Last 640 we had they wanted $19,000 to rebuild the tranny , we scrapped the skidder and sold it for parts in the USA and can out ok in the end. Not saying the 240 will out skid the 540 but as long as the 240 is not beat to death I would think your skidding cost should be lower over the year . I see no reason why the 240 should not be as fast as the 540 either , the 240 has lots of gears and if you can hang on it will go alot faster than I would want down the trail

barbender

I may be a bit fickle, but I'd keep the Deere just so I wouldn't have to listen to a Detroit all day.
Too many irons in the fire

timberjackrob

had a 440 once two jacks after that I like the timberjacks cause they are simple and easier to work on when needed not as user friendly as a deere but I just like the jacks and never really had any trouble outta the detroits either.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Maine logger88

Quote from: Woodhauler on January 02, 2015, 07:07:53 PM
Have you got either of your skidders fixed? You still renting fowlers?? If you can trade a non running one for a working one do it!
I have my Jack going now I stopped renting one of fowlers Clark's about 3 weeks ago. I believe I would have to put a clutch in the 540 before the trade so it's all up and running

Maine logger88

Thanks for the replys I will take note and make my decision I'm not gonna rush into anything as I can work what I have anyway but just trying to figure out if it would be an upgrade or not. As far as the Detroit I don't mind them too bad but if it ever had trouble I would put either a 4bt or 4045t in its place

celliott

Is there any merit to having two timberjacks instead of a jack and a deere? 225 and 240. Thinking parts, repairs, etc. all similar.
Something else to ponder   :)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Maine logger88

That is true but I am not sure how many parts would interchange between the older 225 and the 240. If they did that would be handy tho!

coxy

Quote from: Maine logger88 on January 02, 2015, 10:25:47 PM
That is true but I am not sure how many parts would interchange between the older 225 and the 240. If they did that would be handy tho!
very few parts will be the same the jacks are easy and cheap to get parts for i would have one in a heart beat but just cant get my little brain to get use to all the leavers meaning blade -steering and winch all in a row ran a 240a  a few days what a pain in the butt would have to put some kind of a steering wheel on it  :D :D

David-L

I am partial to Timberjacks as I beleive they are the most economical older machine to run in the woods. Getting on the 540 all day compared to the jack has alot to be said for at the end of the day. The levers come naturally after some use. I went from two A series back to the D series and the blade lift was opposite on the D and that was a weeks worth of digging dirt at the landing before I got adjusted to it. Good luck.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

loggah

The Timberjack is easier to work on,cheaper to get parts for, a lot more stable on steep ground, and a heck of a lot easier for a big guy to get in and out of!!!! The downfall is the noisy  Detroit. If you could graft the JD motor into the timberjack you would be real happy !!!!!! ;D ;D 6'4" and 280 i get claustraphobic in a JD !!!!!!
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

thumper

my 2 cents! obviously both are great machines. the 540 should turn tighter and scuff less ground. the 240 seems to take acres to turn. bad part is the detroit.. even GOOD parts for them are getting to be hard to get. i also like autos a steering wheel and a safer (centered) feel in the cab of jd.  i always felt like id roll rite out of the tj . :laugh:
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

Maine logger88

Thanks for the opinions guys! I'm gonna call the guy Tomorrow and get a little info on the machine then go try it out before I make my decision.

Maine logger88

I'd really like to see them side by side pulling the same size hitch I'm curious if they will pull about the same or not?

Thank You Sponsors!