iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dove tail jig?

Started by smith2bj, September 09, 2009, 12:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smith2bj

I am a woodworking teacher and I am looking a a dovetailing jig.  What is a good one that I should look at the is made well and can do droors up to 16"?  I have used a porta-cable one that I really liked but cant find it on line anywhere. 

Radar67

Woodcraft.com carries the Porta cable jig. I have the Leigh and love it.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

woodsteach

Cut 'em by hand ;D ;D.

Welcome Smith, I am and have been a shop teacher for the past 15 yrs.  I've used various jigs and keep going back to hand cut dovetails.  The kids complain at first but they usually come around.

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

beenthere

Also, there are plans (I believe in Woodsmith mag) for making one from hard maple, some plexiglass, and some bolts etc.
That would be a good lesson for the students.

If interested, I might be able to find the plans.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thedeeredude

I had a porter-cable 4212 but that only does 12" wide in the jig.  You can make a special backer board and use just the template for any width possible though.  It was very nice and very quick for smaller boards.  I don't think I ever used it for wide stuff though.  I hate routers and the mess they make so I sold it.

Thank You Sponsors!