iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Take cover boys! We've got incoming with shrapnel! :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crusarius

I had that problem in the clutch housing on my UTV. hickory nuts sound terrible when getting destroyed in there. sounds like engine exploding.

Prizl tha Chizl

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 29, 2022, 07:24:21 PM
:D :D :D
Well told and written. :D Hope that radiator is OK.

It was running on stop leak as it was. The aftermarket one is $349 off of eBay vs $568 for the "approved fit." 

On the plus side, I was able to catch about 6 quarts of coolant! :snowball:
"The Woods Is My Church"

SawyerTed

Murphy caught up with me on Wednesday afternoon.  While what I did wasn't "dumb" exactly, what happened was dumb.  

My shop has been a mess for some time. Despite that, I bought a Woodmaster 718 planer/molder.  Before installing the planer I have been cleaning up.  I have a 24'x30' shop with 14x30 sheds on the sides. Across from the shop I have a prefab 12x20 storage building.  The storage building has a ramp on the front and double doors.  

Some items in the big shop have to be transferred either temporarily or permanently to the storage building to make room to clean up and rearrange the big shop. 

Wednesday afternoon I was moving some sawmill tools to the storage. I was standing the ramp, holding two cant hooks  in my right hand and digging for the key in my pocket with my left hand.  The ramp was damp and apparently slick from the rain earlier in the day.  

My feet slipped and I fell hard on the wooden ramp.  At the time it wasn't so bad.  I got up and continued to work.  This morning I feel like I have been hit by a truck.  

I don't think anything specific is damaged but sore from my right hip to my neck and a pretty big bruise on my hip if which I will refrain from posting pictures  :o :D

I'll heal but my morning project is to install cleats on the ramp, if I can bend enough. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

sorry man, that delayed response can really get ya. Kind of like Howard's rib issue.  Slick wood is really tough. I too have a small ramp on the storage shed and I have to be very careful all the time.
 Feel better man.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

OUch.  Man, that wet wood will surprise you sometimes.  Several years ago I was trying to move a cedar log on my trailer.  Of course the trailer deck was set.  My feet slipped out from under and my face went right into the log.  Hit the bridge of my nose right on the corner of the log end.  Was seeing stars and bleeding from a cut.  I'm sure I posted that here when it happened.  Hope you feel better soon.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

Have had to go to the chiropractor lately as my back has been acting up, pain down the legs, etc basically same stuff, different day. Nothing like when I got hurt, but it happens.

Well, had a first calf heifer that would not go into the milking barn the other day, she was in the pen, but refused to cooperate, so I figured we would put a halter on her and she would calm down. Would not stand for that so I grabbed my rope, punched a hole in it and headed her. Now normally in a small area, with a heifer that has been handled, I can just set my feet and she isn't going anywhere, at most to the end of the rope. Well, we have finally started to get rain so the ground is soupy. I planted my feet in the mud and she took me mud skiing, bound and determined not to let go that lasted until my feet came out from under me and the sky and ground inverted.

Came down on my right shoulder hard, in the mud, and now mad. The good part was when I got up, still holding the rope, I herd a bunch of "snap, crackle, pop" right up my spine better than any adjustments the DR has ever done. I was instantly limber and the leg is pain free, mostly because it got scared and transferred to the shoulder I suspect. 

Told my wife we need to open a "Cowrowpractor" practice and get these girls to make some real money for us.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

SS,

I believe all that tale except the part about the mud skiing. 'Fess up. I have been around cattle barns and dairies and such. It was fresh cow manure wasn't it? :D Hope there is no permanent damage. It is quick and easy to get hurt around large, scared animals in tight spaces,

Ted,

If you have some old shingles laying around and aren't worried about the cosmetics involved, they are great for providing traction on places like that. I have an 8' ramp going to one of our shooting houses and I lad 3 of them down end to end on it and they work great on the snow and ice and mold that wants to build up there. I hope there is nothing but temporary bruising.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

I did something similar 20 or 25 years ago.  Back when I was lighter, faster, stronger and a bit dumber.  I roped a young polled Hereford calf, only thing is she was in a trot when I got her.  The rope made her turn on the jets!

The ensuing aerial backflip was impressive according to the "audience"!   :D :D  It is something I never had done previously or since.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Don P

I just got home from your neighborhood Ted. Big Sis and BIL both went up to the observation tower on Moore's knob yesterday morning and both slipped on the icy rocks up there, luckily soft landings. Happily, I twisted an ankle a week ago and declined to leave the cabin. First time we have all been able to get together in over 2 years. You live in a nice area, and the roads around the north side equal ours. It did make me flash back to the last time I was there, amazingly long time ago. It was the day before SAT's and we went climbing. On the way back I got a bum slim jim from a dusty country store. I thought it was nerves but bubbleguts ensued about halfway through the math part of the test... which I probably would have flunked anyway  :D

For the dumb thing, the ankle. A need for some 6x6's to stack some wood on at work, there was one with a lag screw dangling out of its side. We proceeded to stack lumber. As I walked by the 6x6 my shoelace snagged that dangling lag and rolled my ankle. Be careful out there, for me it usually isn't the big dangers, I see them, its the dumb little mistakes.

beenthere

This Moore's Knob?
Hanging Rock State Park | North Carolina | Great Photo Ops | Moore's Knob Trail | Moore's Wall Loop - YouTube

Didn't like the drama in the video or the dubbed music, but with sound off there were some good scenery. Beautiful spot. Think was 50 years ago now, but if the same then it was enjoyed. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

firefighter ontheside

You could try 100 times to get that shoe lace to hook the lag and miss every time, but well you know the rest of the story.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

That's it, looks like I had to come home to make it to the top  :D. It was very clear when my Sister and BIL got to the top. She easily saw Grandfather Mt and from her description I'm pretty sure she was seeing Mt Rogers and Whitetop, around 100 miles. At that tower they were about level with the house here up on the Blue Ridge,

SawyerTed

Yes, Stokes County and Hanging Rock State Park are hidden gems here in the Northwest Piedmont of NC.  We can see Moore's Knob from our deck as well as cook's wall.  Along with Pilot Mountain, HSP is among the most visited state parks we have.  Forget getting a weekend camp site without reservations well ahead. 

We've had just enough freezing weather to make slick spots on the trails in the shade.

@Don P hope the ankle mends quickly.  

SawyerTed

The park and most of the amenities like the lake bath house and the lake dam etc were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps.  All the stone was quarried in the park.  I've been visiting since 1972 and the park itself is mostly unchanged with the exception of the campground and a modern visitor center.  

In recent years several large parcels of land have been added making the Park in excess of 8,000 acres.  

Rhodemont

Was setting a 6x6 white oak for a gate post yesterday.  Pulled the old post, dug out the loose soil from the bottom of the hole and was now ready to drop a new post in.  Stood the post up, gave it a bear hug to lift and started to give it a body slam down into the hole.  Just as I did the side wall of the hole caved and my left foot slid into the hole.  The post went right where it was supposed to and had an encounter with my foot in the hole on the way.  Then, since I went down and released the post I was laying there with my foot in the hole and the post fell over and landed on my arm.  Well I need new laces for my boots, ice for my foot, and heating pad for my bruised forearm.  Good thing it is cold and raining today so I can recover without going out to try it again.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

WV Sawmiller

Rhody,

Please don't make me laugh! I am still suffering from my 3 broken ribs from last week then I get the picture of you sitting there trying to explain to someone why you have one leg stuck down in a posthole with a 6X6 white oak post on top of it. :D I know it's not funny and I am sorry to hear you got banged up but it would take some explaining. ;) It sounds like something I would have done.
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Holy cow Rhodemont! Were you ever a ghost writer for Pat McManus? :D
 Truly I am sorry for your injury, lucky you didn't break that ankle. But reading your post I had tears in my eyes. Hope you feel better tomorrow.

Part of me wants to say "no pictures, it didn't happen", but in this case I'll let that slide. Feel better man.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

fluidpowerpro

I think I saw the same thing happen once in an episode of the 3 stooges. :D
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Rhodemont

Yep, I am laughing about it myself. Mariann just rolled back her eyes with that "What you do now" look.  WV, only thing worse would have been if it fell over on my body rather than my arm. Old G, wish I did have a video of it.  I would send it in for the pilot of the next generation of Stooges.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Resonator

Quoteso I can recover without going out to try it again.
Good idea, sometimes it's best to re-think and re-group before re-trying and possibly re-injuring. (Or so I've heard). :-X
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

KenMac

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 22, 2022, 12:47:59 PM
  Well, I had to sleep on the couch as it was too painful on the bed and could not turn on either side. I felt like there was a grating feeling this morning so called my PA only to find she has the flu and they suggested going to the ER as even if they gave me a form to get one there would not be anybody there at the office to read it until next week.

We went to the ER and I don't think my wife missed  pothole or took any turn at less than 6 G's the whole way. They did an X-ray and confirmed ribs 8,9 & 10 were fractured so did a CT to make sure nothing was punctured or torn. Sounds like everything is intact so other than popping pain pills/Ibuprophin and maybe a heat pad on it there is nothing required except rest. We will see how that works out.

Could certainly have been a lot worse as my phone was thrown from my pocket and if I'd been pinned I could not have reached it. Nobody would have had any reason to look for me for at least half an hour or later after dark - about 6 hours away.
Well Howard, at least you will have plenty of time to keep up with our new coach's activities while you recuperate!
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

sawguy21

My oh shoot moment is minor compared to some of yours, especially Howards, but still very annoying. I started my day by dropping a freshly opened can of coffee. :'( I salvaged most of it, the coffee is lump free and tastes ok but still.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawyerTed

I went back and read the original post in this thread.  Sawguy21, spilled coffee is very much in the same league as that first post. 

firefighter ontheside

Ted, that was very naive me with my very new to me sawmill.  Little did I expect that post would have thousands of replies 3 years later.  I guess it's all about the title of the thread.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!