Whatcha Sawin' 2024 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2023, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluidpowerpro

Yes, everything I build is a prototype.

Here are some pix.

To describe a bit.
Its 2 rectangular steel blocks.
One is welded to an angle iron to facilitate mounting into a vice.
The other is movable allows me to adjust the gap on the rollers.
The T handle bolt pushes on the movable block to adjust the gap.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

barbender

If you have an android phone you can edit your picture in your phone gallery. It will give you options of 20, 40, 60, 80% to resize to. 60% usually works for me.
Too many irons in the fire

fluidpowerpro

Thank you. I will explore that.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Peter Drouin

Thanks. I think I went with too thin of steel 1/4" or less. I was getting flex in the base plate. I have some 3/8"---1/2" around flat stock I will add to the bottom.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Wlmedley

Sawed a poplar log I had on deck that was old enough that the bark was coming off pretty easily so I peeled it.Wasn't sure it would still be good but it made some pretty good sheeting although I had to turn it several times to release tension. I'm getting a little better but not any faster. forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=om/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=[/url][/url]
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

WV Sawmiller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF71Q7Wz5B8

I asked twice who the girls were but never got an answer so I am assuming it is the 2 young ladies in the above video. If not, please feel free to correct me. They are very attractive and if they got an LT70 and are speeding up their sawing I am happy for them because if they saw any slower than they did in this video the next seedling will grow into a sawlog before they finish sawing this log. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Howard, I posted a video on about #439 post.  Might be off by one as I look in reverse order.  they seem like nice kids, but the one cannot say log yard very fast. ffsmiley
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

Thanks. I missed the railroad tie. Does not look like the same 2 girls as this looked like a middle age lady instead of the 2 blondes. They may be her daughters. I know the girls in the video I posted never turned a heavy log/cant on their own.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

Those are bad. Way too fat to show off in those outfits. But sex sells, so guess they will go for it. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

Those aren't the sisters we've been talking about, that are part of a family sawing operation. They dress decent, unlike the spandex twins in Howard's link.

chet

Howard, that was da ultimate in spandex sawmill videos  ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy  
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

SawyerTed

Emerald and Jade are the young ladies who are part of the family business, Lumber Capital Log Yard.

They aren't fast at sawing in their videos -remember slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

barbender

Howard- "here's those nice young ladies y'all been talkin' 'bout!" 😁😂

barbender

Someone made a parody with that spandex gal that was pretty rich, I'd link it but it's a TikTok and it doesn't work.

doc henderson

Jade and Emerald seem like decent folk.  Home schooled. they do or did competitive dance.  they seem like they actually work there.  Younger brother Judah does mostly firewood.  I do not know how much support they get for the videos but some of the slow is talking and making a point to take a drink of coffee.  The grandpa does the mechanical and maint. work.  they at least show family meals with three generations.  the dad does the bigger logging with a skidder.  They recently did a rebuild with a new engine.  No big drama, other than now they occasionally break into a dance.  Prob to get likes and followers.  The mom works there as well.  you can tell they all actually work and are not just putting lipstick on a pig.  A little more "hippish" rather than red neck.  I made a comment recently with the new mill recommending the grandpa look at @YellowHammer mill mod. for the drag back.  I got a response from someone I had not heard of.  It must be an online coordinator.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

chet

It surprises me that they haven't gotten a reality TV show offer.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: barbender on April 02, 2024, 07:59:16 AMHoward- "here's those nice young ladies y'all been talkin' 'bout!" 😁😂
Where?
Howard Green

doc henderson

looks like from the post it was tik Tok and it did not work to post it.  their business is called lumber capitol log yard.  Emerald (red hair) has a strong PA accent and slows her speech on Log Yard.  they have tons of you tube stuff.  They are the ones from my video.  I assume.  they wear Carhart not spandex. 

doc henderson

We started out not wanting to say their name, as it is like advertising for them.  but now you barely need to even watch the videos.  ffsmiley

barbender

That was tongue in cheek. We were all talking about the Luumber Capitol videos, with the nice young ladies in Carharts. Howard came along and posted a video of a couple of spandex queens, thinking that he found the girls we were talking about. 

WV Sawmiller

I did a search and found several videos of Emerald and Jade. They are light years ahead of the spandex queens when it comes to sawing. Wearing jeans and flannel shirts or shorts and work shirts which seem much more appropriate for the work. I am surprised I am not seeming them wearing gloves for the most part. 
Howard Green

Andries

Like Howard, scanning YT for sawmill info and ideas is much better than turning into a mental vegetable by watching Netflix.
Well, ok. . . maybe a little less of a vegetable.
Do you guys find that there seems to be three broad categories of this content?
- The "Entry Level" footage that manufacturers publish, so that the new folks can get an easy start and brag about their stack of lumber to the family. It's got that justify the purchase tone.
- The "Click Bait" content that has one purpose only. To get you to give a thumbs up, comment and subscribe. If it takes nubile cleavage and spandex to do it, well, then that's what they'll do. Entertainment, yes. Informative, nope not for this wood butcher. They're in it for the money, honey.
The gals at Lumber Capital operate at the higher end of this grouping, but the yoga poses and dance moves pretty much lock em into the eye-candy category.
- My personal opinion: the very best "Masters Level" YouTube series, for stay-at-home millers, are put up by our very own @YellowHammer. The David Letterman of band sawmill YouTubers. Young Robert has found his on-screen voice, which is detailed and logical while being humorous at his own expense. "Well, I probably solved your insomnia problem with this video." Another personal preference; @PAmizerman has really good workflow videos that show how a single person can process lumber without breaking their back. Funny, I've never heard him say a single word on a video, he's similar to Jimmy DiResta that way.
There's a bunch of FF members that produce great video content. All of them contribute to the collection of skills and knowledge required to remove the sawdust from between high quality lumber.
The ones that appeal to each of us probably relate to where we are - looking to make ourselves better sawyers.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Wlmedley

Still sawing poplar and I learned a little trick.Some probably already do this but I'm a slow learner.I pull each board off as I saw it mostly because I don't like cranking head up and down.Blade drags some sawdust off when pulling head back but not all so I started running blade at slow speed while dragging back and found it cleaned all sawdust off.Nothing spectacular but I like it.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Wlmedley

Another small stack of boards 

Wlmedley

Thank You Sponsors!