iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a new chipper!

Started by WoodChucker, July 25, 2003, 09:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodChucker

Been needing a chipper for a long time, so I broke down and bought one.  This thing is so cool, it will eat a 6" log like a pretzel.  Not that I will be feeding it that size logs, anything over 3" is firewood, but it's sure nice to have that much power.

It's a Befco chipper and runs off the PTO on the tractor. Just cleaned up the yard and a few spots near by in the woods (tree tops) today and it made a pile of chips 4' high and 6' long in about 30 minutes.

I plan on using the chips on the trails that run through my property, it looks really nice and helps keep the weeds down.

Sorry about the gloat, I know it doesn't have anything to do with saw milling but I thought maybe a few of you might be interested or thinking about getting one.  Heres a pic of it:

http://www.thewoodchucker.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/chipper2.jpg

If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Tom

I'm still wanting one :-/
what a little slab eater ;D

smwwoody

What size chip does it make?
Are  they a maketable chip?
Where did you get it?
What does it cost?

I WANT ONE  :o :o :o
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Mark M

Hi WoodChucker

How does it do on pretzels, and why would you want to chip them? I like mine with beer :D

I'll bet that will come in handy. It's a pretty color too!

Mark

shopteacher

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

Guy we saw for at the camp, has a commercial chipper. I said, "lets run those slabs through" (Pine). He said he didn't want to get into that. He just burns 'em. ::) ??? ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

WoodChucker

Thanks guys,

smwwoody, it cost $4900.00, I looked at some for about half that price but they didn't seem like they would hold up long, this one is really heavy duty. I couldn't tell you if the chips are marketable or not because I don't know what makes a marketable chip. I got it from a local dealer in Alpena Mi. I'll post a pic (below) of a chip pile.

About 2 years ago, before I got into saw milling, I hired a logging company here in Michigan to take out some trees for me. I really got taken as far as the mess they made and the poor condition they left my roads in. They are one of the biggest outfits in the state (if not the biggest), just goes to show bigger is not always better. But anyway, this is why I'm stuck cleaning up my property myself.

http://www.thewoodchucker.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/woodchips1.jpg
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Frank_Pender

It is always nice to get a new toy.  Good for you, Woodchucker.  Now you will learn how much wood a woodchuck can chuck. 8)  What size of tractor are you using.  I have a Valby Model 150 and run it with a John Deere 5300, 50 horse.
Frank Pender

Buzz-sawyer

I have a slab mountain that needs to meet a nice grinder like that the chips look like they are small....more like a grind than the chippers I have run...I emailed you at your web site also ....nice one!
Don ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

WoodChucker

Thanks Frank_Pender, if only a woodchuck could chuck wood.  ;D

I just got a New Holland 40hp, it's not the biggest tractor but it really does a good job for my needs, and it's sexy!  ;D

Thanks Buzz-sawyer, I didn't get your email yet but it's been slow today for some reason.

Ed_K

Do you have a power feed on your befco? I bought one made in Canada (Remore's) not spelled right. Its a good chipper, but needs a power feed.
 Ed K
Ed K

dail_h

# 1 Boiler fuel GOOOOOOD !!!!!! Power feed ,or assisting hand feed will give bigger chips.
   Neat machine,like everybody else,I'm jeslous and glad for you
                     KOOL
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

WoodChucker

Ed_K, I'm not sure what you mean by a power feed, mine runs off the pto of the tractor but I'm guessing thats not what your talking about. Can you explain? Thanks!

Thanks dail_h

R.T.

D._Frederick

WoodChucker,
With a power feed chipper, there are rolls that are power driven  that feed the material into the cutting knives. A hand feed, you push each limb into the knives.

WoodChucker

Oh ok, then I have the power feed, thanks for explaining that to me. :)

R.T.

Thank You Sponsors!