The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Linus checks out Starlink  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Old enough to know better, but ya only live once!
    • Share Post
Re: Linus checks out Starlink
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2021, 08:59:50 AM »
Our order was just confirmed. Should be arriving shortly. Can't wait. While our download speeds are ok, it's our uploads that suck. 1mbps. We're still uploading pictures from my wife's cell phone from a month ago. I have to keep canceling the upload during the day or no internet. 

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2021, 01:09:47 PM »
Just received an update email from Starlink last night. We'll see if some of the changes they've made reduce the incidences of that brief stutter we've been having (though I think the real issue is that I need to get the dish off of the picnic table in my side yard and up on to the roof, where it will avoid that small amount of obstruction it sees in its current location.)

Throughout the beta program, customer feedback has helped drive some of our most important changes to date as we continue to test and scale the network.

The Starlink team has implemented a number of improvements since our last update. Below are some of the key highlights:
Starlink Expansion
Since rollout of initial U.S. service in October 2020, Starlink now offers limited beta service in Canada, U.K., Germany and New Zealand. To date, we have deposits from almost every country around the world; going forward, our ability to expand service will be driven in large part by governments granting us licensing internationally.

Preventative Maintenance

Recently some beta users saw short but more frequent outages, particularly in the evening hours. This was caused by two main issuesó preventive maintenance on various ground gateways, coupled with a network logic bug that intermittently caused some packet processing services to hang until they were reset. The good news is fixes were implemented and users should no longer see this particular issue.

Gateway Availability
As more users come online, the team is seeing an increase in surges of activity, particularly during peak hours.  The gateway infrastructure to support these types of surges is in place, but we are awaiting final regulatory approval to use all available channels.  Near term fixes have been implemented to facilitate better load balancing in the interim, and this issue will fully resolve once all approvals are received.

Dynamic Frame Allocation
The Starlink software team recently rolled out our dynamic frame allocation feature which dynamically allocates additional bandwidth to beta users based on real time usage. This feature enables the network to better balance load and deliver higher speeds to the user.

Connecting to the Best Satellite

Today, your Starlink speaks to a single satellite assigned to your terminal for a particular period of time.  In the future, if communication with your assigned satellite is interrupted for any reason, your Starlink will seamlessly switch to a different satellite, resulting in far fewer network disruptions. There can only be one satellite connected to your Starlink at any time, but this feature will allow for choice of the best satellite.  This feature will be available to most beta users in April and is expected to deliver one of our most notable reliability improvements to date.
These upgrades are part of our overall effort to build a network that not only reaches underserved users, but also performs significantly better than traditional satellite internet.  

To that end, the Starlink team is always looking for great software, integration and network engineers. If you want to help us build the internet in space, please send your resume to starlinksoftwarejobs@spacex.com.

Thank you for your feedback and continued support!

The Starlink Team
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2021, 09:17:18 AM »
To keep from doing research myself, how much downloaded data will each customer be allowed each month or is it unlimited?  My wife and I max out monthly data allowance from hughes net within a couple weeks.  And we don't do movies or hook up to a smart tv. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2021, 01:23:24 PM »
To keep from doing research myself, how much downloaded data will each customer be allowed each month or is it unlimited?  My wife and I max out monthly data allowance from hughes net within a couple weeks.  And we don't do movies or hook up to a smart tv.
There are currently no limits. They are not guaranteeing there will never be limits. They do recognize that they may need to put a policy in place at some point to address "abusers".
That has some people worried - there is concern that they will get sucked in, and then get hit with "extras" down the road. I'm not worried about it at this point. It is so much better than the flaky DSL line we had, that I jumped on it. (In theory 7 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up - but that's only on a good day, and we're likely to loose it entirely or slow to slightly better than dial up speeds when it rains or the wind blows stronger than a stiff breeze.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2021, 02:18:22 PM »
 @John Mc my wife read some excerpts from that a few days ago.  It does seem to working better with very few interruptions.  The first time my son tried to do his skype trombone lesson it kept cutting off completely.  The one he did last night was flawless.  Also my other son has online all day wednesday and I think that only had a few very short buffering moments.  We are very happy at this point.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2021, 09:59:40 PM »
Dishy McFlatface to become ?fully mobile,? allowing Starlink use away from home | Ars Technica

Currently the starlink base station needs to stay put, but by end of year you should be able to move it around (more satellites and a software update coming) 

Dishy McFlatface  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2021, 08:00:29 AM »
I saw that Ian.  I told my wife she can be the one who climbs up the 32' ladder to get the thing down from the roof and then pull out all the wire so we can take it with us in the camper.  This is all great, but until they make it where the 100' cord disconnects at the dish it will never be practical.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2021, 09:48:04 AM »
My sister sent me a link to a similar story.  She called me last night and said that was good news - I wouldn't have to buy two.  One for the house and one for the cabin.  I could just move it when I need it.  The only problem is I need internet at the house all the time for the solar monitoring (and Netflix for others that are staying home) and will need it all the time up at the cabin so I can have cameras there to view the weather from home.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2021, 03:08:07 AM »
My sister sent me a link to a similar story.  She called me last night and said that was good news - I wouldn't have to buy two.  One for the house and one for the cabin.  I could just move it when I need it.  The only problem is I need internet at the house all the time for the solar monitoring (and Netflix for others that are staying home) and will need it all the time up at the cabin so I can have cameras there to view the weather from home.
Fair enough, you actually NEED 2 different internet connections. Other folks want their one  internet connection to work wherever they are. 
It's a bit like Starlink not being a magic solution for everyone. But there are several million people that it WILL be the best option for. Some of those will be mobile, as in, live in a housebus etc.  Housebus is an old (or newer Japanese) bus converted into a camper. 2 people we know live that way and don't have ANY fixed address. Park up, drag out the Antenna and clip it in place on the top of the bus would work for them. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
woodt checks in

Started by woodmills1 on General Board

10 Replies
Last post August 26, 2004, 08:24:31 PM
by ScottAR
xx
Surface Checks

Started by Glenn1 on Drying and Processing

2 Replies
Last post January 12, 2017, 06:55:26 PM
by Den Socling