iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mayflower

Started by currantvt, December 26, 2014, 07:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

currantvt

I thought  this was interesting, They are building a replica of the Mayflower in Harwich UK where the original was built ,hoping to sail it over on the 400th anniversary. http://www.harwichmayflower.com/ship-build/

Ron Wenrich

They have built a replica of a Spanish galleon.  I was on it back in August.  The shell was about the only thing that was authentic.  The interior was pretty much like a regular boat.  The masts weren't a single tree, as it was in the original.  It was a piece of engineered wood.  And they used a lot of modern technology to put it together.  It is basically a fiberglass hull clad in wood.  I was hoping to see all sorts of old type woodworking and joinery, but that wasn't the case.  They did have some joinery, but it was minimal, in my opinion.  It was still an interesting tour.

I was also on a tour of a ship in the San Francisco bay.  It was with the US Park Service, and the ship was built in Scotland in the 1880s.  They had a gal give the tour, and her knowledge of the ship was pretty good.  Unfortunately, her wood ID skills weren't.  The ship was still authentic, and was taken out of service in the 1920s after running freight on both the East and West Coasts.  It made a lot of runs from Seattle to Alaska.

She took us to the captain's quarters.  They were much more lavish then crew quarters.  She noted the cabinetry that was made from what she said was bird's eye maple and mahogany.  The mahogany was quartersawn white oak.  I corrected her, and she had me give her some more wood ID and thoughts on types of wood.  She thought the masts were from Doug fir.  I pointed out that since the ship was made in Scotland, it would have been extremely hard and expensive to get it from the West Coast to Scotland in the 1880s. 

I have always marveled at the old time engineering.  I've been in the Panama Canal, which still works after all these years and runs on gravity fed water.  I've been in water powered grist mills and the thought and engineering is tremendous for a structure that was built in nearly every town.  I want to get to some of those Gothic churches in Europe. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

GDinMaine

Wondering when they will build a replica of Leif Ericson's boat. The 900-year-anniversary of his journey to this continet should be coming up soon.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Roxie

This is a fascinating subject.  One of my favorite books, "Blue Latitudes" written by Tony Horwitz, who followed the journey of Captain Cook in a replicated Endeavour.
Say when

Texas Ranger

Ron Wenrich, there is a civil war union gun boat display at Neches, Mississippi, it was brought up in tact from the Yazoo River.  Still had all artifacts on board when it  sunk.  A revolver that was still mechanically functional, rubber boots (gum boots) and medicines.  The wood work is very visible.  It was a coal fired stern wheeler, if I remember correctly, had coal in the bunkers.   The woodwork was very good, after  a hundred some odd years under water.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

TR
Is this USS Cairo Gunboat article the one you refer to? Or a different one?

http://www.nps.gov/vick/u-s-s-cairo-gunboat.htm
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Yup, I was thinking that it was the USS Cairo which is displayed in Vicksburg rather then Natchez.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chain

There's a Mayflower Cafe in Jackson, Ms., I reckon this is relevant as one of the more great dishes is blackened red fish; plus, their famous "come back" sauce.

What is so unusual about that place is the location of restrooms. We were eating there with my daughter's family a few years ago. I had to use the restroom, my daughter said, "Dad, I'm going to have to go with you because it's outside and up a long stairways." We had to knock on the kitchen door upon one of the cooks brought the restroom keys up the stairwell, unlocks the door; all parties awaiting the completion of my business, then locking back up and down the stairs, on to the street, and back in the cafe! ???

Texas Ranger

yep, y'all got me on that one, Vicksburg

Texas Ranger

by the looks of the pictures on beentheres post, they have done a bunch of restoration since we were there

Thank You Sponsors!