iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does anyone use a scythe regularly?

Started by LaneC, April 16, 2020, 11:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

I was wondering how efficient and light a scythe is. I cannot run a weed eater due to a very messed up back, but in what little research I have done, it seems like a different approach to clearing some weeds. As always, all comments are appreciated.
Man makes plans and God smiles

thecfarm

I don't know if you could use a scythe. I have used one just a little, but that swinging motion, I would think, would bother you. A scythe has some weight to it, and it's the wrong type of weight, away from your body.
How much weed wacking you got to do? Put a wheel onto the end of the shaft to run along on the ground?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

I agree with Cfarm.I think you would find the motion needed to use a scythe would not be good for your back.I have tried to use one and it was not so pretty to watch. My language was not appropriate either.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

dgdrls

I would not try a scythe with a soft back.
If its not a large area look for a grass whip, or a weed cutter at your local H&G center
very light and a single arm pendulum type swing work its.

D

stanmillnc

I regularly cut a 5 acre field with a scythe growing up, because we couldn't afford a mower. As a young man with a strong back, this was a good workout for me and it didn't bother my back too much. However, scythe swinging wreaks havoc on the lower back and the twisting motion would be impossible to do without injuring myself now. If you have trouble with a weed-whacker, scythe work would be out of the question in my opinion. I can't think of a harder way to cut a field! Ironically, one of the scythe's I used was branded "The Back-Saver!"

Jeff

I can remember as a kid watching my dad toil with a scythe. He spent a lot of time stooped over it with a file a stone and a steel too. Even as a kid I thought, man, there must be a better way!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sedgehammer

Quote from: 47sawdust on April 17, 2020, 06:31:25 AM
I agree with Cfarm.I think you would find the motion needed to use a scythe would not be good for your back.I have tried to use one and it was not so pretty to watch. My language was not appropriate either.
I wasn't there, but by your description of the experience, I'd say you did in fact use proper language...... ;D
Necessity is the engine of drive

Dave Shepard

A properly maintained scythe will be a pleasure to use, however, if your back can't handle a weed eater, a scythe may not be any better. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

Never used one - never want to. Have you looked into one of the push trimmer such as shown below? Not endorsing a particular design just the basic concept. Good luck.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dr-power-equipment-walk-behind-string-trimmer-carb-compliant
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I am trying to avoid a scythe, more especially the: Scythe of Time
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

If memory serves me correctly the last time I used one was in 1966, and once more in the next 54 years will be too often.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

LaneC

:D I appreciate the advice. After listening to the comments, it seems to me that there will be some very lucky weeds in the future that will enjoy a full life cycle without being cut :). I appreciate all the input and thanks a bunch.

moodnacreek

I never learned as a boy. Thank God for weed wackers.

Old Greenhorn

I bought a nice scythe at a farmers market about 2 years ago and put an edge on it. It could use some more work, but I like it so far. I got it to do weeds around and in, the pond across the road. It is a workout, you have to take your time and to go crazy. Smooth even strokes and try to avoid bending too much. Where it excels is tall grass. Weed whackers choke on this stuff but the scythe does not. Avoid rocks too. :D No, I don not use it in place of the weed whacker, but when the stuff is tall, this really works for me. Your mileage may vary.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

sawguy21

I tried one in my youth and decided it was not for me, an old timer put me to shame. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

My Father showed me how to use one. Years ago that's all they used to mow the "fields". The fields around here had rocks all over the place. I asked my Dad how they could mow all that. I was use to a six foot cutter bar. Some places was not even 6 feet between the rocks. I say fields. This was up in the woods with trees at least 2 feet across. My father would say, I can remember when they mowed this. My father was born in 1923,had me when he was 42 years old. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

A scythe is more for open areas where a weed wacker can get up close to buildings, fences, etc. For tall grass, weeds and briars I like a hedge trimmer attachment on the weed eater. As far as the back goes you may need to look at harnesses to better distribute the weight, at least with the weed eater you can work slower without fast swinging motions. I've found the easiest on my back to be paying the neighbor kid to do it.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Oliver05262

LaneC, if you were closer to me, I would say stop by and take your pick. I have maybe five hanging in the back of the shop. One is a pretty new brush scythe, and I quickly found out why it is still almost new. Wicked heavy. The others all grass scythes in various states of age and decrepity, kinda like me. I couldn't swing one for long, now.
 One each free for each eager member of the town road crew. Make a donation to the forum.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

moodnacreek

Dave Shepard

A properly tuned scythe is no harder to run than a brushcutter. If it's dull, then it's going to be a fight. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

maple flats

If used properly a scythe is easy to use, but form is the key. The swing is at a twisting of the lower back (50%) and the arms (50%). I don't think anyone with a lower back issue would be able to do it. By the way, I have at least 5 scythes, some are much lighter than the others, but none are light.
However, a good sharp scythe will trim far better and faster than any weed trimmer, in the right hands. Even at 73 I can still cut with a scythe for about 30 minutes at a time, but not on over grown weeds, timely cutting is the key. My Dad (born in 1912) and moved from a coal mining community to a poor farm at age 9 taught me how to use and sharpen a scythe. I don't use it for field cutting but I use it to clean around a pond, next to buildings and near fences.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

petefrom bearswamp

Other than the "misery whip) AKA 6' or longer, crosscut saw the only thing that comes to mind is the scythe.
Used only sparingly in my youth, as I ran and tried to hidewhen my dad "suggested" I mow our lower 1/2 acre garden spot around the edges.
When I was a young man working in western Albany county NY in the early to mid 60s there was an older, probably in his late 60s or early 70s man named Adam Messer that was hired by the local town to mow the roadside of the road he lived on using this abominable tool. 
I would see him working along slowly and sometimes he was sharpening the awful tool.
Also when young, I remember seeing a good number of cradle scythes another tool of Satan that must have been absolute torture to use.
Imagine a 4 to 6 pound scythe with the "cradle" attached weighing another 4 or 5 pounds to harvest grain.
When the cradle was full it must have weighed plenty
Those folks were a lot ruggeder than me and I suspect most of us on the forum.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

sawguy21

Misery whip, that is another tool I learned to avoid. You are right Pete, they were a tough lot but used what was available. No wonder the gas powered trimmer and combine were invented. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

LaneC

Thanks for the offer Oliver, I appreciate it. I may have to wait til this winter and burn them. it will not be a big problem. thanks to everyone for the replies.

Kindlinmaker

Certainly not an option if a gas trimmer is problematic.  I never mastered the scythe but admired watching my father handle one.  It wasn't a pure back twisting motion but rather a reach, draw and turn motion all at once.  And it was not only cutting but also laying in clean row for drying and efficient raking when used for harvesting.  Like so many tools of that era, hard on their bodies but an absolute pleasure to observe; a working man's ballet.
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

Thank You Sponsors!