iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Southern guys

Started by fishfighter, April 13, 2015, 06:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

Woodland is selling the Lenox   144″ x 1.25″ x 0.042″  Blades, 10 to a box for $225 plus shipping. Problem is they sell only 10 degree.

I will be building a set tool once I get back out the hospital and I might give it a try to reset a new blade to 7 degrees, resharpen  it to see if that will cut Oak better. I still have three or four blades left. Or just do a dull one.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: fishfighter on April 14, 2015, 08:44:56 PM
Woodland is selling the Lenox   144″ x 1.25″ x 0.042″  Blades, 10 to a box for $225 plus shipping. Problem is they sell only 10 degree.

I will be building a set tool once I get back out the hospital and I might give it a try to reset a new blade to 7 degrees, resharpen  it to see if that will cut Oak better. I still have three or four blades left. Or just do a dull one.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think you've got things mixed up a bit.  Set on a blade is how much the tooth/teeth are bent out from the primary plane of the blade whereas the degrees, such as 7 degrees is the hook angle, the angle of the front of the blade tooth. You would need to grind the blade with the appropriate cam to change the hook angle.

Course, I may not have it right myself...

Herb

Magicman

Correct Herb.  I though that I had an illustration somewhere, but I can't use it if I can't find it.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

I though it was the tilt of the blade tip. No biggie. ;D

That woodland sharpener cuts at 7, 10 and 14. All one has to do is grind the stone to the right setting.

Oh, MM, the New Orleans area got flooded today. On the job, you might need to hold off.

Dave Shepard

Magicman, I just found an email from the last order of blades. A box of ten was $250. I ordered four B57s, two CAT filters and two LubeMizer nozzles, and the shipping was $41.81, so I don't know how much it would have been just to ship the blades. I think the FedEx prepaid is usually around $14.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

OK, I misread your Reply #22.  I was assuming that you were on the blade replacement program with Resharp.  I pay $21 each when one is rejected.  Also the .055 blades might be more expensive than the .045.

We prove once again that sawmilling is not a "one size fits all".  We have all tuned out business profiles to meet our individual markets.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tmarch

It takes me 15 minutes to sharpen a band, about that to set a band so 2 bands an hour = $40.00 to $50.00 saved over sending them out.  I when the weather isn't right to saw so figure it's a fair payday if I do 10 or more. ;D
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

fishfighter

As far as time wise, I'm retired. So, if it came to sharpen my own blades, any monies I save is a plus.

xlogger

It cost me about one Bud Light per blade to sharpen ;D. I only try to sharpen a few a night.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

ladylake

I just got out of the shop, sharpened 5 bandsaw blades and 4 chainsaw chains in 45 minutes, good hourly wages.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Nomad

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 14, 2015, 08:00:47 PM
I'm using 1.25" .055" bands. I'll have to dig out a slip for the last box I bought. I seem to remember it was around $ 280 shipped.

Just ordered 1 box of 1.5x.055 blades yesterday.  $288 plus tax and shipping. That's 10 blades per box.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Deese

Quote from: xlogger on April 15, 2015, 06:46:34 AM
It cost me about one Bud Light per blade to sharpen ;D. I only try to sharpen a few a night.

You and I are on the same page...
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

rooster 58

Resharp cost me 10.30 per blade, including shipping and handling

fishfighter

Quote from: rooster 58 on April 16, 2015, 06:38:31 AM
Resharp cost me 10.30 per blade, including shipping and handling

So, my math was about right about buying a sharpener. Guess I will.

Deese

Just remember---you've got to do a LOT of sawing to justify investing in a sharpener and setter...And just a bit of advice---if you're gonna spend a couple thousand on a quality sharpener, go ahead and get a dual tooth setter. I bought the sharpener and single tooth setter and wish I would have went ahead and got the duel setter when I was in the money spending mode. You will find yourself going crazy setting teeth with a single tooth setter. It works, just takes forever.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

fishfighter

No need to spend thousands. This is the woodland sharpener I'm looking at.

Cost is $700 plus shipping.

Blade setter, I'm going to build one of those like pineywood's.

beenthere

fishfighter
Which sponsor handles that sharpener?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Looks like this one to me:  Woodland Mills   It also looks like $849 plus shipping.

Cypress Man

IMHO sharpening your own blades is a mixed blessing. Its very convenient to throw on a dull blade and have it ready to go in a few minutes. Although learning how to properly sharpen and set blades is a real challenge, especially using a sharpening stone that has to be constantly shaped to size.  Even after many years of sharpening my own blades on a cbn grinder which is much easier and effective to use, I still believe Woodmizers resharp does a much better job than I can.  I also think buying a good sharpener is very expensive and including your own labor its very hard to ever get your money back out of it. With all that being said having your  own sharpener is very convenient but resharp service is very reliable.
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

scouter Joe

Magicman I think the $849 is in Canadian funds so $700 American sounds about right . scouter Joe

Magicman

OK, I had never realized that Woodland was a Canadian company.  I just went to their site and did some reading so now I know, Thanks.

tmarch

Shipping is the killer for me, to the nearest resharp it'd cost roughly twice as much per blade to use it, for that I can get new blades and sharpen them for however long they cut good or break.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

fishfighter

Yes MM. They also ship out of New York. It is $700 US.

Once I finish with tax season, I'm going to order one and I will report back on it.

Oh, Woodland does have a video of it in operation on there web site.

Thank You Sponsors!