iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tearing Stuff Up

Started by metalspinner, May 09, 2021, 03:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

It happened when hauling the load of T&G home. Saw smoke in my rear view mirror and eased on over to the shoulder of the highway. I'm lucky this wheel didn't go flying off! It wa dangling there like a loose front tooth. 

Anyway, I called a tow truck and he scooped it up and set the trailer down back at my place. 

The bottom of the spindle was gauled up pretty good. I had to use a cutoff wheel to remove what was left of the front bearing. It was "welded" to the spindle. 

Anyway, I got it cleaned up and found a set of bearings locally.  

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

And THAT folks, is just 1 example of why we do periodic maintenance on our "stuff". Don't worry though, because you're far from alone. I've done stuff just like that WAY to many times, I did say way to many! 🤫

Water intrusion on 4X4 bearings are always what got me. In fact, water will ALWAYS figure out where the easiest spots to invade are. That's just 1 of the reasons that I don't play in the mud anymore. Rocks leave "battle scars" but don't tear up what water does.
Trying harder everyday.

Southside

It doesn't count if the wheel doesn't pass you in a turn.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tacotodd

I don't normally let trailer wheel brgs get that bad, but it's easy to forget vehicle brgs, especially when that was the only one that I was privileged to use.
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

Quote from: Southside on May 09, 2021, 09:01:32 PM
It doesn't count if the wheel doesn't pass you in a turn.  :D
I think ive had 3 trailer tires pass me, and one steer with knuckle still attached.  Also left a trailer axle behind once.  
Praise The Lord

Southside

Now that's getting into bragging territory!  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Maybe.  But i promise its not the kinda trophy anyone really wants to endure.  Im not doing much with a 1 axle gooseneck behind a 5 wheeler international these days. 
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Quote from: Tacotodd on May 09, 2021, 08:41:08 PM
And THAT folks, is just 1 example of why we do periodic maintenance on our "stuff". Don't worry though, because you're far from alone. I've done stuff just like that WAY to many times, I did say way to many! 🤫

Water intrusion on 4X4 bearings are always what got me. In fact, water will ALWAYS figure out where the easiest spots to invade are. That's just 1 of the reasons that I don't play in the mud anymore. Rocks leave "battle scars" but don't tear up what water does.
Off-roading your truck is a fast track way to just destroying it. I haven't been "off-roading" since I was a teenager  :D sunk my truck for 3 days nobody could pull it out, never again after that, atvs in mud only  ;D
A1

Gary_C

Quote from: mike_belben on May 10, 2021, 01:04:14 AM
 Im not doing much with a 1 axle gooseneck behind a 5 wheeler international these days.
Me neither. In fact I've never seen a 5 wheeler before. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Sedgehammer

My dad had a goose with those type of trailer axles. N.E.V.E.R. again

Ticks me off that many hubs don't have a means of greasing them with a gun
Necessity is the engine of drive

mike_belben

Quote from: Gary_C on May 10, 2021, 04:36:12 AM
Quote from: mike_belben on May 10, 2021, 01:04:14 AM
Im not doing much with a 1 axle gooseneck behind a 5 wheeler international these days.
Me neither. In fact I've never seen a 5 wheeler before.
Start with a 6 wheeler and remove the steer spindle retaining mechanism at speed. Youll figure it out. 
;D
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!