iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to saw octagon posts

Started by Larry, May 10, 2011, 08:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I built a little jig to saw octagon posts.

While I was able to saw a dozen posts the jig takes too much fussing around and not accurate nuff for my taste.

Not ready for a Lathe-Mizer quite yet, but was wondering if anybody has a way to saw them?  I'm thinking it is going have to be something like a lathe that index's every 45 degrees.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

band-it lumber

i made  3 jigs with  a 45 degree like you have but they sit on the bed rails hanging down over the bed rail actually so all you have to do is set the cant in them and set your height. they are the width of the bed rail very portable and easier to set up. just a thought

Coon

band-it, do you have any pics of your jigs you could share?
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

mometal77

Prettiest thing I have seen all day... ;D
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

weisyboy

why would you want octogon posts
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Larry

The square 8 X 8 post is about the maximum size that can be cut from a lot of our ERC.  Note the bit of bark and sapwood on the edges.  It rots and attracts PPB's.

A octagon is a perceived value added product and will sell for more money than a square.  I can also machine a finished cap on one end.

One could go a bit further and ask why square over just a natural post?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ely

is that cant square before you start? or is it wider one way than the other?

cmsdave

My uncle Jerry Hayward used to cut octagon posts with the Timber Harvester mill at the trade shows around the USA. He did it with just the controls of the mill and his eyes. Never touched the cant. Was pretty impressive and the posts were pretty cool to give away at the show people loved them.

Tom

So, Jerry was your Uncle, eh? 

I never made a jig to cut octagonal posts either.  You can get them mighty square by eye and turning 180° as much as you can, along with knowing how much to cut off.

Weisyboy, ocatagonal posts are for pizazz.  That's all.   When you custom saw, especially on the road, it's a neat thing to give to a customer for the newal posts for stairs to his cabin, or for a central theme for his kitchen or living room.  It's just a chance for him to have something "Different" than most who buy stick homes.  It's a selling tool to provide customers with the bragging rights to "I built this out of  my own wood".  That is important to be able to sell that idea when your occupation depends upon it.

Whether you charge for it or not, it's special.  I usually gave my customers a couple because they couldn't ask for one if they didn't know they existed.  I also split small logs for the customer so that he could put them around pipe or wire.   Customers don't know to ask for stuff like that unless you educate them.   

When people started asking me for them, I reserved the right to charge a bit extra, though I usually still used it as a Good Will tool most of the time.

Where is Jerry, cmsdave?

chet

Quote from: Tom on May 12, 2011, 04:12:14 PM
Weisyboy, ocatagonal posts are for pizazz.  That's all.   When you custom saw, especially on the road, it's a neat thing to give to a customer for the newal posts for stairs to his cabin, or for a central theme for his kitchen or living room.  It's just a chance for him to have something "Different" than most who buy stick homes.  It's a selling tool to provide customers with the bragging rights to "I built this out of  my own wood".  That is important to be able to sell that idea when your occupation depends upon it.

I cut this post a while back to be used as a center post for a spiral staircase in an upscale super club. If my memory is correct, I think it was around a 20 footer.

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Magicman

Quote from: weisyboy on May 12, 2011, 04:07:45 AM

It's all about giving the customer what he wants.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cmsdave

Tom,

He went to work for a local hardware store as there manager. Then about 2 yrs ago he retired. He built an addition to his house to keep busy. He did a great job with it. He is spending as much time with his grandkids as he can and living on the lake.

Dave

bandmiller2

Helped our local T. Harvestor dealer at some shows.He had memorized dimentions for octagon posts first square cant then cut the corners,slicker than a school marms leg. Folks liked them for porch columns.[sp]
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

cmsdave

Bandmiller2

My guess that was Teddy your talking about. He and his wife did a great job for Timber Harvester. I had many great years with them. Ted could do the octogon post very well. I loved his laugh just made you smile.

Dave

ladylake

Quote from: weisyboy on May 12, 2011, 04:07:45 AM

Cuz were not square heads over here.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

Good going Larry..   The having the jig laying on the bed idea might be easyier. Turn the cant close with the turner ,raise it with the toe boards, slip the jigs under it and lower. Then you could use the same hieght setting for sawing off all 4 corners.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

CMSDave,yup your right good friends with Ted and Earlene.I used to tail for him at a local farm fair.Everyone knows Ted and when he'd start talking I'd just sit down and light up a cigar.I think I met you, Dave, at the big Vermont show a few years back,was rainy if I remember.  Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

cmsdave

Frank I am so bad with names. I am sure if I saw you again I would recognize you. I loved going to all the shows and running the mills. Once sawdust is in the blood can never get it out.

Thank You Sponsors!