iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Month in a Little Village by the Sea

Started by SawyerTed, June 26, 2020, 07:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom King

Enjoying, and appreciating your posting this, including the pictures!!!

Are any of the old, hexagonal fish camp buildings left?  I think they were just South of those "newer" ones now with feet in the water.  We used to stay in the old ones.

SawyerTed

Moose, becoming a VIP opens all kinds of doors.  Sounds like your Dad figured out a great arrangement.

Over the last three years I've learned there are all variety of volunteering opportunities with state and federal agencies. Recreation areas managed by the Army Corps of Engineers, the US Fish and Wildlife, Bureau of Land Management, National Forests and National Parks offer volunteer opportunities.  Many provide housing.  Just in Cape Lookout National Seashore there are outdoor opportunities, like ours, and indoor assignments (Air Conditioned). Some opportunities are short term, for a long weekend, and some require a 6 week commitment.  

Some places are desperate for volunteers while others have a waiting list. 

If any are interested, go to the website for the location you are interested in and look for the menu item "Get Involved".  The volunteer opportunities are listed there. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SawyerTed

Tom the old ones were replaced with more modern ones several years ago.  The hexagonal ones were heavily damaged by a hurricane- maybe Isabel but I'm not certain which one it was. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Stephen1

Thanks for the postings, looks like a great way to spend a month on the oean front.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SwampDonkey

Looks like great times. :) Nice fishing, boating and enjoying the scenery.

We have a different speckled trout up here, a brook trout. But every so many eggs there is a missing gene and the trout is more silver and runs to the sea for 3 years and then up river in the summers where it looses it's silver appearance and spawns. They call them 'salter' brook trout in New England and New York. We call them "sea run" up here. There is a small stream near here that rears brook trout to release in fall. Our government doesn't do any hatcheries and hasn't for 30 years.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SawyerTed

Our days off are Sunday and Monday each week.  We stay in Ocracoke on our days off.

We went to the beach today.... 

The beach was as deserted as the road to the beach!

SawyerTed

So this week has been HOT!   Did I say 🥵 hot and humid.  A couple of days have been still and humid with heat index above 100.

We cut some grass and did some trimming around the buildings and cemeteries.   

Today we had a family visit.  The couple in their 70's got married in the church in the village 43 years ago in November.  They told the funniest story about how they got here and the preacher they brought with them.

We have a bear on the island.  It has been roaming and "tasting" things.  It tasted the seat of one of our ATVs and the siding on one of the houses!

Nebraska

Sounds like a bear that would taste good itself, since it seems to lack manners.

WDH

I bet that is a very hard place for a bear to make a living.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerTed

Quote from: Nebraska on July 17, 2020, 06:52:20 PM
Sounds like a bear that would taste good itself, since it seems to lack manners.
I'm thinking it's living on fiddler crabs and other scavenged stuff.   If a bear is what it eats, I wonder if this one would taste good.  

Don P

Doubt there is such a thing :D. I'd bet he does have a rather tough life. At one time, years ago, someone said there are as many bears in the Dismal as in the Shenandoahs, I never would have thought that.

Don P

samandothers

I was also wondering if you had left prior to storm.  We'll prior to storm evacuation.

We don't need live video of seam busting buildings.

SawyerTed

So we are getting ready for another tour of duty as volunteers at Cape Lookout National Seashore.  This will be our 5th year.  

We put our travel trailer on Harkers Island at the Cape Lookout HQ.  There are about a dozen RV pads where volunteers can stay.  We will only stay here on our "weekends" (Sunday and Monday).  We come here to resupply, rest and do laundry.  

I'll head home tomorrow to bring my boat down on Sunday. Portsmouth Village is only accessible by boat.  We choose to use our boat but there's a small passenger ferry service out of Ocracoke that most volunteers and visitors use.  Other visitors come by private boat.

We will catch a vehicle ferry from Cedar Island on Monday that will take our truck and boat to Ocracoke.  From Ocracoke it is about 5 miles across the back side of the inlet to Portsmouth.  

We leave our car at Cedar island and keep our truck and boat trailer on Ocracoke. That way we can walk on the ferry for the next few weekends.  

Our duties on Portsmouth are to greet visitors, tell them about the Village and historic buildings, sweep out the buildings daily, assist in visitor safety, respond in emergencies and do some light maintenance.  In exchange we get to live on the island free of charge.  Our RV site is free as are laundry facilities.  All that equals a free 6 weeks at the coast.  I get to fish everyday, we kayak, we go to the beach.  Most times we are the only people on a 5 mile stretch of beach.  Emily gets to collect shells and sand dollars.  

This year the challenge is fuel costs.  The last two Covid-19 was a factor and will be a bit of one this year.

This is the Portsmouth Post Office and General Store.  It has recently been painted and repaired (post hurricane Dorian).  

red

Sounds like a plot to a Nicholas Sparks book 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

SwampDonkey

Looks like a good time to look forward to each year. smiley_thumbsup
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen1

I remember when you posted about it a few years ago. We didn't hear from you for a bit and I figured you were living the beach bum life. 
That looks like a great summer treat. Enjoy!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerTed

Here's a map of the various locations

HI - Harkers Island where the Cape Lookout HQ is located.  It's where the Volunteer RV "village" is and where our camper is. 

CI - Cedar Island where the vehicle ferry departs for Ocracoke

O- Ocracoke a little seaside village of its own with about 900 permanent residents but probably 5 or 6 times that during the high season. 

PV - Portsmouth Village where we volunteer - 20 or so historic buildings and the northern most part of Cape Lookout National Seashore. 

HI to CI is about 35 miles.  

The ferry trip is 2.5 hours and around 28 miles.  It isn't a straight route because of shoals that necessarily have to be avoided. 

O to PV is about 5 miles.  

Why not run my boat from CI to PV?  Three issues make that more difficult.  First weather could make the trip difficult. Second security if my truck and trailer is a real problem.  Third and most is ease of evacuation via Ocracoke. 

Magicman

Thanks for the map.  I now see why WDH is jealous.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I have spent much time in that area, mostly the next island north, Hatteras Island, where I have gone to surf fish for a week each Fall for the last 36 years.  Probably the best surf fishing spot in North America. 

SawyerTed

The surf fishing is world class anywhere from Shakleford Banks to Carova Beach and Hatteras is certainly the gem.  I'm partial to Portsmouth, of course, but the conditions are primitive in comparison. 

Here is the camper setup and our uniform shirts hanging on the line after being treated with Permethrin.  The insects are one of the challenges we have at Portsmouth.  Because the vegetation and composition of the marshes (increasing) the mosquitoes, green head biting flies and deer flies can make visit miserable for the under prepared.  

thecfarm

Sounds like you will have a good time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerTed

Here is a short video from Portsmouth's Haulover Dock.  This is my first YouTube video ever (be gentle)! :D

https://youtu.be/pFq7c8AnN_o

Hilltop366

Nice and steady, well done.

That looks like a long dock, is that for lots of "parking" or is there lots of tide/shallow?

Thank You Sponsors!